Our First Nail Polish Colors

Woha! So great you kept them.
And the Manhattan looks great for layering!

I always had that one special L'Oreal pink polish in my cabinet, it was my Grannys years back. And everytime she came to visit I painted her nails with it. I did that till she passed away and I holded on to that bottel so many years after her passing but somehow I lost it when I moved in together with the Fiance 7 years ago...
What color pink was it? A creme, frost, pearly etc.? Wouldn't it be weird if one of the two I still have is the same?!?!:nuts:

My first two polishes ever were:
Chi Chi Mortisha- this was back when black became hugely popular again (I was 15 and had just successfully kicked my nail biting habit), it was just a jet black creme, taught me to paint within the lines :lol:
OPI Big Apple Red- read an article in Vogue about the best red nail colours, this was listed, I grabbed it and it's still one of my favourite reds.

I still have both in my collection, though I'm on my second bottle of the Chi Chi one (not that I wear it anymore, it's not really my style now)...

What color pink was it? A creme, frost, pearly etc.? Wouldn't it be weird if one of the two I still have is the same?!?!:nuts:

It was a real pearly frosty light pink.
Almost like Dior Pink Berries or Pink Aristocrate just a hint more pink but still not bright at all.

I tried google search for a bottle pic, but darn, there are so many out there *lol*

But it sure would be fun if you had the same one!

Omg I love this thread. It's amazing to read what kicked off everyone's obsession..

In the 90's my sister and I became really obsessed with this one drugstore nail polish called "Terra Cotta Gold"-- when I'm done writing this I'm going on an internet hunt for it. No idea what brand. When my mother bought it for us we were so smitten.

And then MUCH later (08?), it was all downhill from China Glaze - Treehugger & For Audrey. That's when I was like, "I don't have to wear reds!!!!!!"

Thank you ladies for the nice response! I'm glad I'm not alone. I still have 2 of the oldest first np colors in my stash:P During those days, my color choice changes from lighter to more darker/vampy nowadays. I'm getting older of course, much older:P

Here's my oldies-Theater (no name)in chanelisque style bottle and color;) and Manhattan (no name again lol) Maybe there's a name but the stickers were rubbed out due to their oldness. Hey, they're on their 20th years and the formula doesn't change just like when they're new. That's why I didn't toss them away.

IMG_5146.jpg
OMG I just remembered I also had a dark purple shimmery Theatre nail polish!! :biggrin: I wonder where it went...

I love all these stories, what a great thread!

My very first nail polish was this one:
DSCN7726.jpg

Impossible to read the label, it's a cheap polish my parents bought me on our trip to the UK. It must be about 15-18 years old, I was still in elementary school. The polish is still perfect, I used it again last year :tup:

I don't think there was one polish that started my true obsession 2.5 years ago, it was mostly boredom and having too much time in the evening. Although the first polishes I did buy were the Essence Color&Go ones.

That is so awesome!!

Thank you!

I actually got them all while they were HTF, within the last year at least. I searched around nail salons like a mad woman and ended up finding all! There is hope!! Try dusty hunting!

I can't do dusty hunting here in Holland. I live in the city and I discovered only 2 places sells CG. One is a nail salon. I didn't see CG nps IRL at the time so I asked the nailtech about the product. She told me the price and where they're made/came from * hold your horses* ------- from China:shocked::roflmfao: I never bought from them even if I saw that they have the real stuff (not the ones from China). Maybe she never know it's only the name and not that they're produced in China. Or maybe they were produced in china long before???:lol:

Woha! So great you kept them.
And the Manhattan looks great for layering!

I always had that one special L'Oreal pink polish in my cabinet, it was my Grannys years back. And everytime she came to visit I painted her nails with it. I did that till she passed away and I holded on to that bottel so many years after her passing but somehow I lost it when I moved in together with the Fiance 7 years ago...

Of course I keep them. I'm a "keeper":giggles: They're still doing great, I thought maybe I can franken them or just layer it over or whatever lol Love the Manhattan, I used it a lot before.

I love all these stories, what a great thread!

