Got my feelings hurt today. = (

I'm sorry this happened to you. I don't carry my designer bags to work. I work at a non-profit and don't make a ton of cash so I think it's easier to not have people (potentially) judge my bags. Basic black leather tote for work.

Reading stories like this really upset me. Why are people so mean and who is she to judge? If anything, she should tell you what a smart investment you made. You could sell your bags today and make a profit. Why not treat yourself to a few quality bags that you will have for years to come. Sorry your experience, but keep your head up and shoulders back. Carry your handbags with pride. You deserve them!

I am very sorry this happened to you. To be completely honest, if someone came to me asking for financial advice and I gave it and I have no interest in designer purses, I would also disagree that you'd spend good money on bags. I would have no right to, but I'd still feel it. Again, what you spend your money on is your prerogative .. hope you don't feel too bad for much longer .. try to understand things from her side .. I hope it makes you see it from a different perspective and maybe not feel as bad? Please enjoy your bag .. you sound like someone who has good financial understanding.

Sorry this happened to you. I totally understand how you feel. I always have to hide my shopping from colleagues. Sometimes just a bit more expensive skincare as a little treat for myself and they look at me like it's a crime.
I don't quite understand these people, how come they don't shop. If you work hard to pay your bills, fund you family, put a bit into saving, why don't you deserve something nice.:shrugs:
Everybody deserves a bit of treats. Like you said some people go get their hair and nails done, some people go to expensive restaurant, what's wrong with us buying LV if we already budgeted for it. At least you're on tpf, you've got us so cheer up and keep LV coming. :smooch:

It's perfectly understandable (and normal) to have gotten hurt by what your AD did - I know I would be.

I do hope though, that it doesn't tarnish your relationship with her. It may not be the best way to deliver the message, but I agree with the others who say that she seemed to have good intentions.

She was there to help you when you needed it most, and to me it looks like a life-changing type of help, which tells me that this person truly cares.

Perhaps you could talk to her and explain why you got hurt, and explain to her why you wanted to spend on a beautiful bag. See how she reacts before we all pass judgment on her character based on this incident.

And going to HR is a terrible idea because (1) the issue is personal, (2) you risk putting a target on your back, and (3) you also risk losing your relationship with a person who cares.

I hope you are feeling much better now. By the way, LVoe your collection!

HR is there to ensure that employees are treating each other with dignity and respect... it's PRECISELY this kind of situation that they can help take care of. Implying that a target would be placed on her by going to HR is just saying that HR doesn't really do its job. I know that in my company it certainly does... not sure about others.

I would consider going to HR if a fellow employee makes me feel uncomfortable because that's the professional way to handle situations that arise in the work place, be they personal or professional.

Perhaps going to HR after one occurence is a bit premature, which is why I also suggested she directly address the AD.

Thank you all for your caring advice. I'm still going to carry my LV. I'm not going to let this ruin our friendship as I've worked with her for so long and don't plan on going anywhere else for awhile. I'll just be a stronger person and just more careful and keep my personal life separate for a while if not indefinitely. You're a great group of gals and I'm so glad I have people that are understanding.

I'll begin with my premise. I'm probably in the lower middle class income wise, so everything nice I get I take very good care of. Sometimes , I ask my assistant director for some financial advice to see where I can cut corners and squeeze every penny there is. She's normally very nice and knowledgeable and great with finances.

Flash forward, after paying off debts and being responsible with my income tax money, I purchased a Louis Vuitton. (The ellipse MM) I got it new for a great price and was proud of that.

Meanwhile my bills are always paid, my family is fed and happy and get pretty much whatever they want or need within reason. I had a little extra money set aside and got one last LV purse (my mini sarria)

I wore this purse today and my assistant director says to me ... "Is that a new purse?" I replied, "yes, but I didn't pay full price if that's what you mean.."

