Too Young?

OP, I understand that you were once a MK fan to now a LV and Chanel fan. I also understand that you're just starting out your collection. Why do you jump to think your 10 years old sister should have one too? I agree with the majority that that is too young for the mere fact that she will not appreciate nor understand the difference between a pink Chanel vs. pink Rebecca Minkoff.

May I ask your age if you don't mind? I feel like you may younger than we think and interestingly what you mentioned about your sister getting is exactly what you want too. If it is coincident that you feel you both need the same purses, then my suggestion is for you to grow your collection first and then pass it on to her.

I'm 15. Actually, she saw my wishlist and said "Can I see what they look like?" I said "Sure Kiddo. Knock yourself out." She goes "They seem expensive, because they are CHANEL, but, I LOVE IT!" I thought she would enjoy having one, since she understands what it is. I am probably just going to buy one for myself, and if we go out to a special occasion let her borrow it. Thanks :smile:

Something to ponder: If she gets Chanel WOC at age 10, what will she want/expect when she's 15, 18, 21, etc.? Will she understand the value of hard work and money and the world condition as a whole? Those are formative years, years when one finds out about the world outside of the home, and the condition of the inhabitants of this globe. Will you want her looking outside of the sphere of her own living? Maybe she might learn more if she's not surrounded by luxury designer goods in her closet.

THIS!!!

Please think twice about getting a ten year old a chanel bag.

I'm 15. Actually, she saw my wishlist and said "Can I see what they look like?" I said "Sure Kiddo. Knock yourself out." She goes "They seem expensive, because they are CHANEL, but, I LOVE IT!" I thought she would enjoy having one, since she understands what it is. I am probably just going to buy one for myself, and if we go out to a special occasion let her borrow it. Thanks :smile:

No offense but what special occasion is a 10 year old going to that a chanel bag would ever be appropriate? just no. Get her a forever 21 pink bag. Problem solved.

Ok you asked so I'm going to be honest and say yes, that she is too young. That is my personal opinion so please don't feel obligated to have the same stance but I really think that 10 is a young child and they don't understand or appreciate Chanel -- or have anything to look forward to as she gets older and really appreciates what she is getting. Of course it sounds like $$ is not an option so maybe she already gets everything and who am I to judge...if you want to buy me 3 WOCs, I'm in! Maybe she will let me borrow them...

I agree - too young. In fact I don't like to see children with designer things at all, or fancy gadgets - but that is just me. I was a single mum and it was not until the later years (now in my 40s) that I have been able to afford these luxuries. But this is just how I feel.

10 is way too young. I do feel like you may spoil her if you start buying chanel at such a young age. She will want more as she grows up. Chanel at 10....she may want a hermes birkin by 15! ;)

even if you can afford to spoil her, the best thing you can do as an older sister is to teach her the value of hard work so she can purchase these things for herself in the future

+2

Last edited:

10 is way too young. I do feel like you may spoil her if you start buying Chanel at such a young age. She will want more as she grows up. Chanel at 10....she may want a hermes birkin by 15! ;)

Even if you can afford to spoil her, the best thing you can do as an older sister is to teach her the value of hard work so she can purchase these things for herself in the future

+3!
Your good intention might end up ruining her! 10 is wayy to young!

You're really sweet to think about this for your little sister, but please, think about another option...and, if I can be honest, I think 15 is too young as well, to be honest. I think it's cool that you're into fashion, and you obviously have great taste, but like others on here have wisely said...what else will there be to look forward to?
I'm a high school English teacher and I've been teaching for almost 10 years now. I see girls everyday in a very wealthy community carrying...backpacks. And less expensive purses. One girl carries a vintage Coach from her mom that she adores, which is awesome, and another recently told me about a special Dooney and Burke her mom got her for Christmas, which she refuses to carry to high school because she doesn't want to ruin it.
I was in my 20s before I got my first Coach from a then-boyfriend, and for my 30th birthday, my mom (who instilled my love for bags, and Coach in particular) finally bought me a beautiful Coach bag and matching wallet. I know Coach is looked down on by many on this forum in general, but I love the brand. My point is, I was shocked at the gift. My 30th bday meant that much more to me because she got me something special THAT many years later.
My first Chanel woc was at 35, and my first Chanel PST was this year at 36. I know many don't wait that long or don't have to, and that's fine...I admire girls in their 20s on here who save hard to buy their first Chanel. I really do.
But 10? 15? Really? I'm just being honest. You can see it as rudeness, but I'm really not trying to be. What are you or your sister going to look forward to at even 18? 21? Life is marked by many special events - birthdays, graduations, etc - and if you already have everything you want, well, everything else is just anticlimactic. Run of the mill. In a word, boring.
Be a teenager! Encourage your sister to be a little kid! Save your cash to blow on going out in college and dressing up on weekends! When you're as old as me, you're going to look back and be happy you did. There's an expression on here that someone used: just because you can doesn't mean you should. My opinion might be unpopular, but I stand by it firmly. Be a kid. Don't rush. Life goes by too fast - trust me - and I'll never regret that I enjoyed being a kid first.

