Shining Monkey vs. Appleguard

When I bought my Apple Leather Care (conditioner), I asked about Apple Garde (spray) and according to the SA, Apple Garde should only be used on brand new leather. He said that otherwise it will seal in all the dirt on the leather.

That's not correct according to Apple Garde. Here is their description of their repellant product:

Keeps suede, nubuck, leather, and fabrics water repellent.

Special wax-free, silicon-free, formulation will not seal pores, allowing leather to breathe.

Excellent for all smooth leathers, including exotic leather skins.

Replenishes the natural oils in leather thus preventing drying and cracking.

Safe on all colors, including delicate pastels and whites. It will not pull or darken colors.

You can use Apple Garde on older leather ~ that's just not true. You are supposed to re-treat your bags every few months. Apple products have been tested and proven to be safe and gentle to leather products.

I would think the Shining Monkey is more of a fabric protector, meant for cars. like Scotch Guard, and that would be more harmful. What are the long-term effects of Shining Monkey? Does anyone know? I would think after time the coating that it makes might yellow or discolor. I'm not willing to take that risk on my expensive bags. Just my opinion.

*Freetoes* said:
That's not correct according to Apple Garde. Here is their description of their repellant product:

Keeps suede, nubuck, leather, and fabrics water repellent.

Special wax-free, silicon-free, formulation will not seal pores, allowing leather to breathe.

Excellent for all smooth leathers, including exotic leather skins.

Replenishes the natural oils in leather thus preventing drying and cracking.

Safe on all colors, including delicate pastels and whites. It will not pull or darken colors.

You can use Apple Garde on older leather ~ that's just not true. You are supposed to re-treat your bags every few months. Apple products have been tested and proven to be safe and gentle to leather products.

I would think the Shining Monkey is more of a fabric protector, meant for cars. like Scotch Guard, and that would be more harmful. What are the long-term effects of Shining Monkey? Does anyone know? I would think after time the coating that it makes might yellow or discolor. I'm not willing to take that risk on my expensive bags. Just my opinion.
Thanks for that info. I just bot 2 apple products and I feel confortable about using them now.

*Freetoes* said:
Unless the fabric in cars discolor, I doubt the bags will. Someone mentioned using it on their LV and spraying it on again after a few months after cleaning the bag.

*Freetoes* said:

According to their site, it will not affect the breathability of the leather and also gentle enough to be used on suede just like AppleGarde.

I'm about to spray my LV with Shining Monkey, but need to know:

For the LV mono bags, are you supposed to spray the canvas part too, or just the vachetta? Thanks!

jenna said:
Cool! Thanks so much!!! I got my can a while back, but it's taken a while to get around (up the courage) to spray my more expensive bags :shame: .
You can try with a less expensive bag just to see how it's like on the hardware and such. ;) You have to be 100% okay with it. I know I hesitated when I first got the can so I started with my Coach bags and kate spades and finally my LVs.

I've tried both Shining Monkey and Appleguarde spray, and I also have the Vectra spray recommended by Chanel. Personally, for my LV Vachette leather, I prefer Shining Monkey. My older bags which I sprayed appleguarde on, still has some water spots even after spraying, the shining monkey ones on the other hand have no waterspots and have patina'd nicely. I only sprayed the leather parts, and don't purposely spray the canvas. Also, shining monkey dries quicker versus the appleguarde can take a few hours.