She says, "what brand is it?"
Me: Louis Vuitton
She says, " I can't believe a person in your financial situation would waste their money on something like that. I guess you really don't have all of your priorities in order. I can't even look at you right now.....

She went on and on and basically said a purse is nothing but something you put your crap in...

I don't know. I just felt hurt by her saying all this, and she did it in front of my director, who didn't say anything but, "I don't have a purse fetish.. " ( they carry Michael kors)

It made me feel like because I'm not in the same league and tax bracket that they are, I'm not entitled to a few indulgences. :sad:. None of my purchases came out of our family bank account. No bills or needs went unmet. I dunno. Just made me felt bad and wanted to talk to people that understand me. Thanks for listening. :sad:
Very sorry you had to deal with a nasty "hater". This person sounds judgmental and very immature to say the least. Carry your LV with pride and don't let her lack of social class bother you ever again.

Thank you all for your caring advice. I'm still going to carry my LV. I'm not going to let this ruin our friendship as I've worked with her for so long and don't plan on going anywhere else for awhile. I'll just be a stronger person and just more careful and keep my personal life separate for a while if not indefinitely. You're a great group of gals and I'm so glad I have people that are understanding.

and guys... ;) haha

I think as long as you can keep up with your finances, able to provide for your family and not depending on anyone else, what you do with your extra money is nobody else's business.

I think you should rather feel bad for your co-worker since she actually felt terrible for something that shouldn't even affect her LOL

So let her waste her precious time worrying about your purchase while you enjoy your new bag :smile:

I'll begin with my premise. I'm probably in the lower middle class income wise, so everything nice I get I take very good care of. Sometimes , I ask my assistant director for some financial advice to see where I can cut corners and squeeze every penny there is. She's normally very nice and knowledgeable and great with finances.

Flash forward, after paying off debts and being responsible with my income tax money, I purchased a Louis Vuitton. (The ellipse MM) I got it new for a great price and was proud of that.

Meanwhile my bills are always paid, my family is fed and happy and get pretty much whatever they want or need within reason. I had a little extra money set aside and got one last LV purse (my mini sarria)

I wore this purse today and my assistant director says to me ... "Is that a new purse?" I replied, "yes, but I didn't pay full price if that's what you mean.."

She says, "what brand is it?"
Me: Louis Vuitton
She says, " I can't believe a person in your financial situation would waste their money on something like that. I guess you really don't have all of your priorities in order. I can't even look at you right now.....

She went on and on and basically said a purse is nothing but something you put your crap in...

I don't know. I just felt hurt by her saying all this, and she did it in front of my director, who didn't say anything but, "I don't have a purse fetish.. " ( they carry Michael kors)

It made me feel like because I'm not in the same league and tax bracket that they are, I'm not entitled to a few indulgences. :sad:. None of my purchases came out of our family bank account. No bills or needs went unmet. I dunno. Just made me felt bad and wanted to talk to people that understand me. Thanks for listening. :sad:

That was very harsh. Regardless of your income class everyone is entitled to a vice in life. As long as you said your bills are paid and you are in in debt because of your bags or any indulgence that is your right. No one should judge you. The nice response would have been " good for you" " not at full price. Wow. That rocks gorgeous bag. Enjoy her".

Sorry that happened to you. Really congrats and enjoy your bags sounds like you worked really hard to get them and you deserve to have nice things. :smile:

I'm sorry you feel bad, sometimes its all in the delivery. Perhaps she feels that you ask her for advice about finance, she listens to your financial struggles, feels responsible and cares about your financial life and teaches you how to cut corners and save every little bit, and then you spend that extra money on Another luxury item for yourself. If a friend of mine were asking for my professional advice without fiscal compensation and was claiming financial struggles and I helped her under the guise that she was financialy in a bind and then turned around and bought another lv bag, I would be pretty upset as well. As a good friend, I would feel obligated to tell her how I felt about it. Friends are the family you pick, and if you can't count on your family to tell you the truth....