Workplace Some resume help please :)

KarraAnn

Mrs. KarraAnn!
Feb 10, 2009
I am applying for a receptionist position at a hair salon. The duties include answerin phone, keeping salon clean, selling products, and making appointments. I haven't updated my resume in a while, so I can't remember all of the rules. I know I have to keep it to 1 page so I am not sure which job/education to omit. My resume leaves room for 2 educations and 2 jobs I think. Here is my history, will you please let me know which ones I am supposed to leave in?

Education:

"my high school"
Sept 2004-may 2008

Davenport university (I did not finish/obtain a degree here)
Jan 2008- december 2008

Douglas j aveda institute of cosmetology
March 2011- present

Work

Subway
March 2006-aug 2010

Express
Oct 2008-dec 2010

Jos a bank clothiers
Dec 2010-march 2010<<my sister told me you have to be somewhere a year to put it on your resume?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks so much :smile:

What else is on your resume that would push it over one page? You could leave off the last job since you were there for such a short time, but you definitely do not have to be at a job for one year + to put it on your resume.

Yeah, leave off the last job. I am on the occasional hiring committee, and a short, choppy job history, like what the last one portrays, is a big red flag.

Thanks again :smile: I was kind of thinking about having her ask "what were you doing during this period of time?" and I can answer that I worked there for a short period of time before school and there wasn't room to include on my resume rather then "why did you work here for such a short amount of time?" (answer being I hated it! I obviously wouldn't put it that way tho. Lol)

I would take off your HS info. If you've attended college, the person interviewing you knows you graduated from HS.

I also don't agree with your sister, you do not need to be at a job for a year to put it on your resume.

If you'd like to PM me, I can send you my email address if you'd like me to help you with your resume further. I've looked at many people's resumes here on tPF. It's a free service! ;)

I think for someone the OP's age and the type of employers she will be interviewing with, completion of high school is really relevant. Having a college education or coursework completed is not indicative of graduating from high school. Successful completion of the GED can earn one a state's dept of ed "diploma" and that would be sufficient for some schools, but not all. For a lot of employers looking for younger/youngish employees, a lack of a high school dimploma could be the kiss of death and shows lacks of motivation.

gsmom, interesting about your HS comment. I never would have thought that you could attend college without graduating HS.

I know. I would never know it if not for working on a college campus. There are all kinds of diplomas, special and otherwise, out there now that are accredited and college admission worthy. Probably not Top 10 worthy, but, yeah...it would work for a lot of schools. Not to say that this is the OP's case at all...but I wonder if employers looking at applicants her age consider it.