News: Coach To Launch Ready-To-Wear?

Exciting news! Not the higher prices :tdown:, but new stuff would be cool!

The saddest thing about the outlets to me is that a lot of them end up on the bay. Some people don't live close to a Coach store or outlet and don't really know the difference. They see an authentic Coach bag on the bay 'new with tags' and think they are getting a great deal on a FP bag. In reality they are overpaying for a MFF bag. I'm originally from a small town in NC where there is no Coach store or factory store closer than a 1.5 hour drive. Most of the people from my hometown don't explore much and only shop locally or online. I know many people that have the MFF bags, that they bought overpriced on the bay and it makes me so mad every time I see it. I love the outlets and the possibility of finding a FP delete (usually the reason why I'm there). But I do hate what consumers are doing with the products.

But why? The information is out there, and some people may choose to learn it and some may not. We have a concept in law called caveat emptor, buyer beware. Some people don't care to be informed because the time necessary vs. the cost of being wrong (i.e., making a purchase at anything less than bottom dollar prices) does not justify doing the research. In the end, regardless of price, if they're happy - WHO CARES???

But why? The information is out there, and some people may choose to learn it and some may not. We have a concept in law called caveat emptor, buyer beware. Some people don't care to be informed because the time necessary vs. the cost of being wrong (i.e., making a purchase at anything less than bottom dollar prices) does not justify doing the research. In the end, regardless of price, if they're happy - WHO CARES???

Sanatty - you rock, sister. (Sister?)

Another tale of corporate greed <sigh>. Many times when corporations extend themselves too thin, their flagship product, in Coach's case handbags, suffer in the process. They are taking quite a risk I just hope it is not their eventual fall from grace. Raising their prices will not make them a luxury brand. I get that MFF is their money maker but they will never be a true luxury brand by using this business model. Even if they had true outlets that only sold boutique deletes that would still make them contenders. But because of MFF Coach is as common in the streets as Kathy Van Zealand.

I buy some MFF bags which I like very much. But you cannot be both, a luxury brand and mass market. I have always said that they should have Coach bags which are boutique bags only and the MFF should be called something else like "Envy by Coach". So the lines are differentiated. That is all I could think of on the spur of the moment but I think you all get what I mean. And in this case the MFF should not be exact replicas of the FP bags.

Well, this part of the article made me a little sad:

So, Coach wants to reposition itself by, among other things, charging more for handbags. Will they also increase the quality and craftsmanship of their bags as well? Do they think that more people will covet their bags if the bags cost more? That more people will buy said bags?

I think if they charges more for bags in the boutiques, that would drive sales in the outlets... which the outlets are more profitable than the boutiques anyway...

MFF is what's keeping them from being taken seriously as a luxury brand. They can't expand their market and become luxury until they eliminate MMF or scale it back significantly.

MFF is their bread and butter. They will never scale it back because it's the cash cow.

Coach To Launch Ready-To-Wear?

Consider this a warning Michael Kors, Tory Burch: Coach is coming for you.

Or they’re trying to anyway.

The handbag and accessories titan is getting a makeover–and making a play for the lifestyle sector of the market, currently dominated by Burch and Kors, is part of their new strategy, WWD is reporting.

Up until recently, Coach, founded in 1941, has remained focused on developing their affordable luxury handbag business, with purses hovering at the $300 mark, and has repeatedly denied that they would consider a foray into womenswear ready-to-wear. But that could all be changing now.

“The reality is that the marketplace has shifted,” chairman and chief executive officer Lew Frankfort told WWD. “We’re responding transformationally to take advantage of the opportunity. It’s not as if we’re static.”

More of the article here: http://fashionista.com/2013/01/could-coach-be-the-next-michael-kors/

--------------------------
This is interesting and I'm curious on what image a Coach woman (or man, if they were to make collections for both) they will aim to portray. Hmmm... But hopefully, no hullahoop-Coach bag in the first collection. JK.

Coach does make most of its money from MFF. I agree with melissatrv that it might behoove the Coach brand to differentiate between its two collections. This has worked for MICHAEL/Michael Kors, Marc by Marc Jacobs/Marc Jacobs, etc. The average consumer may not know the difference between the two, but at least it would serve to not alienate Coach's FP fan-base by maintaining the prestige of the brand.

I think it has been said on here before, but the typical MFF buyer doesn't know the difference and believes that they are getting a "$498" handbag for $129 (or whatever) at the outlet store. Ebay sellers provide a service...they do all the footwork, listing, packing and shipping, lol. (And no, I don't sell on Ebay. :P) I guess my point is, if a buyer is happy with their purchase then that's what matters.

