Estee Lauder Double Wear - new formula??

Wow, I'm really glad to know this! I loved Double Wear in Shell; it was a great match for my skin tone (most EL is too yellow for me) and it always looked great all day and toned down my ruddy cheeks too.

Right now I'm really loving UD Naked, but it's a lot sheerer.

XXXOO PG

IME, the only other department store foundation that has come close to the original Double Wear, is Kat Von D's Lock-It Tattoo Foundation. The issues with it are limited colors and availability being scarce. But it's a nice coverage, super pigmented (moreso than Double Wear), build-able, matte and long wearing product. It does have a vanilla-ish scent that can affect some.

Overall though for the price difference, I recommend Cover Girl Outlast over it for color variety.

The new version of EL Double Wear color went from perfect porcelain (original formula) on me to a peachy apricot (same color name and number but NOT same shade) that turned grey during the day. I thought it was a faulty bottle, exchanged for a second one with the same outcome. I so wish cosmetic companies would just leave a great selling product alone. Always tweaking and discontinuing shades. Drives me crazy.

The shade range of CoverGirl was a nice touch. I'm not usually one for drugstore brands, but on the recommendation of a youtube makeup guru, I was very surprised with CoverGirl Outlast. The finish was very luxurious for a drugstore product. The pricing just sweetens the deal.

I had the same problem! The new colors just do not work for me. The neutral colors look gray on me, and the cool shades have too much orange to them now (and I'm 100% certain that my skintone is cool). I too really wish they would've left our DW alone! I keep hoping they'll change back to the old formula, given the number of negative reviews it's been getting on the EL site lately. It used to be rated at almost 5 stars, and the last time I checked, it was down to 2.5 lol.

I'm not big on drugstore foundations myself, because normally they don't stand a chance with my oily skin. The new CG was a nice surprise for me too. I'm glad it came along when it did!

Last edited:
Did the Cover Girl Outlast foundation come out recently in the US? I looked for it today but couldn't find it. I'm guessing it hasn't been released in Australia yet. Damn. Either that or I'm blind.

Did the Cover Girl Outlast foundation come out recently in the US? I looked for it today but couldn't find it. I'm guessing it hasn't been released in Australia yet. Damn. Either that or I'm blind.

It's been out for several months in the US. Locally, I have it at Walmart, Target and all drugstores such as Walgreens. I've seen pricing range from $10.99 to $12.99 USD. It comes in a pump (surprising for a drugstore product), and glass bottle with cap.

It's been out for several months in the US. Locally, I have it at Walmart, Target and all drugstores such as Walgreens. I've seen pricing range from $10.99 to $12.99 USD. It comes in a pump (surprising for a drugstore product), and glass bottle with cap.

Ahh. Australia tends to be slow with cosmetic product releases unfortunately and it seems it's not out here yet! I will keep an eye out for it though.

LOL, yeah that usually happens to me too! They discontinue practically everything I love, it seems. I figure it won't be too much longer before they get rid of my favorite mascara too, the Sumptuous Extreme. I hope I'm wrong, but you never know with EL.

Thank you so much for the link! I will definitely be using that in the future to try to hunt down some products.

Glad to help! :smile:

When they brought out their new colours I managed to get matched perfectly which was a first for me in Doublewear (Beige) and I actually liked the feel of it, as beforehand I always found it too drying.

I'm presuming this is the 'new formulation'? I haven't got oily or problematic skin though. I have normal to dry skin. I'm just wondering if they're just trying to widen their market/appeal with it?

Well...you can either begin stocking up now....or chasing it at EL outlets later. ;) They reformulate their foundations and powders (it seems) about every 3-4 years. Even if they don't, the colors get dropped and you're left buying 2 shades (That's me!!) or finding another alternative just to get 'that perfect color.'

I started using Chanel's powder foundation as an alternative (because it hadn't been changed or reformulated for at least 10 years)....costly, yes but always reliable especially if you are into the matte look. I believe they just 'recolored' the line last year - BUT my shade is still there.

But nevertheless, I would rather pay $8 for a drugstore brand that worked than knowing I'd have to change brands every few years...

So I went to the EL counter today, and the SA there told me that they changed the colours and a lot of people assumed the formula was changed but it's actually the same!?

Anyway, I got matched to a colour that seems pretty accurate and I took a sample home so I'll see how it goes.

So I went to the EL counter today, and the SA there told me that they changed the colours and a lot of people assumed the formula was changed but it's actually the same!?

Anyway, I got matched to a colour that seems pretty accurate and I took a sample home so I'll see how it goes.

The new bottles don't have SPF and the old ones did - so yes it's a new product. SAs crack me up.

The new bottles don't have SPF and the old ones did - so yes it's a new product. SAs crack me up.

Actually the new formulation still has SPF but I read somewhere they are not to put SPF on the bottle unless it's over a certain amount. Since the old formula had SPF 10, I think that was still too low for them to be able to advertise.
If you look on the ingredients list of the new formula, it still states the content of titanium dioxide, a sunscreen agent.

So..after trying it I didn't find it to be super amazing or anything. Had a bit of shine come through and some areas of my skin ended up looking all flakey and gross because I guess I have dry patches. Oxidized a bit too. Decent staying power but I prefer the maybelline mousse foundation I currently use so I don't think I will buy it.

I am blonde, blue eyes and prone to acne/rosacea and like the coverage the double wear gives. I have brought the 2W1 Dawn but it seems to be an orange shade on my skin. My previous foundation was YSL Touché Éclat in B40 that was a great colour but not the coverage on the oily t zone.
Would you ladies say I have the wrong shade?

I was wearing this faithfully and the new formula made me break out all over. I have since found that there is a dupe for the original formula which is: Covergirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3 in 1 Foundation. It claims to have a primer in it, but I still use a primer underneath. It works just as well as the original EL Double Wear and the colors are lovely. Worth checking out, for a matte coverage, long wearing foundation. It stays put on me for about 10 hours without blotting. Finish is air brushed matte.
I'm open to DS foundation but finding the right shade is the challenge. I was thinking of trying the EL so I could get help with that.