Did you buy lambskin… and then regret it?

myztic

O.G.
Dec 5, 2010
I love the look of the chanel lambskin medium flap… it looks like a cloud of butter! I really want the lambskin however I am not one to baby my bags. I do not have long nails but i do have kids so theres my hesitation.

Did you buy a lambskin bag and then regret it later on? Why? was it because it got pretty scratched up? I was hoping to pass on this bag to my daughter when she gets older… Does that mean I would need caviar?

I just know that it is definitely going to be black! :smile: Caviar or lambskin is still up in the air….

can you post me a pic of a lambskin flap that is over 5 years old so I can see if it looks 'bad enough' to warrant not going with lambskin?

Last edited:
Reactions: Namwan-
I dont regret buying lambskin. At first i was scare to use it but after use it for a few times i realized lambskin is much more durable than i thought. I'd still be careful when i take my bag out but i dont baby her. I regret buying caviar though, as lambskin aged it looks more beautiful and elegant than caviar leather. Im new to chanel so i dont have any lambskin over 5yrs old, but you should google vingtage chanel in lambskin and caviar to see the different.

I dont regret buying lambskin. At first i was scare to use it but after use it for a few times i realized lambskin is much more durable than i thought. I'd still be careful when i take my bag out but i dont baby her. I regret buying caviar though, as lambskin aged it looks more beautiful and elegant than caviar leather. Im new to chanel so i dont have any lambskin over 5yrs old, but you should google vingtage chanel in lambskin and caviar to see the different.

Same here, I have had lambskin for about a year and I was surprised how durable it is. I don't baby my bags and I have placed it on the floor while visiting a store etc. Of course I am careful that I don't scratch it with some sharp corners of jewellery etc, but that is the same as with other bags. Caviar, Mulberry Bayswater and nylon Longchamp bags also get scratches if you try hard enough.. ;)

I have one Chanel in Caviar, but it is light beige and it was the only choise of material to that (I guess, in GST) and Caviar should not get color transfer as easily = reason for me if choosing between caviar and lambskin.

The lambskin still looks soooo beautiful!
Did you baby the bag in the pics or did you wear it as you normally would wear a bag?
I'm guessing if I go with a black bag I can go either way with caviar or lambskin cuz with black being so dark it won't look so obvious if there are scratches

I bought it last month (pre-owned) so I haven't used it for too long. But the seller said that the bag was "lovingly cared for", so I'm assuming that as long as you're not tossing your bag around then it should hold up fine. My first Chanel was a WOC. I chose caviar for the WOC because I knew that it would be hardier for travel. But there's just something so classic about a black m/l GHW in lambskin! 😍 In any case, I do think that black will hide most scratches. Good luck with your choice!

The lambskin still looks soooo beautiful!
Did you baby the bag in the pics or did you wear it as you normally would wear a bag?
I'm guessing if I go with a black bag I can go either way with caviar or lambskin cuz with black being so dark it won't look so obvious if there are scratches

Yes caviar is more 'long-wearing' but lambskin is not as fragile as people think. Plus, it feels so sumptuous and plush and lux.....and these things embody Chanel. I love my lambskin items and would not trade them for caviar :heart:

I have 5 Chanel flaps and two are lambskin. I do love the feel of lambskin more but I don't use them as much for fear of scratches. I live in Manhattan, NY though with huge crowds so sometimes I shield my bag from getting scraped or squashed by others. Similarly I would be a bit cautious to use them around small children.

However if you are not intending to use as an every day bag, I think black lambskin is the ultimate Chanel classic. It is more durable than I think some give it credit for but I don't think if would wear well as an everyday bag.

Here's a great condition vintage lambskin flap I bought in late summer. It's 0 series so probably from 1986 or so.

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1388762972.480156.jpg

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1388763025.461771.jpg

No, just the opposite, my first WoC is lamb. I reluctantly bought it because it was lamb but after carrying it all over Italy in and off buses, trains, tours, in and out of surprise showers, etc. . . it still looks brand new!
Lamb is not as delicate and scary as people make it out to be. I don't baby mine, nor do I mistreat it, but it's still pristine.

I just pulled out my jumbo just to show you.. (pictures coming soon).

But the short answer.. yes and no. I think the lambskin feels absolutely beautiful and looks gorgeous far longer than Caviar but I will confess that I think I would take this bag out more if it was caviar. Fortunately I wasn't looking for an everyday bag so it's not a big deal.

I have both lambskin and caviar (none vintage-era, all bought within the last few years), and I love the look of both (I think both are luxurious looking, just different). I've gotten some scratches and creases on my 2 lambskins from using them, I'm not very gentle it turns out even though I thought I was :P But they're so gorgeous and special, I DON'T regret it, still. Lambskin feels so soft to the touch, it's such a treat to carry this bag! A lot of the scratches I found I could smooth out myself.