How to get smoke odor out of purses

Just to let you ladies know that although baking soda/powder does get rid of the smell, it can really dry out the leather. My chloe heloise became really cracked after using baking soda.

get an old pair of nylon stockings,fill it with coffee. tie a knot and place in the zipped bag. depending how bad the smoke is it will take a minute to remove...You may have to continue to replace the coffee until odor is gone. the coffee absorbs the odor...it works...I bought a bag from a japanese seller and it was a really bad smoke odor...it took 2 solid weeks but now it is smoke free!

I was interested in buying a bag th current owner is not a smoker( whose had the bag for a month) but the person before her was. Can it get rid of the smell by being aired out? Its a leather bag thankk u so much girls!!!
get an old pair of nylon stockings,fill it with coffee. tie a knot and place in the zipped bag. depending how bad the smoke is it will take a minute to remove...You may have to continue to replace the coffee until odor is gone. the coffee absorbs the odor...it works...I bought a bag from a japanese seller and it was a really bad smoke odor...it took 2 solid weeks but now it is smoke free!

i heard that you have to expose your bag in the sun and needs an open air to remove it. but it will take a quite long time. :smile: im doing it right now. coz i bought a louis vuitton baggy pm . its a denim so its absorbs smell. the first owner is a smoker :sad:

Slice a very small piece of lemon or orange skin, leave it in the bag in the open air for a day or two, the smell should all go. But please make sure you place your orange/ lemon skin on a piece is paper cause they produce natural oil that might stain your bag. I used to be do that for our customers when working as *** at LV.

...was this brandoff, by chance? That's who stuck me with my smelly smoke filled wallet. Can't complain too much though because his prices are AH-MAZING, but he should have disclosed the problem.

LOL OMG yes...it was a Riveria bag...gorgeous and mint condition but it smelled like a pack of newports...but the prices was the bomb.com.lol but it's ok now [

QUOTE=tobefetching;22629578]...was this brandoff, by chance? That's who stuck me with my smelly smoke filled wallet. Can't complain too much though because his prices are AH-MAZING, but he should have disclosed the problem.[/QUOTE]

Hello, ladies! I've used a product named Fresh Wave in the small packets called "pearl packets" (I believe) to remove odors from handbags. I haven't used it on smoke, but I have used it on purses that had lingering perfume scents that I couldn't seem to get out otherwise (baking soda, etc.). This stuff comes in small packs inside of a larger plastic bag--think I got it at the Container Store. I put one pack on a small paper plate to keep it out of contact with the handbag liner and then place it in the bag and zip it up and leave it for a couple of days. Might be worth a try for the interior, at least.

Hello, ladies! I've used a product named Fresh Wave in the small packets called "pearl packets" (I believe) to remove odors from handbags. I haven't used it on smoke, but I have used it on purses that had lingering perfume scents that I couldn't seem to get out otherwise (baking soda, etc.). This stuff comes in small packs inside of a larger plastic bag--think I got it at the Container Store. I put one pack on a small paper plate to keep it out of contact with the handbag liner and then place it in the bag and zip it up and leave it for a couple of days. Might be worth a try for the interior, at least.

Oh thanks for the tip - and to everyone for the other ideas! I received a bag that smells musty, so hopefully I can get the smell out. Ick!

Clothes dryer sheets
This is the fastest way I have found to remove the cigarette odor. Place several dryer sheets inside the purse. I put one in each separate compartment of the purse and snap or zip the compartment closed. Put the purse in the dryer for 30 minutes. Be sure to use the "Air only" cycle (no heat) so you don't damage the leather.

Okay--- before anyone snorts coffee or soda into their sinuses--- :P

I have had success with, uhm... ladies pantiliners. :blush: The liners that has an "fresh odor activator" (e.g. Carefree Acti-Fresh).

The idea just came to me one day, I removed the paper strips from two pantiliners and pressed the adhesive sides together for a double sided "wing" :P and placed them all over the bag, in pockets, in compartments, outside the bag in its dustbag.

I'm serious, after a week, I didn't smell anything. A very inexpensive and tidy option.

Reactions: BagStalker44