Shipping 1k handbag without insurance internationally to avoid customs?

I would not do it! :sad:
You can state on the custom forms that the item is a gift and state the value. Buy the insurance and don't make the same mistake and ship Global Express Mail. (no tracking capabilities)

A lot of people request it so that it helps with Customs. As if you declare a gift then the person at the other end does not need to pay taxes. It is up to you - a lot of sellers wont do it as they feel vulnerable if the item gets lost and you are not insured for the right amount.

It's a personal choice.

Good luck

I've done this before, but I ask them to send me a statement in an email first to state that they are declining insurance and that if lost, they have total resposibility.

No way would I do that-period. As a seller, the ultimate responsibility for assuring the item gets where it's going is up to you-in terms of how it is initially sent; since I have had people whine about a $30 item (which I insured and later mysteriously showed up), unless you have an extra $1K to repay the buyer, send that package with insured tracking-you do have options! Let us know what you decide to do!

I've done this before, but I ask them to send me a statement in an email first to state that they are declining insurance and that if lost, they have total resposibility.

Which country is it?
FYI I sold a BV bag through eBay to a Greece resident. I purchased insurance and sent it air.

That was early September.

My customer JUST RECEIVED notification from customs that the bag was there and she owed $148.00 in custom and duty fees!!!!!!!!!

She informed me that if I sent it uninsured she would have received it in 2 weeks at the most.

This was after several trackings/ insurance claims, etc.

This was on a pre-owned handbag I sold for 450.00.

SHe told me she didn't want the handbag after having to pay an additional 148.00 so I asked her to return the item. The Greece customs people told her she would still have to pay the 148.00 to return the handbag to me!!!

We negotiated , but I could have sold it to someone else locally for 430.00 (The next bidder)

A learning experience!

Hope this helps!

I do it all the time, declare a low value & as a gift, buyer never had to pay duty but I am still able to get 500 insurance with special next day delivery. I tell buyers I cannot be responsible for anymore

i wouldn't. i haven't shipped anything worth more than $250 internationally, though. i don't sell on ebay much, but i when i do, i usually only allow US bidders. i'm always afraid something could go wrong, and i'd be out a lot of money.