Estee Lauder Double Wear - new formula??

rainbowrose

Oct 27, 2012
I have oily skin and can never find a foundation that stays put. I had read a lot of rave reviews on this foundation and was almost ready to purchase it when I stumbled across some more recent ones and it seems the colours are now orangey and the formula changed to last a shorter time and since then most people are no longer as happy!

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this? I don't want to pay $50 for a foundation unless I know it'll be amazing.

I bought a bottle of the new formulation, and promptly returned it after one use. I've used this foundation for years to help control my oily skin, and I used to be really happy with it. But now that they've changed the formula, I absolutely hate it. It took me either 3 or 4 tries with different ladies at the EL counter before I could find a color that was anywhere near close to matching (I used to wear Dusk 2C1 in the old formulation). I still wasn't happy with the new shade they matched me with, but I tried it anyway just to see how it would hold up on me throughout a regular day. It didn't last near as long as the old formula did, and I got a lot of shine breakthrough. I was lucky enough to find a couple bottles of the old formula at my EL counter, so I bought them both when I was there to return the bottle of the new formulation. I have no idea what I'm going to do when I run out of these two bottles; I haven't found any other foundation that can control my oil as well as the old EL Double Wear does.

Aww. That seems to be the general consensus! How disappointing that they changed the formula. I was almost sold on it too as everyone seemed to think it was amazing for oily skin. Guess I'll continue searching...

I'm testing it out atm (they're giving free 10 day samples out in London) and I have to say that I'm loving it. I can't compare it to the previous formula, as this is the first time I've tried Double Wear but it's working really well for my oily/ combination skin.

Probably doesn't control oil quite as well as the Hourglass one (which I also love) but its staying power is just phenomenal and my skin really does look flawless all day. Definitely considering purchasing a full bottle.

Aww. That seems to be the general consensus! How disappointing that they changed the formula. I was almost sold on it too as everyone seemed to think it was amazing for oily skin. Guess I'll continue searching...

Go to the EL counter and get a sample. They'll give you one to try out anytime you go in there and ask. Most of the SA's are super nice, and understand that we'd much rather "try before we buy" when it comes to pricier makeup. I've done that numerous times with Clarins, EL, Lancome, and Clinique. I know they accept returns if the makeup doesn't work for you or whatever, but I'd rather take a sample home to try than have to return a whole bottle knowing it will be wasted because it didn't work for me and they can't resell it.

If you do try it, I hope it works better for you than it did for me!

I bought a bottle of the new formulation, and promptly returned it after one use. I've used this foundation for years to help control my oily skin, and I used to be really happy with it. But now that they've changed the formula, I absolutely hate it. It took me either 3 or 4 tries with different ladies at the EL counter before I could find a color that was anywhere near close to matching (I used to wear Dusk 2C1 in the old formulation). I still wasn't happy with the new shade they matched me with, but I tried it anyway just to see how it would hold up on me throughout a regular day. It didn't last near as long as the old formula did, and I got a lot of shine breakthrough. I was lucky enough to find a couple bottles of the old formula at my EL counter, so I bought them both when I was there to return the bottle of the new formulation. I have no idea what I'm going to do when I run out of these two bottles; I haven't found any other foundation that can control my oil as well as the old EL Double Wear does.

This has always been my problem with EL...you'll find something that you like and then a few years later it's 'reformulated' or discontinued and you're left trying to buy up every last compact available to man...

EL has a site that you can register with and they can help locate discontinued items. The great thing about this site is that EL owns other cosmetic companies so you can search more than just EL - just look at the list of companies affiliated with EL and initiate a search for the foundation you're looking for. Who knows, maybe with enough inquiries, you might be able to bring something that has been disconinued back.

