Our First Nail Polish Colors

mine were cheap dollar store ones too! I remember they were baby pink and baby purple. then after a few years I went to missha, a korean brand.
then I gave up on nail polish, and then my first OPIs - hearts and tarts, and black cherry chutney,

then in 2010, I discovered the nail polish sub forum and started my Chanel addiction

R&R thank you SO much for creating this thread! You helped me recover some treasures!

So when I was little my grandma use to keep me, and she would paint my nails. I don't really remember the colors although I'm sure it was pink as I can picture her wearing pink and I was the typical girl who's fav color was pink! I remember in hs having a few polishes from Walmart nothing important although I do remember a horrible blue and silver! Then I started wearing makeup which I followed in mom and older sisters footsteps and my mom bought me Mac. This is where my love affair begins! MAC Vino! I am guessing I probably bought it the first time my senior year and definitely went through a few bottles in college! When I got back into nail polish a few months ago I remembered my beloved MAC Vino and had a pretty good guess that my mom had part of a bottle at her house so when I went home for Christmas I snagged it. I also placed my first RBL order around the same time which included killa red! After reading this thread a few days ago it was like a lightbulb went off. I remembered I had a silver metal box from philosophy where I kept polish before I moved. When I moved I took my two fav current colors I was wearing at the time and put them with my perfumes while leaving the others in the box. About a year ago i cleaned out my bathroom and made a box of stuff I didnt use. I figured I'll put this in the extra closet and if I don't use any of it in the next few months I'll toss it! Well I kept meaning to get back to it and never did. I am SO glad as after reading the thread I went right to the box and found my old polishes! It's not much but I'm so happy! I found a brand new bottle of my previous vino! And another bottle about 40% full to go along with my partial from my moms I have almost 2 bottles! It's not 3 free I'm sure but every once in a while won't kill me =). The best part is the MAC Vino and RBL Killa Red are almost identical!

Here are some pics!

RBL Killa Red and MAC Vino
View attachment 1700317

Index and middle are MAC Vino (2 coats) ring and pinky are RBL killa red (1 coat)
View attachment 1700314

Opi mini set- anyone know what colors? They I believe are going to be from before 3free but probably after 2003. I have no memory of buying these and from the looks of the bottles it didn't appear I ever used them. But I really like them especially the two non orange so I'm glad I did!
View attachment 1700320

View attachment 1700321

View attachment 1700323

The rest of the box!
View attachment 1700325
L-R Shootout at the O.K. Coral, La Paz-itively Hot, Dancing in the Isles, Melon of Troy, Alter Ego, Alpine Snow, Creative Sneaky mini

The first two I remember having but no recollection of buying, the next two from the Greek collection my best friend and I were obsessed with along with its all Greek to me that I had pulled out of the box a long time ago, and the two whites I used for French, and the last one was my attempt to find a hot pink that matched the color from the salon I was going to. I loved the color so much the lady gave it to me cause there wasn't much left and I was moving.

View attachment 1700344

Here is that bottle..Haken- Don't make me laugh along with the mini. The mini is darker in person (2-3 shades darker than the Haken).

Again thanks R&R it was great to go down memory lane!

Sent from my iPad using PurseForum

WOW CatherineC, that's some amazing nps! And most of them are so HTF now. I love the OPIs especially the minis, they're such wonderful colors. I love reading your story lol I'm glad I inspired you in looking for your old nps. I know the feeling when you opened the box. You were enjoying these nps before, the more you'll enjoy with them now:graucho: Happy painting!

I started wearing nail polish when I was in high school. Don't remember what the particular polish was but I wore a lot of Sally Hansen and Revlon. It pains me to think that I had quite a few of the Sally Hansen Nail Prisms polishes and I threw them away :hysteric:

Fell off the wagon for a while, then started a new addiction in January of 2011. Tried out a lot of new brands I'd never tried before. Firsts from what I can remember:
Zoya - Drew
Chanel - Lilac Sky
Dior - Purple Mix

Sorry to hear about the thrown nps. I'm sure there were many lovely nps thrown away and we didn't know back then how impt. they are in our stash nowadays lol SH prisms are so awesome nps.

I'll cry when someone will come on here and say her Clarins 230 landed in the wastebasket:sad:

:hbeat:

We always love our nail polish hauls but there's always a soft spot with our firsts. Or I am the only one who get this feeling when holding/using my first np color? Pls. tell me that I'm wrong, I'm not the only one lol

Mine were;

Christian Dior-Massai Red
KOH-Black Stars
OPI- You Don't Know Jacques
Chanel-Vendetta
China Glaze-Ruby Pumps

I don't have to tell you all of my firsts but these are the brands w/c I'm concentrating ATM. I really love my firsts, what's yours???

What a great thread roundandround, I read all the comments and think back about my very first nail polish bottle which was a no name brand in bubblegum pink :lol: I love it to death, you know girls always love some pink during our younger years. I used 3 bottles of the same color lol

I went further with my life without nail polish for more than 10 years until I saw a picture of China Glaze Millinium on a magazine. That was my first adult life nail polish. I feel so happy everytime I look at my nails wearing it. I was browsing here on this sub-forum and saw someone posting a millinium-like nail polish and it brought me back the memories.