Too young. Let her be a child where so doesn't care what 'brand' her bag is, let her enjoy choosing things she likes because she actually likes them not because your 'parents want her to have a louis vuitton or chanel bag'

Couldn't agree more!

You're really sweet to think about this for your little sister, but please, think about another option...and, if I can be honest, I think 15 is too young as well, to be honest. I think it's cool that you're into fashion, and you obviously have great taste, but like others on here have wisely said...what else will there be to look forward to?
I'm a high school English teacher and I've been teaching for almost 10 years now. I see girls everyday in a very wealthy community carrying...backpacks. And less expensive purses. One girl carries a vintage Coach from her mom that she adores, which is awesome, and another recently told me about a special Dooney and Burke her mom got her for Christmas, which she refuses to carry to high school because she doesn't want to ruin it.
I was in my 20s before I got my first Coach from a then-boyfriend, and for my 30th birthday, my mom (who instilled my love for bags, and Coach in particular) finally bought me a beautiful Coach bag and matching wallet. I know Coach is looked down on by many on this forum in general, but I love the brand. My point is, I was shocked at the gift. My 30th bday meant that much more to me because she got me something special THAT many years later.
My first Chanel woc was at 35, and my first Chanel PST was this year at 36. I know many don't wait that long or don't have to, and that's fine...I admire girls in their 20s on here who save hard to buy their first Chanel. I really do.
But 10? 15? Really? I'm just being honest. You can see it as rudeness, but I'm really not trying to be. What are you or your sister going to look forward to at even 18? 21? Life is marked by many special events - birthdays, graduations, etc - and if you already have everything you want, well, everything else is just anticlimactic. Run of the mill. In a word, boring.
Be a teenager! Encourage your sister to be a little kid! Save your cash to blow on going out in college and dressing up on weekends! When you're as old as me, you're going to look back and be happy you did. There's an expression on here that someone used: just because you can doesn't mean you should. My opinion might be unpopular, but I stand by it firmly. Be a kid. Don't rush. Life goes by too fast - trust me - and I'll never regret that I enjoyed being a kid first.

Something to ponder: If she gets Chanel WOC at age 10, what will she want/expect when she's 15, 18, 21, etc.? Will she understand the value of hard work and money and the world condition as a whole? Those are formative years, years when one finds out about the world outside of the home, and the condition of the inhabitants of this globe. Will you want her looking outside of the sphere of her own living? Maybe she might learn more if she's not surrounded by luxury designer goods in her closet.

well said!

I agree with everyone here who says 10 is too young. I did buy my daughter her first Chanel when she was 14 and that was probably too young. I bought it for her as more of a wonderful bonding experience as we were on a trip to Paris with my sister, and we all went to the boutique for a mother/daughter/aunt shopping excursion.

She used it constantly for the next two years - sometimes she was careful with it, and sometimes she just tossed it on the floor, as teenagers do with everything. Then one day she replaced it with a purse that her friend had handmade for her as a Christmas present. It remains safely in her closet today as she is away at college. One day I'm sure it will emerge again and will be much more appreciated.

Looking back, I think that I wanted her to have it more than she wanted it for herself. That's what strikes me about your post . . . You said, "I would like her to have . . ."

For now, I suggest you wait, and give it to her for a special occasion where it will be associated with a wonderful memory or occasion such as her bridal shower. It will then always bring back beautiful memories for her every time she uses it, and a wonderful story for her to tell as she passes it her her daughter someday.

:smile:

My mom bought me a Boy WOC as my first Chanel last year. I was 18. Seriously I still think I am too young for it! Even though 18 means you are adult in my country plus we were on a trip in Europe, and we went to Rue Combon! ( first chanel in THE store!) My mom wanted to buy it as a memorable piece for our trip plus birthday! But really, even I carry it a lot, I still think under late 20s is young for Chanel.