I understand the leg work involved in selling the bags online and I must say I appreciate it because I am no where near an outlet. But what makes me nauseous is when I KNOW a bag has been deleted, say a $398 bag that was reduced to less 40% (now$238.80) and then was further reduced by an additional 30% (now $167.17 plus tax) and is STILL being sold at $398 plus shipping on eBay...especially when the seller has pics of creed with a bullseye on it. Then u know this bag was deleted and at an outlet and the person prob got a decent deal on it yet they're still selling it for retail. I get it, some people use this for income and whatnot, but it's the high volume sellers that do this that KNOW what they are doing that really get to me. I have only ever sold 2 of my used excellent condition bags on eBay, one of them sold and then a week later I realized the person hadn't left me feedback so I went to look at their items for sale just to browse. There was the purse I had just sold to the woman being advertised as "new without tags" when I clearly had stated in my auction I used it for a short period of time but it was in pristine condition and she was selling it for almost double. It made me so angry!
Like I said, I appreciate the leg work for a good deal and especially for items that are no longer available and the opportunity to have something I may have missed out on. But it's the ones who try to really pull the wool over people's eyes that make it unfair

I understand the leg work involved in selling the bags online and I must say I appreciate it because I am no where near an outlet. But what makes me nauseous is when I KNOW a bag has been deleted, say a $398 bag that was reduced to less 40% (now$238.80) and then was further reduced by an additional 30% (now $167.17 plus tax) and is STILL being sold at $398 plus shipping on eBay...especially when the seller has pics of creed with a bullseye on it. Then u know this bag was deleted and at an outlet and the person prob got a decent deal on it yet they're still selling it for retail. I get it, some people use this for income and whatnot, but it's the high volume sellers that do this that KNOW what they are doing that really get to me. I have only ever sold 2 of my used excellent condition bags on eBay, one of them sold and then a week later I realized the person hadn't left me feedback so I went to look at their items for sale just to browse. There was the purse I had just sold to the woman being advertised as "new without tags" when I clearly had stated in my auction I used it for a short period of time but it was in pristine condition and she was selling it for almost double. It made me so angry!
Like I said, I appreciate the leg work for a good deal and especially for items that are no longer available and the opportunity to have something I may have missed out on. But it's the ones who try to really pull the wool over people's eyes that make it unfair

But in reply to myself I must say I do agree with the idea of "if they're happy with what they have let them be happy" I wouldn't want people to rain on my parade. I get a good deal and stay knowledgeable because I research and dig for deals lol. Some just don't want to do that. To each their own.

I am a firm believer in quality, not quantity, and in my own personal opinion, they can't have both. I know it's the trend to be a true lifestyle brand but at what cost? Well made bags but semi alright jewelry, shoes and sun wear. Why not focus attention on what you're good at, which for them is leather goods. They make awesome bags and wallets, why throw in clothes. The shoes aren't really that special, which I know they are working on, and the Jewelry isn't great either. I'd just hate to see the quality keep declining the way I think it has the last while. Just my two cents. :smile: I still love the mens line and will continue to shop as long as the quality stays the same.

I am a firm believer in quality, not quantity, and in my own personal opinion, they can't have both. I know it's the trend to be a true lifestyle brand but at what cost? Well made bags but semi alright jewelry, shoes and sun wear. Why not focus attention on what you're good at, which for them is leather goods. They make awesome bags and wallets, why throw in clothes. The shoes aren't really that special, which I know they are working on, and the Jewelry isn't great either. I'd just hate to see the quality keep declining the way I think it has the last while. Just my two cents. :smile: I still love the mens line and will continue to shop as long as the quality stays the same.

I can see where you're coming from, MrCoachie29. I guess in the end, it's a business, and their job is to grow the business, expand the market, increase profits, etc. I, too, will be sad if quantity increases and quality decreases. Will have to wait and see.

I can see where you're coming from, MrCoachie29. I guess in the end, it's a business, and their job is to grow the business, expand the market, increase profits, etc. I, too, will be sad if quantity increases and quality decreases. Will have to wait and see.

I agree. I am intrigued to see what their RTW will look like if they go through with it!

I'm not too sure on how well the Mulberry clothes sell, but I am under the impression that they want to do something similar. They are showcasing the bag along with a certain image/vibe and maybe Coach is trying to establish the same thing with clothes that go well with a particular reinterpretation of their money-spinner items (e.g. endless reworking on the material/hardware popular styles of bags)

I buy some MFF bags which I like very much. But you cannot be both, a luxury brand and mass market. I have always said that they should have Coach bags which are boutique bags only and the MFF should be called something else like "Envy by Coach". So the lines are differentiated. That is all I could think of on the spur of the moment but I think you all get what I mean. And in this case the MFF should not be exact replicas of the FP bags.

(Raises hand.) I nominate Melissa for their next CEO.

I agree with everyone saying coach should differentiate between mff and fp branding. If Michael kors and Marc Jacobs can do it, so can coach. I can see it now, C by COACH, or something like that. Lol.
As far as quantity vs quality, I think we are already starting to see that in the lack of quality control at coach right now. I see a lot of posts about a bag coming from Jax that isn't up to par. Shipping issues cant be helped sometimes but that's not the bulk of the problems being had lately. And there's been issues with shoddy stitching and scrappy leather, early wear on lightly used bags. Coach has been cranking out the new bags lately and I think they're just not keeping up with their previous quality.
Again, sorry for the rant. Ive just been at my end with coach lately and after 5 years of collecting I'm saddened.