My very first nail polish was this one:
DSCN7726.jpg

Impossible to read the label, it's a cheap polish my parents bought me on our trip to the UK. It must be about 15-18 years old, I was still in elementary school. The polish is still perfect, I used it again last year :tup:

I don't think there was one polish that started my true obsession 2.5 years ago, it was mostly boredom and having too much time in the evening. Although the first polishes I did buy were the Essence Color&Go ones.

It's Carroll. I saw them before but never tried it. I was hooked with Miss Sporty LOL

Last edited:
I've always loved going to a salon to get a mani/pedi, but my first polishes I owned were OPI I'm A Princess, You're Not! and Vodka & Caviar. I'm A Princess is still my most favorite and go to sheer (I'll cry when this bottle is gone, as it's been discontinued) and V&C is still my perfect go-to red.

The same experience I had with chanel vendetta. I saw it on the mags and I was lusting it since then. We didn't have luxury stores and we just had only 1 cosmetic store that sell luxury stuff. Years went by until I finally found vendetta lol (I never actually put much effort looking for it). I was not into nps for some years again and when I did, the first thing I was looking for was this polish:graucho: Later came Paradoxal but never get much love as I have with my first;)

LOL Correction: my second chanel np was the Rouge Noir and not Paradoxal. I forgot RN until I applied this yesterday. Paradoxal was my third chanel np.

I've always loved going to a salon to get a mani/pedi, but my first polishes I owned were OPI I'm A Princess, You're Not! and Vodka & Caviar. I'm A Princess is still my most favorite and go to sheer (I'll cry when this bottle is gone, as it's been discontinued) and V&C is still my perfect go-to red.

I googled OPI I'm A Princess and it looks pretty! The whole collection looks awesome lol You will really cry? I think I'll cry too when my Dior Paradise is nearing it's end. Glad I managed to find a back up. But still I almost don't want to use it:P afraid I'll never gonna find another bottle.

Last edited:
I had loads of varnishes when I was at school, was pretty obsessed back then! But they all went long ago :sad:

Or so I thought! When I was bemoaning the loss of my ridiculous glitter collection from the 90s to my mum, she told me that they were all in a box in my garage! When I moved out she started the process before I did, so I have a box, somewhere in my garage, FULL of all my old polishes! I remember a Streetwear bar glitter in there. There will be a happy day spent hunting, and then a big bottle of seche restore!

R&R thank you SO much for creating this thread! You helped me recover some treasures!

So when I was little my grandma use to keep me, and she would paint my nails. I don't really remember the colors although I'm sure it was pink as I can picture her wearing pink and I was the typical girl who's fav color was pink! I remember in hs having a few polishes from Walmart nothing important although I do remember a horrible blue and silver! Then I started wearing makeup which I followed in mom and older sisters footsteps and my mom bought me Mac. This is where my love affair begins! MAC Vino! I am guessing I probably bought it the first time my senior year and definitely went through a few bottles in college! When I got back into nail polish a few months ago I remembered my beloved MAC Vino and had a pretty good guess that my mom had part of a bottle at her house so when I went home for Christmas I snagged it. I also placed my first RBL order around the same time which included killa red! After reading this thread a few days ago it was like a lightbulb went off. I remembered I had a silver metal box from philosophy where I kept polish before I moved. When I moved I took my two fav current colors I was wearing at the time and put them with my perfumes while leaving the others in the box. About a year ago i cleaned out my bathroom and made a box of stuff I didnt use. I figured I'll put this in the extra closet and if I don't use any of it in the next few months I'll toss it! Well I kept meaning to get back to it and never did. I am SO glad as after reading the thread I went right to the box and found my old polishes! It's not much but I'm so happy! I found a brand new bottle of my previous vino! And another bottle about 40% full to go along with my partial from my moms I have almost 2 bottles! It's not 3 free I'm sure but every once in a while won't kill me =). The best part is the MAC Vino and RBL Killa Red are almost identical!

Here are some pics!

