Chic Boutique Hotels *pics*

maxter

O.G.
Feb 5, 2006
Ok, I'm in a travel mood! Here's the last of 'em!

Hospitality industry experts say rumors of the boutique hotel's demise have been greatly exaggerated. You can still find hotels that are small enough to create an intimate feel, and are genuinely stylish and luxuriously comfortable to boot. In fact, a slew have opened in the last year, and more are on the way.

Here's a list of favorite new arrivals to help you sort through them. The largest has 90 rooms, the smallest just 4, and while their styles range from traditional to futuristic, all have distinct design and top-notch service.
1_0215feat2.jpg

Portrait Suites
Rome
Opened in 2006, this 14-room hotel owned by the Ferragamo family's Lungarno Hotels and poised above a Ferragamo store. But there's no branding inside--just cozy rooms and exquisite attention to detail, with boar-skin covered tables, portraits strewn around like family photos, and a classic palate of neutral colors accented with dashes of acid green.
2_0215feat2.jpg

Six Columbus
New York
The company that brought us the Hollywood Roosevelt and 60 Thompson is going uptown with the 90-room Six Columbus, on Columbus Circle overlooking Central Park, due to open in 2007. Interiors by designer Steven Sclaroff have a 1960s modernist look.
3_0215feat2.jpg

Hotel Marqués de Riscal
Elciego, Spain
Whether you love or hate this five-month-old hotel may depend on how you feel about starchitects in general, and designer Frank Gehry's signature metallic swoops in particular. But there is no denying it's a rare chance to stay inside a work of modern art. Just don't expect too many right angles in the 41 rooms.
4_0215feat2.jpg

Les Ottomans
Istanbul
The 12 opulent rooms in this nearly year-old boîte have what the Kiwi Collection's Philippe Kjellgren calls a "wild interpretation of traditional Turkish design." Translation? Gilt mirrors, French doors and plush Anatolian carpets in the lobby, plus unique suites overlooking the Bosphorus. All mix gold bedspreads fit for a pasha with widescreen televisions and feng shui design principles.
5_0215feat2.jpg

Adara Hotel
Whistler, Canada
Design goes to the ski slopes with Whistler's Adara Hotel, which opened last year. In a town that reveres timber beams and vast stone slabs, the 41-room Adara brings a refreshing hybrid sensibility with bright colors, molded plastic and work by local artists.

6_0215feat2.jpg

New Majestic Hotel
Singapore
Opened last year and located in Chinatown, the 30-room New Majestic brings some funk to Asia's most straight-laced city. Rooms mix vintage and designer furniture, and bathrooms have free-standing copper tubs. Some rooms feature six-meter ceilings; others have private gardens. Emerging Singaporean artists designed site-specific works for the pubic areas.
7_0215feat2.jpg

Myhotel Brighton
Brighton, England
Fans of cutting-edge design can look forward to the myhotel group's new Brighton property. The 81-room hotel, scheduled to open in 2007, was designed in cooperation with Karim Rashid, a designer noted for his translucent plastic home furnishings.
8_0215feat2.jpg

Azucar
Veracruz, Mexico
The owners of the Mexico City's stylish Habita and Condesa DF hotels opened this whitewashed 20-bungalow boutique on the beach last year, naming it in honor of the local sugar industry. Rooms have private terraces with hammocks.
9_0215feat2.jpg

Gaige House
Sonoma Valley, Calif.
In another example of urban boutique hoteliers branching out to the countryside, Thompson Hotels acquired this 23-room inn in the heart of Sonoma Valley wine country, relaunching it last year after extensive renovations. Peaceful surroundings are guaranteed: Architect Paul Discoe is also an ordained Soto Zen priest.
10_0215feat2.jpg

Clos Apalta Winery and Guest House
Santa Cruz, Chile
The winery noted for its unusual modern glass-and-curved-wood design, as well as its grapes, opened four terraced guest bungalows last year nestled into the hillside and with views of the winery and surrounding mountains.

I love the one in Spain! Actually they all look like great fun. the way travel is these days I wish I could just zap myself to my destination, and skip the airport and flying. I'd travel a lot more often.

thanks, maxter. Where do you find all these interesting tidbits?