News: Coach To Launch Ready-To-Wear?

ophousewife said:
I agree with everyone saying coach should differentiate between mff and fp branding. If Michael kors and Marc Jacobs can do it, so can coach. I can see it now, C by COACH, or something like that. Lol.
As far as quantity vs quality, I think we are already starting to see that in the lack of quality control at coach right now. I see a lot of posts about a bag coming from Jax that isn't up to par. Shipping issues cant be helped sometimes but that's not the bulk of the problems being had lately. And there's been issues with shoddy stitching and scrappy leather, early wear on lightly used bags. Coach has been cranking out the new bags lately and I think they're just not keeping up with their previous quality.
Again, sorry for the rant. Ive just been at my end with coach lately and after 5 years of collecting I'm saddened.

C by coach! I like it :smile: it makes sense too bc their siggy stuff is known for the c's... u should pitch it to them!

MFF is what's keeping them from being taken seriously as a luxury brand. They can't expand their market and become luxury until they eliminate MMF or scale it back significantly.

I simply disagree, and the evidence supporting the contrary position (to yours) is quite overwhelming. For example, Ralph Lauren, Michael Kors, Marc Jacobs and Brooks Bros. (to name a very few) all have successful high-end and midmarket lines. Remember MFF is still a midmarket retailer at the average price point per item. I do agree that as they transition the FP stores into full-fledged lifestyle boutiques they might be well-served to do some serious work to further differentiate the MFF brand (I love the C by Coach idea mentioned by another tPF'er above, FWIW), although that even might be unnecessary.

I understand the leg work involved in selling the bags online and I must say I appreciate it because I am no where near an outlet. But what makes me nauseous is when I KNOW a bag has been deleted, say a $398 bag that was reduced to less 40% (now$238.80) and then was further reduced by an additional 30% (now $167.17 plus tax) and is STILL being sold at $398 plus shipping on eBay...especially when the seller has pics of creed with a bullseye on it. Then u know this bag was deleted and at an outlet and the person prob got a decent deal on it yet they're still selling it for retail. I get it, some people use this for income and whatnot, but it's the high volume sellers that do this that KNOW what they are doing that really get to me. I have only ever sold 2 of my used excellent condition bags on eBay, one of them sold and then a week later I realized the person hadn't left me feedback so I went to look at their items for sale just to browse. There was the purse I had just sold to the woman being advertised as "new without tags" when I clearly had stated in my auction I used it for a short period of time but it was in pristine condition and she was selling it for almost double. It made me so angry!
Like I said, I appreciate the leg work for a good deal and especially for items that are no longer available and the opportunity to have something I may have missed out on. But it's the ones who try to really pull the wool over people's eyes that make it unfair

Agreed. If a buyer is happy...be happy. I just don't like it when some (and there are some) people are unaware of what they are buying or when they are getting the shaft as explained here. Not everyone knows what a F after the hyphen means or what a bullet stamp or X means. The bay is a great place to buy if you know what you're buying. Yes, it is up to each individual to make yourself informed but I do feel bad for people overpaying for MFF bags or a FP delete.

Interesting perspectives, everyone.

The question still remains: With Coach looking to expand into the lifestyle market, would you be willing to buy these other Coach items? They already make handbags, shoes, coats... Would you buy a Coach blouse? What about a dress? Bathing suits? Underwear? etc.

And if so, at what price point would you be willing to buy?

The question still remains: With Coach looking to expand into the lifestyle market, would you be willing to buy these other Coach items? They already make handbags, shoes, coats... Would you buy a Coach blouse? What about a dress? Bathing suits? Underwear? etc.

Until I see them, it's impossible to say whether I would buy or how much I'd pay. :biggrin:

I would, but only if the items are made of great quality and worth the price tag. Bathing suits would be adorable! I can see a Legacy and Poppy line in my head already...with colorblock. It's all depending on how much it costs. I think it's all overpriced but I treat myself to a thing or two every now and then.

This is, quite literally the $1 billion dollar question!!! As I've said before, I'm a former Coach purse girl, who is now into LV. HOWEVER, my husband and I are still very loyal to Coach for their FP leather products (especially travel/business stuff) which IMHO cannot be beat at the price point (and even at a 25% higher price point). Since I moved away from their handbags (and they expanded into outerwear and shoes), hubby and I started buying those products. We're pretty happy with the outerwear - great jackets in both leather and cotton/blends - and hubby also owns a pair of their boots with Frye and two others made by Coach in Italy (along with a bunch of other stuff that aren't leather travel bags, their bread and butter). If they stick to the classic American style aesthetic and keep making quality stuff that is unique to FP (I've never seen a FP jacket [shoes, yes but never the FP jackets] at any outlet in the San Diego area or even at Vegas outlets - but maybe they make it there[???]), we'd definately consider purchasing their pret-a-porter line(s).

Good question. Would I buy coach clothing? No. Would I buy further accessory options than they have? Probably not. I'm falling out of love with coach and just don't see myself further investing in their brand. Can my opinion change? Yes, but it will take a lot for coach to start winning me back. I still like coach but just don't love it as much as I did six months ago.

I doubt there's anything they'll make that will be above a size 12. They will fall into the trap that to be "luxury" you must only cater to the slender, just like most luxury brands. So, no. Never.

I buy pretty, pseudo-on-trend purses because I wear a size 24. I buy Coach because, as a professional fiber artist with a degree in Textiles, I appreciate quality materials and construction. MK and TB don't meet my standards. I'm definitely concerned that as Coach expands, the attention to detail will have to be spread thin.

I agree with everyone saying coach should differentiate between mff and fp branding. If Michael kors and Marc Jacobs can do it, so can coach. I can see it now, C by COACH, or something like that

C by Coach actually sounds good! Not in your face but subtle, if that makes sense. Should they adopt this one, we first saw it here from you on tPF :biggrin:

C by Coach actually sounds good! Not in your face but subtle, if that makes sense. Should they adopt this one, we first saw it here from you on tPF :biggrin:

I would be floored if coach actually used C by Coach. Lol. It would be pretty neat to have my idea carried out though. I wouldn't even charge them if they wanted to use it. :P

I doubt there's anything they'll make that will be above a size 12. They will fall into the trap that to be "luxury" you must only cater to the slender, just like most luxury brands. So, no. Never.

I buy pretty, pseudo-on-trend purses because I wear a size 24. I buy Coach because, as a professional fiber artist with a degree in Textiles, I appreciate quality materials and construction. MK and TB don't meet my standards. I'm definitely concerned that as Coach expands, the attention to detail will have to be spread thin.

I also thought about the sizing issue. Its another reason I wouldn't buy their clothing should they release a line. As a size 14 I'm just a little too big for their clothes and just a lot too mad at companies for not embracing women of all sizes. Could you imagine the markup for extended sizes though? I bet an XL would cost $50 more than a L.

I don't know if I would buy a Coach blouse etc. Would have to see the line before saying. However, I have really liked some of their jackets they are usually around $700, which is out of the range I would pay for a coat. Even the puffer jacket is $348. My daughter wanted one of the beanies in the full price store....again, not paying $130 for a knit hat!! Do these items really sell that well? Makes me wonder how they will do by expanding