Is Mahina leather durable?

Aug 6, 2012
Calling all Mahina owners, has yours held up well?

I just bought one in coquille (it's not delivered yet) but I don't know how to care for it. Can it withstand rain, for example?

I understand color transfer issues. I don't wear jeans that much though, I'm always in tights or trousers so I'm not worried. I'm more concerned about the weather, when it rains...or minor everyday spills. Say if my kids' juice drip... or when I help my kids wash their hands and I get splashed.

Will I have to baby it or is it a worry-free bag?

Your inputs are welcome!

I just bought one in coquille (it's not delivered yet) but I don't know how to care for it. Can it withstand rain, for example?

I understand color transfer issues. I don't wear jeans that much though, I'm always in tights or trousers so I'm not worried. I'm more concerned about the weather, when it rains...or minor everyday spills. Say if my kids' juice drip... or when I help my kids wash their hands and I get splashed.

Your inputs are welcome!

Your inputs are welcome!
Congrats on your Mahina! You will love it. Yes, very durable leather ~ mine has been rained and snowed on and I just wipe it dry when I am inside, as I would with any other leather. Be sure to post some pics when your new beauty arrives!

Congrats on your Mahina! You will love it. Yes, very durable leather ~ mine has been rained and snowed on and I just wipe it dry when I am inside, as I would with any other leather. Be sure to post some pics when your new beauty arrives!

that's good to know. is it calf skin?
I've had lamb skin leather before and it's very delicate and high maintenance.

for the hefty price, I want to make sure I can enjoy the bag.

so you just wipe it dry (after rain/snow)? no water spots, whatsoever?

I have mine from when the price tag was $2900, if that helps. I've tossed it around, use it in all weather and have kids. Looks like the day I purchased it. And I have never wiped it off, lol

that's good to know. is it calf skin?
I've had lamb skin leather before and it's very delicate and high maintenance.

for the hefty price, I want to make sure I can enjoy the bag.

so you just wipe it dry (after rain/snow)? no water spots, whatsoever?

Yes, the mahina is calf .... yep, just wipe it dry. I have a darker color (gris elephant) so someone with a lighter color might want to chime in too. I assume it would be fine though, it is not as delicate as you would think. The leather is quite durable and ages beautifully.

I have mine from when the price tag was $2900, if that helps. I've tossed it around, use it in all weather and have kids. Looks like the day I purchased it. And I have never wiped it off, lol

that's amazing. what color do you have?
I got the coquille (nude) color. pre-owned in like new condition.

I saw in another thread that someone had an orange stain on her gris, some speculate that it's spaghetti sauce and it wouldn't come off. I'm terrified of something like this to happen. has anybody had any horrifying experience like that?

Yes, the mahina is calf .... yep, just wipe it dry. I have a darker color (gris elephant) so someone with a lighter color might want to chime in too. I assume it would be fine though, it is not as delicate as you would think. The leather is quite durable and ages beautifully.

I've heard nothing but great feedback so far. :smile: I'm glad I pulled the trigger on this one :smile: