Your HERMES & Air Travel....what do you do?

I put what ever bag I have in my Les Pliages and lie it flat in the tray; the bag has never been examined. The bag is pretty much in my Les Pliages the entire time of travel--until I arrive at my destination.

I just got my Longchamp Pliage tote and my Birkins and Kelly's fit inside perfectly! I don't know which bags I'll be taking with me to NYC in April but whichever one(s) go, they'll stay inside the Pliage until I land at Newark!!!!!

I recently took my CDC 35 birkin on her maiden voyage. She went through security in her pink and brown Pliage. On the plane I had to take her of the Pliage in order to place her behind my legs and under the blanket, as PBC does. It worked great. The Pliage is too big and bright and would show from behind the blanket.

However, beware: there are many little screws popping up from the floor of the plane. It's a minefield of potential scratches. So next time I will keep her in her dustbag before placing her on the floor. It's also a good reason to get a black or navy Pliage--less conspicuous.

On my last trip back I used the Large Longchamp Pilage with my orange 35 Togo, and Kelly in the carryon (hardcase).
When they have to go through the Xray I always open the pilage and carryon for them to see better..
and on the plane the birkin with the pilage goes under the chair and Kelly inside the carryon in the cabin.

^Yes! A plane is a gauntlet of hazards I never noticed before I brought my H on board.

potiron, I never close my birkin, even when going through security. The leather is stiff, so it takes a little effort to close it; also, because it's stiff, the top tends to stay closed all by itself, and the bag is deep, so the result is that stuff doesn't fall out.

isus, the airline wants you to put your handbag on the floor either under your seat or the seat in front of you. None of us wants to do that so it is suggested that you cheat a little and either keep the bag on your lap, hidden from view under a blanket, or place it before hand in a larger travel bag like a Pilage.

Susi.....the last time I flew I had to put everything under the seat in front of me or in the overhead. After takeoff, I put it on my lap or in the seat next to me if its empty.....do you have a Longchamp Pliage yet? If not, I can highly recommend it....

i have a herve chapelier bag that goes around my birkin 35. i put my birkin in the sleeper and the little pouch around the lock hanging off the clochette to prevent it from scratching the leather, then put it in the bag. it went though the checkpoint fine. i left the bag open in case it needs to get searched. i like the herve bag cos it has two zippers and so i close the bag down the middle. and i like to put the bag behind my legs and cover it up with a blanket :biggrin:

i have a herve chapelier bag that goes around my birkin 35. i put my birkin in the sleeper and the little pouch around the lock hanging off the clochette to prevent it from scratching the leather, then put it in the bag. it went though the checkpoint fine. i left the bag open in case it needs to get searched. i like the herve bag cos it has two zippers and so i close the bag down the middle. and i like to put the bag behind my legs and cover it up with a blanket :biggrin:

p, I might try that, too. What are the dimensions of your herve bag, and where's a good place to find one?