Shining Monkey vs. Appleguard

I have a completely suede camel colored coach tote that I would like to protect, and I've read several times that the apple garde spray seems somewhat sticky and actually attracts dirt. Can anyone give me some tips on the apple garde vs SM for a suede tote? I want to apply something that's not going to change the color or leave some sort of film. TIA!

^^ shining monkey is fabric protector.. so if your bag is fabric use it with no worries.

I have used it on the vachetta of my lv bags but prefer apple guard for it.

^^ shining monkey is fabric protector.. so if your bag is fabric use it with no worries.

I have used it on the vachetta of my lv bags but prefer apple guard for it.

Shining Monkey is a fabric/leather protector. I have used it on three HH bags (incl. one suede bag) with great success:tup: I even sprayed my new HH wallet with it! The spray is very lightweight and dries very quickly. Make sure to use it outdoors in a ventilated area and let the item you spray stay outside until it is dry. Also, wash your hands after using the spray in case you get any spray on them.

Ok, I am reading about Shining Monkey and Appleguard. What type of products are these besides water repellants? Are they creams, sprays? Where are they puchased? I am dying to use my pink suede bad again that has been living in it's dustbad for 2 years.
That is pretty bad when Coach can't even provide instuctions on cleaning their products. How crazy is it to buy a bag at their enormously priced range then it can't even be cleaned? I have called them several times too. They don't help.
Thank you whoever you are for this much needed sought after answer to my dilemma and probably a whole lot of others too!
I thought it was just going to have to rot.

Shining Monkey is a fabric/leather protector. I have used it on three HH bags (incl. one suede bag) with great success:tup: I even sprayed my new HH wallet with it! The spray is very lightweight and dries very quickly. Make sure to use it outdoors in a ventilated area and let the item you spray stay outside until it is dry. Also, wash your hands after using the spray in case you get any spray on them.
What is a vachetta?

I know this post was from many moons ago, but for anyone now reading, don't worry about using SM on your LV! Hell, I started right away on the vachetta bottom of my Cabas Piano :graucho: ...everyone's favorite vulnerable spot. I focus on the vachetta with a quick sweeping motion and if it gets on the canvas, no harm done. Just give it good air circulation to dry.

I bought my SM off amazon.com.
What is an LV? Sorry:confused1:

That's not correct according to Apple Garde. Here is their description of their repellant product:

Keeps suede, nubuck, leather, and fabrics water repellent.

Special wax-free, silicon-free, formulation will not seal pores, allowing leather to breathe.

Excellent for all smooth leathers, including exotic leather skins.

Replenishes the natural oils in leather thus preventing drying and cracking.

Safe on all colors, including delicate pastels and whites. It will not pull or darken colors.

You can use Apple Garde on older leather ~ that's just not true. You are supposed to re-treat your bags every few months. Apple products have been tested and proven to be safe and gentle to leather products.

I would think the Shining Monkey is more of a fabric protector, meant for cars. like Scotch Guard, and that would be more harmful. What are the long-term effects of Shining Monkey? Does anyone know? I would think after time the coating that it makes might yellow or discolor. I'm not willing to take that risk on my expensive bags. Just my opinion.
I just got on the Shining Monkey website and it clearly states that SM can be used on vehicles as well as fine suede products and pastels without pulling out the color.

I've tried both Shining Monkey and Appleguarde spray, and I also have the Vectra spray recommended by Chanel. Personally, for my LV Vachette leather, I prefer Shining Monkey. My older bags which I sprayed appleguarde on, still has some water spots even after spraying, the shining monkey ones on the other hand have no waterspots and have patina'd nicely. I only sprayed the leather parts, and don't purposely spray the canvas. Also, shining monkey dries quicker versus the appleguarde can take a few hours.
When you say you only spray the leather, do you mean the suede? My bad is suede and I need to know if Shining Monkey or Apple Guard is safe on suede and does it really clean suede? Also, when using Shining Monkey, do you wipe to clean the suede to pull the nap of the suede back up or what is the process used for cleaning suede?

When you say you only spray the leather, do you mean the suede? My bad is suede and I need to know if Shining Monkey or Apple Guard is safe on suede and does it really clean suede? Also, when using Shining Monkey, do you wipe to clean the suede to pull the nap of the suede back up or what is the process used for cleaning suede?
Oh and what is vachetta leather? Sorry I don't know.

hi everyone
here are some questions
I have an older LV speedy, what should the process be.
1) clean
2)condition
2)spray
and do i only spray the handles? Thanks in advance

Also, I have a mbmj hillier also worn. What should the process be for that?
Thanks

I'd clean a vintage bag and let it dry thoroughly -- like for several days -- before applying a spray protectant. When in doubt, the brand of protectant spray you have should include instructions.

I used Shining Monkey on nylon, leather and suede bags with no problems at all. I don't own any MJ bags so I can't comment on that.
Have you ever used Shining Monkey to clean pink suede? I have a Coach bag that has been sitting in my drawer that I would love to use again. It is noticeably dirty along the stitching where it picked up dinginess. What do you think? It has never been preserved with any product yet, but when I get my can of Shining Monkey I plan on using that to clean and preserve the suede. Would you?