Buying myself an engagement ring? (Just for fun)

Stereotypes make people think a ring with a big center diamond is an "engagement ring". So this shouldn't matter to you.
But still, for me personally there's only one such ring - the one my DH gave me.

I wear a right hand diamond ring. It was my grandma's first engagement ring that I inherited. I had it reset and love having the bling. I love the idea that a woman can buy her own jewelry (except engagement ring...that should come from the man).

I don't think its a bad idea. I love diamond rings. Society classifies them as 'engagement rings' but an engagement ring is something your S/O presents to you when he's asking you to marry him. For some that could even be a bottle cap.

I have bought myself 'engagement rings' simply because I love diamond rings.

You can definitely buy urself a diamond ring but I do think it's weird if you wear it on ur left hand no matter what the occasion is

Save your left hand for that once in a lifetime moment :smile:

Go for it, and wear it however and wherever you want. You don't have to explain anything to anyone, and who cares what others have to say! "Society says you should blah blah...." is usually just another nonsensical rule waiting to be broken.

Honestly these kinds of threads make me sad because the world would be a happier place if people stopped caring so much what others think of them. You should buy and wear what makes you happy!

I agree that if the ring doesn't come with a proposal, it isn't an engagement ring. Buy and wear what you please. The only thing you might want to consider (or you might not - it depends on you and your SO) is if your SO will feel pressured to propose or like you beat him to the punch, so to speak. Then again, he may not feel that way and/or you might not care. Overall I am a big fan of buying oneself beautiful things, jewelry included.

I like the idea of buying yourself a colored diamond. With a regular engagement ring, your boyfriend might feel upstaged if he ever proposed or it might make for some awkward conversations when you are at an event with him and people ask if you guys are engaged. But ultimately, you should do what makes you happy, and if that includes a sparkly diamond on your hand, then go for it!

i am happily married and recently bought myself a bling right hand diamond ring ... and i love it ... i bought it as a treat to myself ...and now i have blings on both my hands :biggrin:

so if u want to buy urself a big diamond bling ring ... i say go for it ... dont worry what others might say or not say .... do what makes u happy ...

I like the idea of buying yourself a colored diamond. With a regular engagement ring, your boyfriend might feel upstaged if he ever proposed or it might make for some awkward conversations when you are at an event with him and people ask if you guys are engaged. But ultimately, you should do what makes you happy, and if that includes a sparkly diamond on your hand, then go for it!

Awkward conversations indeed. You need to speak with your boyfriend because he might think you are trying to pressure him into something he's not ready for.

Alright now, so here's my story: I'm quite young and have been in a committed relationship for three years now but have no intentions to get engaged anytime soon... but I really want a big shiny diamond ring on my finger. I love how extravagant engagement rings can look. I'm always admiring everyone else's rings and would love a piece of hand candy. Do you think it's wrong of me to buy myself an engagement ring, but wear it on my right hand? Occasionally maybe slip it onto my left hand when I'm heading to the bar and don't feel like getting hit on. ;)
I asked a friend and she told me it would be kind of weird, and that I should just wait until I end up getting engaged.
Well first off, what does your bf think of it?
If you do though, be prepared for lots of questions, if you don't care then do it.

Alright now, so here's my story: I'm quite young and have been in a committed relationship for three years now but have no intentions to get engaged anytime soon... but I really want a big shiny diamond ring on my finger. I love how extravagant engagement rings can look. I'm always admiring everyone else's rings and would love a piece of hand candy. Do you think it's wrong of me to buy myself an engagement ring, but wear it on my right hand? Occasionally maybe slip it onto my left hand when I'm heading to the bar and don't feel like getting hit on. ;)
I asked a friend and she told me it would be kind of weird, and that I should just wait until I end up getting engaged.

I think it’s a great idea that you are going to buy an engagement ring and want to wear it on your right hand. Yeah it is right that some people will say that it is weird but I think you don’t need to wait for your engagement. :smile: