Tech I accidentally went to goggle instead of google. Did i get a virus?

LipGlossQueen

Jan 31, 2008
Accidentally typed goggle dot com instead of google and it took me to this site that said I won a free gift and to choose it. I immediately x'ed out the web page. Didn't click anything. Am I safe? It's a brand new laptop and I didn't have a chance to set up my virus protection. Supposedly it used to be a really bad virus but it was removed. Thanks for any info.

Accidentally typed goggle dot com instead of google and it took me to this site that said I won a free gift and to choose it. I immediately x'ed out the web page. Didn't click anything. Am I safe? It's a brand new laptop and I didn't have a chance to set up my virus protection. Supposedly it used to be a really bad virus but it was removed. Thanks for any info.

Hi, I think you are safe when you closed the page immediately. If it's Windows it comes with some basic web protection from the start, I would install and run a anti-virus program though.

Be aware that there's a number of malware pop-ups and sites that look suspiciously just like valid Windows programs ... but if you click the red X to close them, you start the installation process for the malware. If you are all unsure about a site or a pop-up window, the only way to be sure you 'kill' the process is to turn off the computer - click Start > Shut down.