Too Young?

Too young IMO.
I have an almost 13 yr old DD and that's too young too. I am not an advocate of giving such extravagant gifts to children personally. Coach is barely ok IMO.
Can't blame her when it's lost, stolen, Big Red spilled all over it, etc. . .

I have to agree with most Ladies here...

10 to me is really too young... I see your good intent but I don't think she's already that able to understand the worth of a Chanel bag.. In a few years, when she's 18 or so I think it's better... And I think she should know that she has to work to buy such a bag so she can appreciate it right!

Since you asked, I will give you my honest opinion: WAY too young. I don't think teenagers (in high school) should be given them unless they have earned the bag themselves.

Here's why: children should learn the value of a dollar. The price of one of these bags is a small fortune for most of the world. Once they mature and can work themselves, they can appreciate the bag and how fortunate they are to have them.

I agree with the others about a slippery slope. I have a daughter who loves beautiful things and playing dress up but she can do it with age/price appropriate things like her Sophia the First amulet. Maybe by high school if she is responsible then a Coach. But Chanel? No way.

You can "spoil" her in other ways that are more based on experiences than goods. If she doesn't balance hard work with a love for designer things, you aren't preparing her for the real world.

Thanks Everyone for an honest, but nice opinion. On Yahoo! Answers. everyone was being rude about it. I WILL probably get her the pink patent for her birthday. That is probably it.

Something to ponder: If she gets Chanel WOC at age 10, what will she want/expect when she's 15, 18, 21, etc.? Will she understand the value of hard work and money and the world condition as a whole? Those are formative years, years when one finds out about the world outside of the home, and the condition of the inhabitants of this globe. Will you want her looking outside of the sphere of her own living? Maybe she might learn more if she's not surrounded by luxury designer goods in her closet.

Thanks Everyone for an honest, but nice opinion. On Yahoo! Answers. everyone was being rude about it. I WILL probably get her the pink patent for her birthday. That is probably it.

People on Yahoo! are sooooo rude! Like some of the meanest people on the internet. Take what they say with a grain of salt. :hugs:

Too young. A WOC is more than I paid for my first car. And I earned every penny to buy it. Maybe you could encourage her to start saving her own money to buy one in the future.

Something to ponder: If she gets Chanel WOC at age 10, what will she want/expect when she's 15, 18, 21, etc.? Will she understand the value of hard work and money and the world condition as a whole? Those are formative years, years when one finds out about the world outside of the home, and the condition of the inhabitants of this globe. Will you want her looking outside of the sphere of her own living? Maybe she might learn more if she's not surrounded by luxury designer goods in her closet.

Great point!

OP, I understand that you were once a MK fan to now a LV and Chanel fan. I also understand that you're just starting out your collection. Why do you jump to think your 10 years old sister should have one too? I agree with the majority that that is too young for the mere fact that she will not appreciate nor understand the difference between a pink Chanel vs. pink Rebecca Minkoff.

May I ask your age if you don't mind? I feel like you may younger than we think and interestingly what you mentioned about your sister getting is exactly what you want too. If it is coincident that you feel you both need the same purses, then my suggestion is for you to grow your collection first and then pass it on to her.