Did you buy lambskin… and then regret it?

Lambskin FTW!!!! It's not as fragile as we thought! I don't regret getting my first classic flap in lambskin and I love touching it every time! So now my wallet & card holders are in pink lambskin too! :love:

and I'm thinking to get a Jumbo flap next, I'm sure it's going to be in Lambskin as well! Unless the color I'm getting is beige or white, I would get those in caviar haha

Does caviar have a better resale value or lambskin?
Also for me, I don't like when the bag de puffs... Is there any way to keep the bug from losing it's puff after many years or will caviar bags be the only ones to stay nice and puffy on the quilts?

Lovely, especially love the colors! May I ask if the red flap's quilts flattened over time or of there flat to begin with? I thought I read somewhere that some vintage flaps had flat quilts to begin with? Wondering for my own reference in trying to keep my quilts puffy!

TIA!!

The red one was flat to begin with, I guess it was the style back then? The blue one still has some puffiness despite its age! :smile:

for me personally I love the look/feel of lambskin, but recently with my vintage lambskin yellow mini…the worse occurred: COLOR TRANSFER…yikes..so sad :no-good:

since i haven't had it long and was gifted to me…..i'm hoping it can be cleaned...i've been talking with Barbara @ Lovin My Bags (she is super-nice) for advice.

i don't baby my bags either, i've used my yellow mini everywhere. i have no regret, its just so very sad.

i'd appreciate any other advice how to clean a yellow lambskin, with color transfer!! Thx!!

I just was in Chanel yesterday trying on a classic m/l flap in lambskin, love love love!

I do carry my jumbo caviar quite a bit without worrying about scratches, which is the first thing I think about with lambskin. However, a classic lambskin flap is now on my Wishlist, but I would probably only carry it for special occasions. I do own one seasonal lambskin flap, but don't carry it often. I remember going wine tasting with the girls just last weekend & my caviar bag fell loudly from the table (with the whole wine bar looking). I imagine that the fall would have been quieter if it were lambskin, but then again that fall to the floor would have ruined my night as well. It's so delicate, but gorgeous :smile:

Does caviar have a better resale value or lambskin?
Also for me, I don't like when the bag de puffs... Is there any way to keep the bug from losing it's puff after many years or will caviar bags be the only ones to stay nice and puffy on the quilts?
If you take a look at the lambskin bags I posted in this and the thread I posted a link to, none have deflated quilts.

It took me a while and several exchanges for me to finally settle on caviar vs lambskin. 3 years later... I wished I went with my first love - lambskin. But I cant get myself to buy one since I have the caviar. 4900 is a lot to repeat a color. so now I am stuck. I still love my caviar but I cant get lambskin off my head.

I have my maxi flap and my regular flap in blackcaviar, and my two wallets on a chain are lambskin - one silver, one read. All well used in regular rotation and all look great. It's a personal preference thing to me, but they are all beautiful

As to lambskin vs caviar...

It is simply a matter of personal preference. Will lambskin show little scratches, scuffs, etc.? Yes. It's lambskin after all. So it won't look "perfect" after use. But... many of us who prefer lambskin... accept the "character" of lambskin. Over time... soft surface wear gently blends into the patina of the lambskin to become less obvious... although such wear is clearly visible upon close inspection.

On the other hand... caviar tends to look "perfect" and resist surface wear with reasonable use. Nevertheless, caviar is suceptible to wear and tear, as caviar is leather, after all, and therefore, not impervious to wear.

When it's not an issue of deliberate construction, maintaining puffy quilts is often an issue of storage and use. Careless extended storage and use can easily flatten the quilts on a bag - regardless of whether the leather is lambskin or caviar.

As to resale value...

Due to the fact that caviar tends to look newer longer when gently used... while lambskin begins showing surface wear as soon as it is used (even gently so)... there's a tendency by resellers to overstate the condition of caviar bags with "pristine" appearance... thereby justifying a higher secondhand price. On the other hand... people tend to be "harder" on their caviar bags... so caviar bags tend to be sold when they've started to show obvious wear.

On the other hand... many who choose to sell their lambskin bags... do so because they rarely or never wear them. Since these bags tend to be very carefully maintained... they tend to fetch "decent" secondhand prices (relative to "like new" caviar bags). Alternatively... consumers may avoid such bags... because they, themselves, fear the fragility of lambskin.

hth. Good luck! :smile:

I have a maxi lambskin and I use it on weekend..it still looks perfect in condition..I just love to touch her when I use her......lol....so buttery soft.....:love: I love the leather more than my calf medium boy...;)

As to lambskin vs caviar...

It is simply a matter of personal preference. Will lambskin show little scratches, scuffs, etc.? Yes. It's lambskin after all. So it won't look "perfect" after use. But... many of us who prefer lambskin... accept the "character" of lambskin. Over time... soft surface wear gently blends into the patina of the lambskin to become less obvious... although such wear is clearly visible upon close inspection.

On the other hand... caviar tends to look "perfect" and resist surface wear with reasonable use. Nevertheless, caviar is suceptible to wear and tear, as caviar is leather, after all, and therefore, not impervious to wear.

When it's not an issue of deliberate construction, maintaining puffy quilts is often an issue of storage and use. Careless extended storage and use can easily flatten the quilts on a bag - regardless of whether the leather is lambskin or caviar.

As to resale value...

Due to the fact that caviar tends to look newer longer when gently used... while lambskin begins showing surface wear as soon as it is used (even gently so)... there's a tendency by resellers to overstate the condition of caviar bags with "pristine" appearance... thereby justifying a higher secondhand price. On the other hand... people tend to be "harder" on their caviar bags... so caviar bags tend to be sold when they've started to show obvious wear.

On the other hand... many who choose to sell their lambskin bags... do so because they rarely or never wear them. Since these bags tend to be very carefully maintained... they tend to fetch "decent" secondhand prices (relative to "like new" caviar bags). Alternatively... consumers may avoid such bags... because they, themselves, fear the fragility of lambskin.

hth. Good luck! :smile:
Great response newmommy_va

I have 5 Chanel flaps and two are lambskin. I do love the feel of lambskin more but I don't use them as much for fear of scratches. I live in Manhattan, NY though with huge crowds so sometimes I shield my bag from getting scraped or squashed by others. Similarly I would be a bit cautious to use them around small children.

However if you are not intending to use as an every day bag, I think black lambskin is the ultimate Chanel classic. It is more durable than I think some give it credit for but I don't think if would wear well as an everyday bag.

Here's a great condition vintage lambskin flap I bought in late summer. It's 0 series so probably from 1986 or so.

View attachment 2449108

View attachment 2449109

Gorgeous burgundy lamb flap!!:love: