Are wallets and accessories too expensive?

Absolutely. My LV wallet actually costs more than a Speedy 25 or 30. It was a big debate about whether to buy a speedy and a piece of LV luggage, or a Speedy and a wallet...I went for the wallet though because it is something that I use every day, and I don't like to carry an expensive bag with a cheapo wallet inside.

HAHAHA, I totally agree! Somehow carrying a nice bag and a cheap flimsy wallet seems like a total paradox. I have an aunt who'd always exclaim, "If I bought that expensive bag, I wouldn't have anything to put in it because I would've spent all my money on the bag alone!" Well, I say save up for both so they complement each other nicely.

I use an Hermes wallet, and am really happy with my upgrade (bought around 6 months ago) - it's something I use everyday, so the cost per wear is far less than a bag... even though it cost as much as one!

i agree wallets these days are too expensive.

i have two wallets though, a banana republic billfold for all my lesser used things, like social security, store credit cards, ids i rarely use, emergency cash etc

and then i have a more expensive balenciaga coin purse i use for my everyday things, like id, major credit card, atm card, keys, cash, etc etc

I am also too lazy to change my wallet, so I use the same one every day.

My last wallet was an LV french purse, which I bought 10 years ago. I used it every single day for those 10 years. I think I paid $300 or so for it at that time. It held up like a champ.

After 10 years, I noticed that it was starting to show wear (after I had it reglazed once), so I put it on eBay. It sold for $150! I used the proceeds to purchase the same darn wallet, now listed at $525 (thank goodness I bought it after the price drop!).

So when you factor in that I can probably use this wallet for another 10 years, I think that's pretty cost effective at about $4.20 per month, not counting the $150 "discount" that I got from selling the old one!

I'm glad you started this thread. I've been having the same debate in my head for some time now. I don't like pulling my cheap wallet out of my nice bags, but I can't seem to get over the fact that if I buy the LV wallet I really want it would be just as expensive as buying another speedy! I'm still torn!

I am also too lazy to change my wallet, so I use the same one every day.

My last wallet was an LV french purse, which I bought 10 years ago. I used it every single day for those 10 years. I think I paid $300 or so for it at that time. It held up like a champ.

After 10 years, I noticed that it was starting to show wear (after I had it reglazed once), so I put it on eBay. It sold for $150! I used the proceeds to purchase the same darn wallet, now listed at $525 (thank goodness I bought it after the price drop!).

So when you factor in that I can probably use this wallet for another 10 years, I think that's pretty cost effective at about $4.20 per month, not counting the $150 "discount" that I got from selling the old one!

The French Purse is the wallet I had been eyeing! I think you may have just convinced me to go for the gusto and get it!

I think they're really expensive for their size...but I really want an LV wallet one day. I usually use the same wallet for a long time, basically until it falls a part, so in the end it's worth it. I switch bags all the time, so in terms of $$ per use, I think the wallets are worth it, but they seem so small compared to bags that sometimes I can't figure out why they cost so much.

I love looking and dreaming about all the small accessories, but I am not one for switching wallets or cosmetic bags. I have been using a black mosaic wallet for 5+ years and just purchased a beautiful black MJ wallet last weekend, but I purchased it on ebay for $125.00. I have a harder time justifying a wallet purchase, as it is always "IN" the bag.

Wallets are indeed expensive. Most LV gals seem to go for the French Purse or the PTI, but those cost almost as much as a new bag. I instead opted for a men's billfold for $250. The billfold style doesn't look as feminine as the FP or PTI, but I feel getting in it in mono softened the look a bit.
I use a LeSportsac makeup bag. I was seriously tempted by the Pochette Cosmetique by LV, but I cringed at the idea of paying that much for something that could potentially get stained with makeup.

RIght now I have a Rafe' (not from target) wallet that is pink with some hardware on the sides. I bought it at TJ Maxx for a really good price and I absolutely love it. I don't mind pulling it out of my purses at all and it is my everyday wallet. I love this wallet because it has alot of CC slots a change slot for my coins and two sides to hold my misc. stuff. I hope to have this wallet until it falls apart. My boyfriend thinks I should get another wallet, but I'm holding onto this one for awhile.

I try not to spend a lot on wallets, but still I want something that looks nice.

I bought my LV wallet nearly 17 years ago, and it still looks great so it was one of my smarter purchases. If you think about it, EVERY type of purse and accessory has gone through the roof price wise, and wallets have always been almost as much as a purse because more work can go into one. The raw materials, even leather, are nothing compared to the labor involved.

What gets me are expensive cosmetic bags that are so simply made. Then it becomes just about the name.

Absolutely!:yes: Yet on the other hand you only need 1 wallet a year (well, at least I do;)) so it is absolutely worth it I believe. My SO gave me a beautiful Chanel wallet for my B-Day last year and I still use it and it still looks great so I think it was worth every cent:love:

its harder and just plain more complicated to make a wallet. take the LV speedy for instance. for the most part: one long continuous piece of material. a wallet? multiple pockets, c./c slots a closure, all very tiny, a small space to be working in and not ruin, have to make it hella durable, and overall, just a piece that takes longer to make and sometimes a wider variety of materials.