LV and Smoking

In some cultures (european, middle eastern) there is not as much of a stigma around smoking as in the US. Theyre probably not introducing new models of cigarette holders, they've probably been around for a while and in some countries they probably buy these. They probably dont sell as many in the US. They were probabliy more popular in the 60s, 70s, 80s.

I don't know about the US, but in some countries of europe smoking is already banned in inside public areas such as cafes shops and terminals, even clubs and restaurants. A lot of people here consider it rude to smoke inside if there are kids present and also onside other people's house. THe rules are very different from country to country, and sometimes even area to area.

As for sigarette cases they seem to be tokens of past times, much like the trunks etc. Perhaps they'll find a new use later on, because they are beautiful.

Smoking definitely has a stigma here. The political discussion is all about banning smoking in buildings, restaurants, clubs etc. that are open to the public, and especially any worksplaces. So at least our part of "Europe" isn't smoke friendly (@stefania) :smile:
To the OP - congrats on quitting! What an achievement! Please stay smoke-free :smile:

Smoking is banned in all public places in California, which is so nice for someone like me, who has mild asthma. Many other states have similar laws.

I noticed on ebay that a multicolor Speedy or Alma (I forget which) was being sold for $599 largely because it has, according to the seller, a very strong cigarette smell.

I have to say as well that it is definitely not true that smoking isn't a stigma in Europe!! Further to the first post smoking has been decreasing in France for a good time now and the old image of heavy smoking doesn't really suit to France anymore IMO. Though compared to some European countries it still is more common.

I first want to say I love the way you write! I laughed at the snoop dog video comment and love the yoga bag reference. I'm totally with you on thinking that in the States smoking does have stigma as compared to other countries and I think it's been that way for over 10 yrs now. I feel this way because I used to smoke back in 1991-92 and was ostracized for smoking at my college by the other students in my dorm(basically none of them smoked if you can believe it) and when I went home for break I recall being on the boardwalk and an older fellow muttering loud enough for me to hear how disgusting I was for smoking. I'm sure the fact that none of my friends smoked made it easier for me to quit. These days now that I'm in my 30's and know that I'm not invincible I don't get the idea of smoking bec. it can kill you and who wants to take that known risk?

I think there is, but I think they are trying to keep people happy by offering things for them. I personally don't think that by offering these certain accessories that the companies are "glamorizing" smoking, just keeping the customers happy. I don't smoke and never will just because LV happens to make a cigarette case. Anyway, if they don't sell, then they'll probably stop producing them, but I guess they must be selling to some people. Besides, I'm sure they fit other things besides cigarette boxes, like a small ipod etc.

ita with Rebecca!! :yes: ...............congrats on quitting!! :yahoo:

Congrats on quitting that is a wonderful thing :smile:
I guess LV are just making them to satisfy their smoking customers..not cool in my book. but not much you can do about it :/
I hate smoking to bits & so does my family thank god.

I first want to say I love the way you write! I laughed at the snoop dog video comment and love the yoga bag reference. I'm totally with you on thinking that in the States smoking does have stigma as compared to other countries and I think it's been that way for over 10 yrs now. I feel this way because I used to smoke back in 1991-92 and was ostracized for smoking at my college by the other students in my dorm(basically none of them smoked if you can believe it) and when I went home for break I recall being on the boardwalk and an older fellow muttering loud enough for me to hear how disgusting I was for smoking. I'm sure the fact that none of my friends smoked made it easier for me to quit. These days now that I'm in my 30's and know that I'm not invincible I don't get the idea of smoking bec. it can kill you and who wants to take that known risk?

Thankx. Thats just who I am, I make comedic reference in the most serious of convos. :roflmfao:

They are just catering to the masses. It's a business. Also if you think about it, how many smokers would buy the cigerette case if it was named for something else, like an ipod case or card case. Since it is specifically catered to them, I would think someone who smokes is more prone to buy it instead of thinking "wow, I could house my ciggies in there" with a similiar case.
I'm not sure I explained that properly lol.

With that said and done, I do not smoke, but some of my friends unfortunately do, but do not care for such a case.

I think there is, but I think they are trying to keep people happy by offering things for them. I personally don't think that by offering these certain accessories that the companies are "glamorizing" smoking, just keeping the customers happy. I don't smoke and never will just because LV happens to make a cigarette case. Anyway, if they don't sell, then they'll probably stop producing them, but I guess they must be selling to some people. Besides, I'm sure they fit other things besides cigarette boxes, like a small ipod etc.

:yes: One of my bff's bought a mono cigarette case but she doesn't smoke at all. She got it cuz it fits her phone perfectly..

i don't think LV having smoking accessories glamourizes smoking at all. and from what i've seen & heard (at least on sex & the city anyways, ha) smoking in france is looked at MUCH differently than from how it is viewed in the US. with LV being a french company, it makes sense for them to have smoking accessories. i think it's great that they appeal to that. fortunately, i don't smoke - but i imagine that if i did, i want would something stylish to keep my cigarettes in :yes: and like someone else said, although the case is actually titled 'cigarette case' - it can definitely be used for other things, such as a case for various electronics.

..just my opinion!

I suppose there will always be people who will smoke regardless of stigma so as long as these people continue to smoke there will be a market for the accessories. If everyone stopped then there would be no market & the designers wouldn't produce anymore.

I think we are all adults and free to make our own choices. I also think companies also primarily produce products that the customer desires. So are they promoting such a habit, i don't think so. I think they are simply meeting the varied needs of their varied clientele.