I think I finally conquered the premier designer disease!

fashion16

O.G.
Apr 15, 2007
I don't know how I did it but I think I conquered the premier designer disease! In the past, I would not look at non premiere designer bags. If I saw a bag that I thought was just "ho-hum" and I then later found out it was YSL, I suddenly loved it. Conversely, if I saw a bag that looked like a Bottega V. and I thought it was beautiful but once I realized it was Cole Haan, I was like, Eh, Blah! I have been trying to get over this disease of "snobbery" and shallow, designer focused taste. Recently, I found out I am getting a decent bonus from work. When I found out, I started looking for bags by YSL, Marc Jacobs, Miu Miu, Prada, LV etc around the $1500 mark. I then found out that I owed quite a bit on my income taxes when I was expecting a refund so my budget got cut...by like 75%.:shocked:
I began looking for bags in the $400 or less category (used through Fashionphile, ebay, Ann's Fabulous Finds etc) and realized that while I did find a MJ and LV within that budget, I was actually more attracted to a Michael Kors bag that I found. MK is not a premiere designer but I actually was more attracted to the looks of that bag than to the designer ones that I would have previously preferred. When I was faced with the option of buying 2 bags, one that was only so-so in style but had a BIG designer name on it or a lesser designer bag with HUGE chic style panache, I decided on the Michael Kors. I don't know how I broke free of this "elitist" mindset (and I will admit, that is exactly what it was) to being more true to what I thought was stylish, not about the name on the bag. Have you ever experienced this type of transformation? What situation made you see the error of your ways and bring you back to style rather than name?

Fashion16, I had a 'eureka' experience about two weeks ago. Until then, I would turn my nose up at most things that weren't Prada, Bal, Burberry, Marc Jacobs, Gucci, etc. I tried to kick this snobbery by buying a Lucky Brand to bring on holiday, and a few other very modestly-priced brands. But though the spirit was willing, the flesh was weak! I hardly ever wore these bags and quickly reverted to type. Fast forward to two weeks back...While obsessing over a Mulberry Alexa I spotted a much cheaper leather satchel in the same store. Anxious to kick my bag snobbery I bought it and loved it...told myself it was a nostalgic purchase that reminded me of the store where I bought my first trendy outfit..loved that bag...for nearly a week. I have now decided to sell it. It's quite heavy and clunky cross-body and does not look like £1000 worth of bag (which of course it isn't). Today I stuffed it peevishly on a shelf and switched into my Bal Twiggy. I blame all this on the weekend job I had as a teenage schoolgirl, in a designer bag factory. Luckily for my bank account I have never paid full retail for a premier designer bag. The truth is, I just prefer Premier and need to face up to it! But I now reach for my wallet less often! So I DID see the error of my ways. For a little while! The great thing is though, I now dream of Gerard Darel more than Chanell!

^^^AMEN!!! Congrats and you didn't even needs a Rx!

I've had similar stories but will disclose later..too busy right now but just HAD to post that I totally know where you're coming from.

I'm not broken, just more cautious about my purchases. I'm getting there and I know it's a work in progress.

Glad someone else feels this way - hopefully others will chime in as well.

High five to you!! ;)

I think I'm on the right track as I bought a Treesje recently instead of a Bal City. Actually, 'eureka' moments should not surprise us. Premier designers aren't all they've been cracked up to be. When I was in Harrods, London a couple of years ago, and then Cannes for the film festival, I was surprisingly underwhelmed by premier designer brands at boutique hotel shops. Corners are definitely being cut and quality control is suffering. Why should we pay for or even desire these things?

fashion16 I think this is wonderful!!! I can honestly say that out of all my bags, two are premier designer. They have no disclosure to them and go unnoticed so I did not buy them mainly for their designer name. One is my workhorse Gucci, the other I am contemplating selling due to its sensitivity to the elements. All my others are anywhere from unknowns to Banana Republic.

I do agree with your analysis. There are two schools of thought which keep in mind, fuels the handbag companies! (Big time!) I have a friend who manufacturers fine leather belts right here in the USA and not abroad and while she will travel a few times a year to Italy and France, she will not spend over $600 for a handbag no matter what. She does buy her clothes abroad and they are magnificent but when it comes to fine leathers, she will tell you it is all in the marketing and does not warrant the price it goes for. I have a SIL who will only buy a bag that has a monogram on it, because she has to prove to the world she can afford it. Truth is she can and still has NOT detected that my bag is a Gucci. I bought my Gucci and YSL for their style. It was love over detailing, etc. and not necessarily the name. It's kinda my little secret that no one knows what I am carrying and personally, I like it that way! If I could afford it, I would buy the Hermes Massai. I find that bag simplisticly beautiful! (Also no name whatsoever on the bag!) I guess I am the exception to the rule. I go out of my way to wear bags that are undetectable!

... I don't know how I broke free of this "elitist" mindset (and I will admit, that is exactly what it was) to being more true to what I thought was stylish, not about the name on the bag. Have you ever experienced this type of transformation? What situation made you see the error of your ways and bring you back to style rather than name?

