Shining Monkey vs. Appleguard

Cool! Thanks so much!!! I got my can a while back, but it's taken a while to get around (up the courage) to spray my more expensive bags :shame: .

I know this post was from many moons ago, but for anyone now reading, don't worry about using SM on your LV! Hell, I started right away on the vachetta bottom of my Cabas Piano :graucho: ...everyone's favorite vulnerable spot. I focus on the vachetta with a quick sweeping motion and if it gets on the canvas, no harm done. Just give it good air circulation to dry.

I bought my SM off amazon.com.

I plan to get the shining monkey spray and use it, but should I be getting some kind of conditioner as well? If I do get a conditioner am I supposed to use it before spraying on the repellant?

HELP! what should i get the apple leather - rain and stain repellent? or the leather protector? I've checked the site at leatherstuff.com but i don't know which product to get. hope anyone can help me.. I'm just going to ask my friend to get it for me in the states. thanks so much!

Out of curiosity (and because I don't want to start a whole new thread for this), has anyone had problems with their appleguard "staining" their bags? I'm asking because I have one bag that got these strange mottled spots soon after I applied it. I didn't know if it was because of appleguard, the bag itself, or maybe some water got on it, etc. Any ideas?

I've used SM on my LV bags with the vachetta trim and its worked great.. I haven't since a water stain since using it. I also really like AppleGard.. it gave my Bal bag a real nice shine to the leather, plus it had a pleasant scent.

I've used Shining Monkey and Appleguard conditioner on my LV.
Shining Monkey dries almost immediately without changing the color of vachetta so as Appleguard conditioner. However, in my experience, Shining Monkey doesn't protect my vachetta from getting dirty so as Appleguard. I also noticed that the patina on my LV sprayed with Shining Monkey is not turning into a golden patina rather grayish--no it's not dirt because I'm not using the bag. If I could go back, I won't spray my vachetta with any water repellant. But I will condition it with Appleguard and have a bit of patina. Somehow the patina helps repel dirt. This is just my experience with both products and I'm aware that many people love Shining Monkey--just wished it worked for me.

Sorry guys, just getting in here. I just bought a papillon on ebay with filthy handles. Do I do the cleaner first, then the conditioner, then the garde, OR just the cleaner and garde? I dont want it to get dried out. Also, is there anything I can do to clean it temporarily until my order comes in so that I can start to carry it right away?