Here is the link: http://www.elcompanies.com/Pages/Gone-But-Not-Forgotten.aspx

Reactions: nicole0612
I am not much of a fan for liquid foundation but I liked the Double Wear Powder. I have oily skin (T-zone; I am also part Filipino and Spanish) and found the powder to work best. But then 4 years ago, they 'reformulated' the powder and discontinued my shade. I had to buy 2 shades of powder to get my shade...only benefit to that was the flexibility to adjust color when the summer months came along. I was at the EL counter a month ago and saw that they revamped the powder again - and this time, my discontinued shade was brought back. For how long...who knows.

Thanks everyone! I may try to get a sample of it to try anyway because I guess you never know.

That Hourglass foundation sounds really good. I don't think it's available in any stores around here - never heard of it before and online it seems to be about $80. Eeep. May look into it though.

This has always been my problem with EL...you'll find something that you like and then a few years later it's 'reformulated' or discontinued and you're left trying to buy up every last compact available to man...

EL has a site that you can register with and they can help locate discontinued items. The great thing about this site is that EL owns other cosmetic companies so you can search more than just EL - just look at the list of companies affiliated with EL and initiate a search for the foundation you're looking for. Who knows, maybe with enough inquiries, you might be able to bring something that has been disconinued back.

Here is the link: http://www.elcompanies.com/Pages/Gone-But-Not-Forgotten.aspx

LOL, yeah that usually happens to me too! They discontinue practically everything I love, it seems. I figure it won't be too much longer before they get rid of my favorite mascara too, the Sumptuous Extreme. I hope I'm wrong, but you never know with EL.

Thank you so much for the link! I will definitely be using that in the future to try to hunt down some products.

I was wearing this faithfully and the new formula made me break out all over. I have since found that there is a dupe for the original formula which is: Covergirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3 in 1 Foundation. It claims to have a primer in it, but I still use a primer underneath. It works just as well as the original EL Double Wear and the colors are lovely. Worth checking out, for a matte coverage, long wearing foundation. It stays put on me for about 10 hours without blotting. Finish is air brushed matte.

^I got a bottle of the CG Outlast for free a few weeks ago with a coupon I'd been given, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. I've tried it with and without primer under it. It worked pretty well without my primer, but it works even better when I use my normal primer with it. They really do have a decent shade range to choose from too. Outlast doesn't stay on me as long as the original EL DW foundation did, but it's a LOT better than the horrible new version of EL DW.

When they brought out their new colours I managed to get matched perfectly which was a first for me in Doublewear (Beige) and I actually liked the feel of it, as beforehand I always found it too drying.

I'm presuming this is the 'new formulation'? I haven't got oily or problematic skin though. I have normal to dry skin. I'm just wondering if they're just trying to widen their market/appeal with it?

I was wearing this faithfully and the new formula made me break out all over. I have since found that there is a dupe for the original formula which is: Covergirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3 in 1 Foundation. It claims to have a primer in it, but I still use a primer underneath. It works just as well as the original EL Double Wear and the colors are lovely. Worth checking out, for a matte coverage, long wearing foundation. It stays put on me for about 10 hours without blotting. Finish is air brushed matte.

I will definitely check the CG foundation out. Thanks! :smile:

^I got a bottle of the CG Outlast for free a few weeks ago with a coupon I'd been given, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. I've tried it with and without primer under it. It worked pretty well without my primer, but it works even better when I use my normal primer with it. They really do have a decent shade range to choose from too. Outlast doesn't stay on me as long as the original EL DW foundation did, but it's a LOT better than the horrible new version of EL DW.

The new version of EL Double Wear color went from perfect porcelain (original formula) on me to a peachy apricot (same color name and number but NOT same shade) that turned grey during the day. I thought it was a faulty bottle, exchanged for a second one with the same outcome. I so wish cosmetic companies would just leave a great selling product alone. Always tweaking and discontinuing shades. Drives me crazy.

The shade range of CoverGirl was a nice touch. I'm not usually one for drugstore brands, but on the recommendation of a youtube makeup guru, I was very surprised with CoverGirl Outlast. The finish was very luxurious for a drugstore product. The pricing just sweetens the deal.