I used to be the same way. First it was LV, then Balenciaga, then some Chloe and Fendi dabbling, a bit of Dior, and even a little Hermes. However, the situation that changed it for me - and I suspect many others during the recession - was DH getting laid off two years ago. We've had to make major adjustments in order to live on one income, and super-pricey bags just aren't an option any more - although I'm still enjoying the ones I already had. Over the past couple of years I've tried out MBMJ, Longchamp and Cole Haan and really, genuinely like all three. And, you can sometimes get them on sale very reasonably. Things are picking up a bit workwise, but even when I can afford them again, I don't think I'll go back to really expensive bags. Well, maybe just once in a while... :graucho:

Love this thread! Agree with every post! My "eureka" moment happened when I found a very unique beaded no-name bag on vacation, wore it once, and received more compliments than I'd received on any designer bag. I'd definitely go with a premiere bag - say Tods, Hermes, etc. - for a classic that I'll wear a lifetime if it was important to me. But for the seasonal shapes, workhorse bags, bright colors, etc. - I'm all about Dooney, Coach, Treesje, Cole Haan, Kors, MBMJ, etc. I'm consistently blown away by Lockheart bags these days. And there is NOTHING as exciting as finding an amazing new bag that catches everyone's eye from a designer that no one knows about.

Oh I can so relate to you in a way, OP! by the way, congrats, transormations are always really cool!! Now you have more "choice" in the matter, you're not driven to like the premiers just from habit. kwim?

I had a little bit of the same thing happen to me. What did it for me was COST.
I looked at what I spent. And would CONTINUE to spend if something didn't change.
I looked at the total sum of what I spent (OUCH)..

After that, I wanted a few bags here and there, and banned myself from spending thousands on another single bag. So I tried spending like $100. It was really cool.
I looked at lots of pics on the internet, on here, and on random blogs. I saw some really stylish little bags that were way cheaper than what I was spending.

I ended up buying a few... one memorable one is a preowned little Botkier.... I love it! It's really cute...and coming from someone that was only buying new Chanels there for a while, this is good! I spent less than 100 on it... have no guilt now whatsoever, and aren't worried if I get tons and tons of use out of it, lol.

Yeah, I guess for me the spark was just the dollars. Also, thinking about excess...and thinking about all the things that could be bought with the money....trips around the world, a car? etc etc!!

Im also selling a few :smile:

^I so hear you! When I realized I could renovate my powder room AND take a 5-day all-inclusive trip to Mexico for the cost of ONE bag that I had my eye on .... :nogood: Time to slow down. :smile:

OMG! It just happened to me yesterday when I saw this beautiful DKNY bag! I always thought for a 300 Euros bag I could add another 200 and get a Prada bag from Ebay. But when I saw that bag I was like, I HAVE TO HAVE IT. I took it home with me today and I can't be happier!

Hah, I totally understand the liking of a mediocre bag for the name! I used to frequently see bags I didn't like so much and suddenly love them because they were by a brand I liked. Bad Krinkles! Bad Krinkles!
I also used to regularly camp out on designer reseller websites and suddenly fall in love with average bags just because they were relatively cheap and were a name. :whistle:

OMG! It just happened to me yesterday when I saw this beautiful DKNY bag! I always thought for a 300 Euros bag I could add another 200 and get a Prada bag from Ebay. But when I saw that bag I was like, I HAVE TO HAVE IT. I took it home with me today and I can't be happier!

I saw a beautiful DKNY bag a couple of weeks ago, for 250 euros! It was a black quilted satchel. I looked at it and thought, 'But if I added another 500 or so I could get a Mulberry Alexa.' By the time I'd decided to go back to the store and pick it up, it was gone! Because I'm officially on a bag ban I ended up getting a store-brand satchel for 115 euros.

I was actually more attracted to a Michael Kors bag that I found. MK is not a premiere designer but I actually was more attracted to the looks of that bag than to the designer ones that I would have previously preferred. When I was faced with the option of buying 2 bags, one that was only so-so in style but had a BIG designer name on it or a lesser designer bag with HUGE chic style panache, I decided on the Michael Kors. I don't know how I broke free of this "elitist" mindset (and I will admit, that is exactly what it was) to being more true to what I thought was stylish, not about the name on the bag. Have you ever experienced this type of transformation? What situation made you see the error of your ways and bring you back to style rather than name?

You can see my screen name and know my main interest. Between finally realizing how stupid it is to spend so much on a bag and having my income permanently reduced (retirement), I'm right there with you. Say hello to my newest MbyMK.

179642_1566563529971_1411898213_31274243_7286407_n.jpg

Got this for spring/summer this year. The leather is very yummy.

By the by, Michael Kors DOES have a premier Made in Italy handbag line and it's rather pricey. I had one of them. It was positively decadent, but in the end, it wasn't quite for me, so I sold it. ;)

I have to say, although, I do prefer premium designer/brand... I am none discriminatory on the brand. Of course, I tend to purchase less "none premium brand" if I am saving for a premium handbag.

I just bought a few Kipling bags and total been using them. I use the Kipling bags during the day with my kids and I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them. I wear them with the same pride as I wear my designer bags.