Need HELP with Returning a chanel bag, pleeeaseee

Hi guys, i need help here, i bought a chanel bag from a seller in japan (a very trusted seller) she sent me the bag with a low value + marked it as a gift. i got the bag very fast with no problem whatsoever. but the thing is i am not satisfied and going to return the bag asap, the seller was fine with it, she was like okay if you are not happy with the bag you can return it to me but please declare the bag as $100 as i sent it with the low value also, i was worried about it what if the bag get lost on the way or something else happens, and she was like from my experience that wont happen especially if you have the tracking number plus i will take responsibility if anything happens. so what do you think? should i just go ahead send the bag with a low value? or mark it as it is. its above 2000$.

thanks in advance

Last edited:
First off she never should have done that in the first place. It is fraud. I do not recommend you do the same. You need to send it back with full value & insurance PLUS a method that tracks with signature required. Take no chances or you could be screwed out of your refund.

thanks so much lallybelle and beachy10! :smile:

1)so how would this work? I wil send the item back as a return with original price , insurance. But it's already been declared as low value by the seller? I am afraid the japanese customs ( seller and item from Japan) will reject it or anything else when the bag arrives at its destination. or is this not a problem?

2)If I send it back as a return with different value which is accurate, you think there will be no problems with ebay ?

3) What if I just send the bag as a new shipment and not connected with the original shipment from japan to USA? how would this work with ebay?

thanks for the answers....I am new at ebay ordering.

I dont think you can track a package unless you ship express insured. With the regular non express mail your tracking # wont work once in Japan. So u wont have any way of knowing what happened to your package.

I wouldn't take any chances if I were you, I wouldn't lower the value because than you can't insure it. Yes she would have to pay customs fees but maybe you can suggest to split it with her? If she would've done it correctly in the first place and declared the actual amount she wouldn't gotten her fees returned.

Hi there,
if you declared the bag as it actual values, then the seller has to pay really high taxes which YOU might have to take a loss since she will deduct from your refund. The reasons why the seller marked the bag as low value so you can avoid paying taxes on your part, if you returned it and mark it as original, you are making things more complicated for both parties. You can mail as express with tracking, goodluck.

You should be able to put on the parcel "unsuitable bag/goods- returning to sender" and they shouldn't be charged customs for that. I guess it's different in each country though.

Hi guys, i need help here, i bought a chanel bag from a seller in japan (a very trusted seller) she sent me the bag with a low value + marked it as a gift. i got the bag very fast with no problem whatsoever. but the thing is i am not satisfied and going to return the bag asap, the seller was fine with it, she was like okay if you are not happy with the bag you can return it to me but please declare the bag as $100 as i sent it with the low value also, i was worried about it what if the bag get lost on the way or something else happens, and she was like from my experience that wont happen especially if you have the tracking number plus i will take responsibility if anything happens. so what do you think? should i just go ahead send the bag with a low value? or mark it as it is. its above 2000$.

thanks in advance

I just sent back a bag yesterday actually. I wrote that is a used shoulder bag and it is a RETURNED ITEM. I wrote it in big letters on the customs form and I declared its actual value. I think it is important to do this especially because you're sending it to a foreign jurisdiction which can implicate multiple criminal fraud charges. I only had to pay $25.00 for shipping which is reasonable considering the registered mail costs. I also sent it to Japan and the people at the post office were very helpful. Good luck!

I agreed with What R2D2 said, she did that so that you won't have to pay any taxes On your part, if she put the real value of the bag, you might have to pay quite some money for taxes. I had to pay £5-6 for a gift from Malaysia which just cost about RM130 (about £22 by that time). I had to pay £5-6 for something worth £22 only, imagine how much tax it will be for your $2000 bag :shocked:

Also, for the normal registered mail, which is not express but does require signature, yes you can't track where the bag is when it's out from your country but you could mail or phone your local post office and ask them to track it for you. I sent a package to my friend in Australia and I was told that it should be arrived within 2 weeks, but my friend didn't received it. So after a month (starting from the date of dispatch), I sent in email for claiming the package and they were able to track it down for me, i just got the package back last monday. It might take some time if anything goes wrong, but most of the time it won't go missing. But if you're not comfortable with that, use express with tracking number.

For your 3rd question, I assumed it's fine, but I might be wrong since I'm not an expert when it comes to eBay. Good luck :flowers:

Paypal 100% requires TRACKING and a SIGNATURE that is viewable online. I think only Express International does this, check with PO. Did you ask her to declare lower value? As I said before THIS IS FRAUD. Regardless, if you do not follow the proper steps sending it back or commit customs fraud EBAY/PAYPAL WILL NOT help you if something goes wrong. I believe as stated above she shouldn't have to pay customs for a return.

Maybe to Mods can move this or you can post in the Ebay forum. The ladies in there really know there stuff.

Surely there would not be taxes due if you declared the high value but marked on the customs form that it was eg. 'defective purchase - return for refund' or similar? If it's being sent back to the country of origin, it's not being imported/exported (one-way) for tax purposes.

thanks so much lallybelle and beachy10! :smile:

1)so how would this work? I wil send the item back as a return with original price , insurance. But it's already been declared as low value by the seller? I am afraid the japanese customs ( seller and item from Japan) will reject it or anything else when the bag arrives at its destination. or is this not a problem?

2)If I send it back as a return with different value which is accurate, you think there will be no problems with ebay ?

3) What if I just send the bag as a new shipment and not connected with the original shipment from japan to USA? how would this work with ebay?

thanks for the answers....I am new at ebay ordering.

The bag will go through Japanese customs on its way back to the seller - while the Japanese post may keep a record of the original customs value, Japanese customs should not have this information from the original shipment (at least that's the way that it works in the US). You'll want to include a printout of the PayPal transaction AND mark the box and customs form as a return so that the seller won't be charged any duties or taxes.

Hi there,
if you declared the bag as it actual values, then the seller has to pay really high taxes which YOU might have to take a loss since she will deduct from your refund. The reasons why the seller marked the bag as low value so you can avoid paying taxes on your part, if you returned it and mark it as original, you are making things more complicated for both parties. You can mail as express with tracking, goodluck.

If the bag is clearly marked as a return, the seller should not have to pay any taxes or duties. Even if - for some reason - the seller did have to pay duties/taxes (which she could then appeal), the seller cannot deduct that amount from the buyer's refund.

If the bag is returned through Express Mail w/tracking & insurance (which it should be), then an accurate customs value will have to be declared in order for the package to be properly insured.

I don't understand why people do this with items that cost thousands of dollars...then it gets lost and they're here crying to TPF about how bad USPS sucks, etc...do it the right way OP so you can sleep well at night!