Workplace Officially a Future RN!

Congrats! You can do it, there are days you might feel like you can't but trust me it's all worth it.

I currently work in palliative, where I have been for 3 years, and I'm orientating for a new ER opening here in December.

You have practical hands on experience that will really help in your classes.
Those real life situations and experiences you'll be able to relate back to and it'll be of significant help.
I don't know what your employment situation is in your area or how much competition you have. For here, I always recommend taking extra certifications whenever possible after graduation that apply to the dept. of your preference.
It can give you an edge over people with more clinical experience and shows you are focused and dedicated.

Best of luck to you!

Congrats! You can do it, there are days you might feel like you can't but trust me it's all worth it.

I currently work in palliative, where I have been for 3 years, and I'm orientating for a new ER opening here in December.

You have practical hands on experience that will really help in your classes.
Those real life situations and experiences you'll be able to relate back to and it'll be of significant help.
I don't know what your employment situation is in your area or how much competition you have. For here, I always recommend taking extra certifications whenever possible after graduation that apply to the dept. of your preference.
It can give you an edge over people with more clinical experience and shows you are focused and dedicated.

Best of luck to you!

I'm hoping that once I'm done with my ADN and pass my boards, I will get hired on the floor I've been working on for the last 4 years (pediatric neurology/neurosurgery). I think after I've been practicing for 2 years, I can take the Certified Pediatric Nurse exam, which my job will pay for. They will also pay for me to go back and get my BSN, so I'm thinking I'll wait two years and then start my BSN classes. One of the universities in my area has an online BSN program that will accept my credits from the tech school I'm currently attending. I believe it's only 11-12 classes for me to complete my BSN, which is awesome.

I'm hoping that once I'm done with my ADN and pass my boards, I will get hired on the floor I've been working on for the last 4 years (pediatric neurology/neurosurgery). I think after I've been practicing for 2 years, I can take the Certified Pediatric Nurse exam, which my job will pay for. They will also pay for me to go back and get my BSN, so I'm thinking I'll wait two years and then start my BSN classes. One of the universities in my area has an online BSN program that will accept my credits from the tech school I'm currently attending. I believe it's only 11-12 classes for me to complete my BSN, which is awesome.

Fantastic, you have it all figured out. It takes a special person to work in Peds, wishing you all the best in all of your endeavors.

For all of you that are RNs, did you ever join a professional organization for nursing students? My school has a student nurse association and I can get a discount on membership to the National Student Nurse Association. Just wondering if anyone had anoy thoughts about this.

Congratulations!!! I graduated in May '10 and worked in med-surg for a year and a half. I'm now in L&D.

My advice is to never fall behind on your reading assignments. I found the study guides by Mosbys to be very helpful. Always ask questions if you don't understand something. No question is ever dumb. Also, check out allnurses.com if you haven't already. Enjoy this journey. Time flies!

Congrats to you! I have been nursing for almost 7yrs now and am in CVICU/CCU. Like others have mentioned, be on top of all of your readings. Nursing is not an easy program, especially to have it done in 2yrs. Stay positive and GL. If you can I do recommend you getting your BSN if you are not already.

Hello all! I just wanted to share that I just got accepted into nursing school and will be graduating in December 2014! I've spent the last three years working towards this and I'm over the moon ecstatic!

Downside: less to to browse tPF. :P

If anyone has any advice for how to survive nursing school, I'd love to hear it!

Congratulations, certainly need more of us :smile:

For all of you that are RNs, did you ever join a professional organization for nursing students? My school has a student nurse association and I can get a discount on membership to the National Student Nurse Association. Just wondering if anyone had anoy thoughts about this.

I'm with the RCN and was them when a student too, lots of valuable nursing research available from them to help with essays etc.

Just wanted to update that I completed my first semester of nursing school! I kicked butt in all my classes and passed my HESI with flying colors!

Thanks to all of you wonderful TPFers for your encouraging words; more than once I came back to this thread when I was having trouble and didn't think I could do it to read your posts.