Workplace The office refrigerator...

We have a small dorm fridge, but I rarely use it. I got an insulated lunch bag with an ice pack insert. The fridge is kept tidy, but I still prefer to keep my stuff separate. I think it's the paranoia that I still suffer from my last work place where food would disappear.

Office refrigerators and microwaves always end up gross. My office has signs up to remind staff to put their dirty dishes/cups/utensils in the dishwasher. Our facilities dept sends an email out once a month to tell staff to take their belongings out of the refrigerators because they're being cleaned and what's left is going in the garbage.

You always know who the worst offenders are...so I'm thinking "would you do this at home? Oh probably, because your office/cubical/work station is disgusting too!"

Sent from my iPad using PurseForum

Luckily, in the office I used to work in, we didn't really have a problem with people leaving unopened stuff in the fridge. The main problem was that people wouldn't wash their coffee cups after using them, so they'd pile up in the sink. Some people would leave unopened but expired food in the fridge, but they never got upset if someone threw it away.

I was always surprised at how people just wouldn't take 2 seconds to wash their own dirty dish! Even though we put up a sign asking people to clean up after themselves, they still wouldn't do it, but then when we'd take away the community coffee cups, people would complain. :rolleyes:

Upon inspection, she realized it was actually "biohazard!"

Turns out the guy's doctor had asked for a sample of his stool. He took a sample, and thought he'd keep it "fresh" by putting it in the fridge. No one knew how long it had been sitting there, but obviously some people have no idea what normal hygiene habits are - which was no surprise when he started getting stomach troubles in the first place.

you are the winner, hands down. gold medal for that one.

Ours is pretty gross. Fortunately, our department has its own mini fridge so I keep my own things in there and people are good about throwing things out. The microwaves are the worst though. People are terrible about cleaning up spills or just leaving the glass tray in the sink so nobody can use it.

Like others, I thought from the title of this thread, we were going to get some really weird "look what we found in the office fridge!" stories. I've come across TOO MANY in my working career.

There is one story that everyone in our office of 40 know about. I work at an investment bank and there was an analyst who had just come back from a trip in India. He had been having troubles for about 2 weeks so during work, he took a break to go see the doctor. A couple days went by after he had seen the doctor, when an admin assistant looking for left overs found a small odd bottle inside the fridge. Upon inspection, she realized it was actually "biohazard!"

Turns out the guy's doctor had asked for a sample of his stool. He took a sample, and thought he'd keep it "fresh" by putting it in the fridge. No one knew how long it had been sitting there, but obviously some people have no idea what normal hygiene habits are - which was no surprise when he started getting stomach troubles in the first place.

That is one of the most nastiest things I have read. Ewww! How disgusting and inconsiderate of him, yuck! He went too far.

We have the same problem too, just like the arses who jam the photo copier and walk away, don't fill the copier with paper when it's empty, or don't empty the shredder when it full.
That's another thread for a rant.

This is my pet peeve! We have 2 large printers that about 50 ppl print to. Its understandable that they will run out of paper, but it seems like I'm the only person that ever refills them.

I hope nobody in my office sees this lol
The refrigerator in the pantry is soooo tiny its probably enough to fit 3 lunch boxes max. And somehow when we leave milk in there during the weekend it will DEF turn into cheese on the Monday even thou it's still before the expiry date. Feels like someone took off the plug to save electricity! Not to mention the kettle, my colleague actually found a cockroach camouflaging with the black stain (when you don't descale) and it was actually boiled numerous times before he found out! the list goes on really, even the office suites are falling apart. The alarm sys went off more than 10 times today

OMG! That is disgusting! I am so grateful for our clean office fridge after reading this thread!!!!

Our names have to be on all food that it put into the kitchen. cleaning staff come through daily. If there is no names, it goes into the bin. No exceptions.

There is one shelf that is stocked by our office where some snacks and drinks are there for everyone. Depending on the food, it is cleaned out every few days.

I was always surprised at how people just wouldn't take 2 seconds to wash their own dirty dish! Even though we put up a sign asking people to clean up after themselves, they still wouldn't do it, but then when we'd take away the community coffee cups, people would complain. :rolleyes:

we all have to bring our own cups from home, if they're unwashed in the kitchen, the cleaners throw them out!! No one leaves their dirty cups on the kitchen anymore :biggrin:

Like others, I thought from the title of this thread, we were going to get some really weird "look what we found in the office fridge!" stories. I've come across TOO MANY in my working career.

There is one story that everyone in our office of 40 know about. I work at an investment bank and there was an analyst who had just come back from a trip in India. He had been having troubles for about 2 weeks so during work, he took a break to go see the doctor. A couple days went by after he had seen the doctor, when an admin assistant looking for left overs found a small odd bottle inside the fridge. Upon inspection, she realized it was actually "biohazard!"

That is beyond disgusting...WTF!!

I'm the only woman at work among a dozen men. I was surprised to find out how finicky most of them are about cleanliness. We have a nice-looking, cozy breakroom with large plants and after lunch, without fail, the tables and counters get wiped down, splatters are removed from the microwave and the dishes put in the dishwasher.

Maybe it's because all of us have lunch around the same time, so any slob would stand out like a sore thumb in such a small group. For condiments and various spices we all chip in, and if there's something in the fridge that looks "forgotten", out it goes.

The kitchen is still fairly new, with cherry-red cabinets, very pretty. Coffee and water are free, and people show their appreciation by taking care of it.

We have a fairly small office of only 20 people, but there are still problems! I actually got so grossed-out by the old food people left in the fridge (some stuff was over 1 year old, some pizza had mold on it, etc), that I sent out an email to everyone letting them know that I was going to clean out the fridge on a Friday. I tossed stuff with reckless abandonment! It was awesome.

There are 2 people that bring in paper grocery bags fulled with stuff for their lunches. They keep it there ALL the time. It takes up the bottom shelf of the fridge. It's so rude-- one of them also microwaves fish, broccoli, and Indian food (she is not Indian) nearly everyday. It's stinky and disgusting. I like her otherwise, but who the heck does that??