Tech I accidentally went to goggle instead of google. Did i get a virus?

LipGlossQueen

Jan 31, 2008
Accidentally typed goggle dot com instead of google and it took me to this site that said I won a free gift and to choose it. I immediately x'ed out the web page. Didn't click anything. Am I safe? It's a brand new laptop and I didn't have a chance to set up my virus protection. Supposedly it used to be a really bad virus but it was removed. Thanks for any info.

Elliespurse

Authenticator
O.G.
Jun 21, 2009
europe
Accidentally typed goggle dot com instead of google and it took me to this site that said I won a free gift and to choose it. I immediately x'ed out the web page. Didn't click anything. Am I safe? It's a brand new laptop and I didn't have a chance to set up my virus protection. Supposedly it used to be a really bad virus but it was removed. Thanks for any info.
Hi, I think you are safe when you closed the page immediately. If it's Windows it comes with some basic web protection from the start, I would install and run a anti-virus program though.

indiaink

Eh
Authenticator
O.G.
May 3, 2007
Be aware that there's a number of malware pop-ups and sites that look suspiciously just like valid Windows programs ... but if you click the red X to close them, you start the installation process for the malware. If you are all unsure about a site or a pop-up window, the only way to be sure you 'kill' the process is to turn off the computer - click Start > Shut down.