RBL Killa Red and MAC Vino
image-2882567560.jpg

Index and middle are MAC Vino (2 coats) ring and pinky are RBL killa red (1 coat)
image-3470608099.jpg

Opi mini set- anyone know what colors? They I believe are going to be from before 3free but probably after 2003. I have no memory of buying these and from the looks of the bottles it didn't appear I ever used them. But I really like them especially the two non orange so I'm glad I did!
image-1293899912.jpg

image-4059451694.jpg

image-1686036492.jpg

The rest of the box!
image-2576516539.jpg
L-R Shootout at the O.K. Coral, La Paz-itively Hot, Dancing in the Isles, Melon of Troy, Alter Ego, Alpine Snow, Creative Sneaky mini

The first two I remember having but no recollection of buying, the next two from the Greek collection my best friend and I were obsessed with along with its all Greek to me that I had pulled out of the box a long time ago, and the two whites I used for French, and the last one was my attempt to find a hot pink that matched the color from the salon I was going to. I loved the color so much the lady gave it to me cause there wasn't much left and I was moving.

image-1246702850.jpg

Here is that bottle..Haken- Don't make me laugh along with the mini. The mini is darker in person (2-3 shades darker than the Haken).

Again thanks R&R it was great to go down memory lane!

Sent from my iPad using PurseForum

Last edited:
I started wearing nail polish when I was in high school. Don't remember what the particular polish was but I wore a lot of Sally Hansen and Revlon. It pains me to think that I had quite a few of the Sally Hansen Nail Prisms polishes and I threw them away :hysteric:

Fell off the wagon for a while, then started a new addiction in January of 2011. Tried out a lot of new brands I'd never tried before. Firsts from what I can remember:
Zoya - Drew
Chanel - Lilac Sky
Dior - Purple Mix

CatherineC said:
R&R thank you SO much for creating this thread! You helped me recover some treasures!

So when I was little my grandma use to keep me, and she would paint my nails. I don't really remember the colors although I'm sure it was pink as I can picture her wearing pink and I was the typical girl who's fav color was pink! I remember in hs having a few polishes from Walmart nothing important although I do remember a horrible blue and silver! Then I started wearing makeup which I followed in mom and older sisters footsteps and my mom bought me Mac. This is where my love affair begins! MAC Vino! I am guessing I probably bought it the first time my senior year and definitely went through a few bottles in college! When I got back into nail polish a few months ago I remembered my beloved MAC Vino and had a pretty good guess that my mom had part of a bottle at her house so when I went home for Christmas I snagged it. I also placed my first RBL order around the same time which included killa red! After reading this thread a few days ago it was like a lightbulb went off. I remembered I had a silver metal box from philosophy where I kept polish before I moved. When I moved I took my two fav current colors I was wearing at the time and put them with my perfumes while leaving the others in the box. About a year ago i cleaned out my bathroom and made a box of stuff I didnt use. I figured I'll put this in the extra closet and if I don't use any of it in the next few months I'll toss it! Well I kept meaning to get back to it and never did. I am SO glad as after reading the thread I went right to the box and found my old polishes! It's not much but I'm so happy! I found a brand new bottle of my previous vino! And another bottle about 40% full to go along with my partial from my moms I have almost 2 bottles! It's not 3 free I'm sure but every once in a while won't kill me =). The best part is the MAC Vino and RBL Killa Red are almost identical!

Here are some pics!

RBL Killa Red and MAC Vino

Index and middle are MAC Vino (2 coats) ring and pinky are RBL killa red (1 coat)

Opi mini set- anyone know what colors? They I believe are going to be from before 3free but probably after 2003. I have no memory of buying these and from the looks of the bottles it didn't appear I ever used them. But I really like them especially the two non orange so I'm glad I did!

The rest of the box!

L-R Shootout at the O.K. Coral, La Paz-itively Hot, Dancing in the Isles, Melon of Troy, Alter Ego, Alpine Snow, Creative Sneaky mini

The first two I remember having but no recollection of buying, the next two from the Greek collection my best friend and I were obsessed with along with its all Greek to me that I had pulled out of the box a long time ago, and the two whites I used for French, and the last one was my attempt to find a hot pink that matched the color from the salon I was going to. I loved the color so much the lady gave it to me cause there wasn't much left and I was moving.

Here is that bottle..Haken- Don't make me laugh along with the mini. The mini is darker in person (2-3 shades darker than the Haken).

Again thanks R&R it was great to go down memory lane!

Thanks to Ashleyjena (and a very old tFP post inquiring about the same minis!) I have identified the minis! They're from L to R: la Boheme, Man of la Mancha, and Movin Out!