Disneys First Black Princess Introduced

Newgrlonthebloc

More LV Please...
Feb 27, 2007
This is wonderful news. Afterall it's 2007. It would have been nice if they had done this sooner but it's better late than never. The movie will also be set in New Orleans........which I think is perfect considering all that has gone on down there in regards to Hurricane Katrina. :happydance:

Here's the Link:

Yahoo! Movies: Movie News -

That's wonderful, especially considering that they've never had portrayals of black people that have shown them in a favorable light in their movies.

There a scene from the 1940 version of Fantasia that was later removed because it was racist. It was during the Pastoral Symphony with all the centaurs.

It could be argued that the crows from Dumbo could be considered racist but I don't think so. Maybe the way they talk is objectionable, but other than Timothy, the crows were Dumbo's only friends and it was their feather that helped him overcome his fears.

Very nice!:biggrin:
Although I swore there has been one/some already{?}
Guess not.
Now maybe they let some of the Mommas live or give us Moms a a true role in a movie as well.

lajb10103082023.widec.jpg
Judi Bottoni / AP
Randy Newman on piano and the Dirty Dozen Brass Band play a song from Walt Disney's animated musical fairy tale ‘The Frog Princess’ on Wednesday in New Orleans.

March 9, 2007

NEW ORLEANS - The Walt Disney Co. has started production on an animated musical fairy tale called “The Frog Princess,” which will be set in New Orleans and feature the Walt Disney Studio’s first black princess.
The film, set for release in 2009, also is the first hand-drawn film Disney has committed to since pledging last month to return to the traditional animation that made it a worldwide brand.

I can't wait to see that.

Kind of off topic, but not really . . . has anyone seen HBO Family's Happily Ever After: Fairy Tales For Every Child? It's a series that retells the world's most famous fairy tales with a cast of characters from different ethnic backgrounds. The episode I saw was The Princess and the Pea with an Asian cast. Margaret Cho voiced the queen and Karen Lew voiced the Princess.

I think it's wonderful that children see that not all the princesses/princes and all the heroines/heros are white. A black girl can be a princess and an Asian boy can be a prince.

I can't wait to see that.

Kind of off topic, but not really . . . has anyone seen HBO Family's Happily Ever After: Fairy Tales For Every Child? It's a series that retells the world's most famous fairy tales with a cast of characters from different ethnic backgrounds. The episode I saw was The Princess and the Pea with an Asian cast. Margaret Cho voiced the queen and Karen Lew voiced the Princess.

I think it's wonderful that children see that not all the princesses/princes and all the heroines/heros are white. A black girl can be a princess and an Asian boy can be a prince.

Thanks for that information Caitlin. I don't believe we've ever caught the program but I'm sure my 4 year old will love it. I'll check to see when it's on here.:smile:
Have a great weekend everyone!