Holy Bra Fitting shocker

Another former 36C wearer here. Nordstrom bra fitters are awesome!

+1 to whoever said that VS puts everyone in a 34/36 C because they have a ton of things in those sizes and they are easy to digest. I was stunned when my fitter recommended 32DD. At first I thought that DD was just so ridiculously huge for my small/average frame but when you think about how the cup sizes and band sizes aren't exactly mix & match (28D is not the same sized breast as 38D) it makes a little more sense.

I am curious: I am a 34D / 36C and I simply cannot close a size 32 band on my ribcage. How did you manage to wear a size 36?

p-WA

I've been wearing a 16D/DD (38D/DD) for years, I got fitted last years and it turns out I'm a 14E/F (36/DDD/E/F). My bras fit so much better now. The only problem is that 14E's are really hard to find, especially at reasonable prices.

After realizing I was a 28F, I no longer try to find bras at reasonable prices because there aren't any!!! :lol: I pay anywhere between $100 to $200 for a bra since I usually have to get the boutique to order this specialty size in.

Another former 36C wearer here. Nordstrom bra fitters are awesome!

+1 to whoever said that VS puts everyone in a 34/36 C because they have a ton of things in those sizes and they are easy to digest. I was stunned when my fitter recommended 32DD. At first I thought that DD was just so ridiculously huge for my small/average frame but when you think about how the cup sizes and band sizes aren't exactly mix & match (28D is not the same sized breast as 38D) it makes a little more sense.

After losing 35 lbs. I was recently fitted at a VS store and they put me in a 36D, so, they don't try to put everyone in a 34/36 C.

To double check, I also got fitted at a local specialized bra store, she also said I was a 36D, but, a local specialized bra store is always the best bet

Last edited:
I have a feeling that if the majority of women knew what size they truly wore, a lot of the lingerie stores (like Victoria's Secret) and places like Target would end up losing a lot of business real quick because the readily available sizes they carry stop at a D or DD. I thought I was 34DD for the longest time but nope, I'm like a 34E/F/G, depends on the brand. I was really in denial of what size I was because honestly, it's really hard to find my size. It wasn't until I went to a Nordstrom Rack, where they had a large selection of larger cup sizes for me to play around with, when I found out what size I truly am. The lingerie buyers at other stores really need to take some lessons from the lingerie buyers over at Nordies, I'm noticing from this thread!

^Actually I still can't do Nordies (though their SAs are very knowledgeable) - I would love too but even the SA's told me my size is difficult to find (28F). I only buy my bras at this one local specialty lingerie shop and they are amazing - though really pricey and they usually have to be ordered in.

I think places like Victoria Secret are only good for women who are fortunate enough to fall within those popular sizes which I totally wish I was, then I can buy cheaper bras! lol

^Actually I still can't do Nordies (though their SAs are very knowledgeable) - I would love too but even the SA's told me my size is difficult to find (28F). I only buy my bras at this one local specialty lingerie shop and they are amazing - though really pricey and they usually have to be ordered in.

I think places like Victoria Secret are only good for women who are fortunate enough to fall within those popular sizes which I totally wish I was, then I can buy cheaper bras! lol

Yeah 28F is DEFINITELY a rare size. I'm lucky to at least have a common band size. But I still never actually use the SA's when shopping. I think the way I hold myself, I actually look smaller than I am and they never seem to get the right size for me. I'm just better off and save a lot more time by taking a whole load of sizes into the room and going through all of them myself.

I had been wearing the wrong band size the whole time. I was wearing 32 and 34 bands and in fact I need a 30 band...the problem with that is SO hard to find a 30 F/G bra and ones that aren't over $100 each BLAH!

The same thing happened to em as well. I thought I wore a 34DD, but Vickis kept tying to put me in a 36 but it was too large around, so I went to Nordies and I was a 32G. Seriously, the 32G changed my clothing life! lol

When u wear bras, how does the band feel? I got measured this past weekend at Nordies and was told I was a 32DDD (have been wearing 36C all my life)...but the band makes marks on my body and hurt a little bit while wearing.

Sales ppl at Nordie said it is normal as the band will strech out. Was it normal to let my body strech out the bra like a pair of new shoes?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Bands do stretch out, but if it really is too tight, you can get an extended. Also, u and the sales people have to keep in mind that different brands also differ in sizing, so just because the sales person measured u to be one size doesn't necessarily mean that that is your size in the brand, u should still try it on.

Oh and I see that a lot of people here are like 32g, f, 34 ddd, etc. If any of u have an off fifth near you, u can find really pretty bras for cheap. Since not too may people purchase those at the department store, so they can transferred over.

One of the specialty stores I went to recommend that your bra should leave marks with the first few wears before you actually "break them in" so to speak. Like popper mentioned an extender should help but they shouldn't be that tight to start with.

I recently went through the fitting process and discovered that I was wearing band sizes that were too large and cup sizes that were too small. I am so glad that I got fit because my clothes look better now with properly-sized undergarments.

I noticed the same issue about the band feeling a bit tight and leaving a mark. Two different fitters told me that most of the support comes from the band (but that they do stretch) and that people who've been wearing too large a size usually feel weird at first. They also noted that wearing a tighter band is critical for bustier ladies to get adequate support (no droopy boobies!!).