Are there any pics of the first Coach handbags?

ponytail

Sep 16, 2009
I've been wondering just what those first Coach leather bags looked like in 1941.

Has Coach ever done a picture gallery of their older collections?

If I'd been setting up the 70th Anniversary collection launch I'd have juxtaposed the anniversary bags with the orginals from 1941!

I don't think they had bags in 41? But I have seen the first coach bag ever made and it's stunning, I'd love to have one now. It was a messenger, slouchy with a flap, tan and super sturdy. I follow Coach on twitter and they actually posted a picture of it when the writer went to the coach museum. It's not like people can visit but the owners all have one bag of every bag ever made in stock in this "museum"

Attachments

• archived materials2010.jpg
    archived materials2010.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 6,219
  • coach archive2010.jpg
    coach archive2010.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 5,977
  • embossing2010.jpg
    embossing2010.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 6,151
  • first coach bag.jpg
    first coach bag.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 7,699
Thanks for sharing the info ladies! I had thought that Coach was making bags since 1941!
I remember those pics from a while back--thanks for posting them Hyacinth. I'd pay admission to visit that "museum"

Oh to get into that museum! Do they need any cleaning staff I wonder...:biggrin:

Coach didn't start making handbags until about 1960. Before that they just made leather accessories. The "original Coach bag" was a Classic Pouch/Classic Shoulder Bag style 9170, one was just authenticated here:
http://forum.purseblog.com/coach-shopping/authenticate-this-coach-694619-175.html#post20024240

Below is a link with a few photos of the (now cleaner) 60s Classic Pouch that Hyacinth ID'd and auth'd for me -- the bag was originally very dusty/dirty - and looked dark gray, cleaning revealed that it is actually a very lovely Navy Blue! The bag has been conditioned, and is pretty much good to go for another 40+ years, I am having the tiny worn spots by straps repaired to help keep them from getting any worse.. Note the logo imprint inside (contrast is set high so ignore the weird colors/splotchies) - no creed - this was the first Coach I had seen like this, so I thought "faux" and it almost went into the parts bag!

http://photobucket.com/cleanpouch

Last edited:
Oh to get into that museum! Do they need any cleaning staff I wonder...:biggrin:

Below is a link with a few photos of the (now cleaner) 60s Classic Pouch that Hyacinth ID'd and auth'd for me -- the bag was originally very dusty/dirty - and looked dark gray, cleaning revealed that it is actually a very lovely Navy Blue! The bag has been conditioned, and is pretty much good to go for another 40+ years, I am having the tiny worn spots by straps repaired to help keep them from getting any worse.. Note the logo imprint inside (contrast is set high so ignore the weird colors/splotchies) - no creed - this was the first Coach I had seen like this, so I thought "faux" and it almost went into the parts bag!

http://photobucket.com/cleanpouch

I love it! What a timeless classic bag--and navy too! FAbulous rehab job. Thanks so much for sharing it!