Who can remember that far back? LOL..

But what I can remember back then was Chanel, Revlon

Now for me its RBL Killa Red, Tom Ford, Smoky Red, Black Cherry, Sand Dune

I love KOH polishes but they are very hard to get & the colors look different
than when I received them.

My first polishes ever were by Italian brand Kost and I either used them all up or passed them along.
I didn't even keep first bottles of polish by certain brands - for instance my first China Glaze was Some Like It Haute and I wore it only once in three years so I sold it. On the other hand, my first OPI was Every Month Is Oktoberfest and I am always on lookout for dupes because I don't want to use that one up. :smile:

What a great thread roundandround, I read all the comments and think back about my very first nail polish bottle which was a no name brand in bubblegum pink :lol: I love it to death, you know girls always love some pink during our younger years. I used 3 bottles of the same color lol

I went further with my life without nail polish for more than 10 years until I saw a picture of China Glaze Millinium on a magazine. That was my first adult life nail polish. I feel so happy everytime I look at my nails wearing it. I was browsing here on this sub-forum and saw someone posting a millinium-like nail polish and it brought me back the memories.

Hey Zenerdiode, what fun you dropped by on here :smile: Pls. feel free to post your manis on here.

Yeah, who wouldn't want a pink mani in any girl"s/woman"s life? Googled Millinium and OMG, added to my WTB list.

Who can remember that far back? LOL..

But what I can remember back then was Chanel, Revlon

Now for me its RBL Killa Red, Tom Ford, Smoky Red, Black Cherry, Sand Dune

I love KOH polishes but they are very hard to get & the colors look different
than when I received them.

Sorry to hear about that. That's the reason why I don't order online. It's a great brand and they're hard to get now bec. they're sold only on selective shops.

My best friend's mom in the late 70's was a model so she had cases and cases of makeup and nail polish, I have no idea what brands they were but I remember doing nail art and skittles manis back in the day. You have to understand that that was pretty wild to wear more than one color at the same time, and certainly only little girls (like us) could get away with it! Black polish was worn only on Halloween, and shades of peach and pink were what "good girls" wore. Of course my two favorite polishes were Revlon "Cherries in the Snow" (they still make it I think) and Covergirl "Poppy."

I had pretty much every color in the original OPI lineup when they launched, back then I'm pretty sure they were salon-only polishes but I had my sources and was able to purchase them. I only have one bottle left from that stash, "Prince George's Passion" which looks a lot better on the nail than in swatch photos.

I stopped wearing polish for a long, long time until I tried Avon's quickdry topcoat which worked pretty much like Seche Vite -type topcoats. That was a game-changer for me so I began becoming interested in polish again. Chanel Paradoxal was my first love, and I would've killed for my current stash of polish when I was a kid!! I'm so glad the old color rules are somewhat thrown out. Now get off my lawn!

My first nail polish was Napoleon Perdis Santorini Sunset (about 2004/05?), I loved that colour so much, I stopped biting my nails so I could wear it :P I still have the bottle (about 1/3 left and probably completely dried up).

Now I basically only collect Chanels, and since the reformulation, I hunt vintage Chanels :graucho:

All I can remember was that it was bright orange and it looked horrible on me, but I loved it because it was the first time I was allowed to wear nailpolish.

Hey Zenerdiode, what fun you dropped by on here :smile: Pls. feel free to post your manis on here.

Yeah, who wouldn't want a pink mani in any girl"s/woman"s life? Googled Millinium and OMG, added to my WTB list.

:wave: roundandround, I seldom come on tpf the last years since our encounter on the Balenciaga sub-forum.

I,m not painting my nails frequently but do it when I attend parties or when we go on vacation. I

My best friend's mom in the late 70's was a model so she had cases and cases of makeup and nail polish, I have no idea what brands they were but I remember doing nail art and skittles manis back in the day. You have to understand that that was pretty wild to wear more than one color at the same time, and certainly only little girls (like us) could get away with it! Black polish was worn only on Halloween, and shades of peach and pink were what "good girls" wore. Of course my two favorite polishes were Revlon "Cherries in the Snow" (they still make it I think) and Covergirl "Poppy."

I had pretty much every color in the original OPI lineup when they launched, back then I'm pretty sure they were salon-only polishes but I had my sources and was able to purchase them. I only have one bottle left from that stash, "Prince George's Passion" which looks a lot better on the nail than in swatch photos.

I stopped wearing polish for a long, long time until I tried Avon's quickdry topcoat which worked pretty much like Seche Vite -type topcoats. That was a game-changer for me so I began becoming interested in polish again. Chanel Paradoxal was my first love, and I would've killed for my current stash of polish when I was a kid!! I'm so glad the old color rules are somewhat thrown out. Now get off my lawn!

How Lucky you were during that time! It's little girls dream come true in the makeup paradise lol