Do you have to have a lot of money to carry a birkins?

PurseFanatic said:
Please forgive me for my ignorance, I'm new to Birkin, which style is 10K?

I think some of the ladies here were speaking of bags bought in Asia, perhaps? There a Birkin could be $10K in USD.
A Birkin in basic leather will hover around $6-$7.5K

I think you don't have to have a lot of money to carry such a bag. If you got spare finances and if you've achieved your goal in education , you should buy yourself a Birkin, think it as a reward you deserve it.

for those who have birkins... have you gotten special attention for carrying a birkin?
also, if a 20something year old is carrying a birkin... would the reaction be "wow" or would it be "did she sell everything she owned to carry a birkin?"

saraNY said:
also, if a 20something year old is carrying a birkin... would the reaction be "wow" or would it be "did she sell everything she owned to carry a birkin?"
If I saw a young 'un wih a Birkin I'd think she had money - especially if her clothes and grooming suggested the same. I'm not even talking obviously expensive clothes. You could be dressed in something like skinny jeans, a white T-shirt, cute flats and a Birkin and look fabulous!

Someone else was asking about being too old for a Birkin...I don't think there's such a thing. It's been a high-status, high-ticket bag for so long, that I'd fully expect to see 80 year-old ladies with them - and looking spectacular too! You can look great at any age, and you can carry great accessories at any age. I certainly intend to both look and *be* fabulous when I'm older. If I'm lucky I'll be rockin' a Birkin along with my cane. :lol:

foxmonkey said:
Someone else was asking about being too old for a Birkin...I don't think there's such a thing. I certainly intend to both look and *be* fabulous when I'm older. If I'm lucky I'll be rockin' a Birkin along with my cane. :lol:

Amen and hallelujah to that!

I don't think it matters what age you are in carrying a Birkin. It is all about how you carry yourself. I did comment before myself about what age is "old" when everyone was chatting. It was more in reference to choosing a color, but by no means was I saying there is an age at which you can't carry a Birkin. I was questioning if certain colors might not be the best for a certain age etc.

Kellybag said:
I don't think it matters what age you are in carrying a Birkin. It is all about how you carry yourself. I did comment before myself about what age is "old" when everyone was chatting. It was more in reference to choosing a color, but by no means was I saying there is an age at which you can't carry a Birkin. I was questioning if certain colors might not be the best for a certain age etc.
Sorry that I misunderstood you! :amuse:

saraNY said:
for those who have birkins... have you gotten special attention for carrying a birkin?
Hi Sara, somehow I do find that I get better service when I wear my Birkin, especially in restaurants, hotels and boutiques.

There've been a few times when I was at restaurants, the waiter actually brought me a chair for my Birkin without me asking. To be honest I wouldn't have mind & was prepared to leave it on the floor...so it was really nice! :smile: I also found that I get more attentive service when I'm at the high-end boutiques like Prada, YSL, Celine, Fendi etc.

But then, I once got tons of compliments from other customers & the SAs when I was in Chanel...& I was wearing my dark brown Fendi Spy! :lol:

saraNY said:
Those who sell everything just to get a birkin is stupid. ;) 20 year olds are also rich...u noe.

I would really think about how you come across with a Birkin which is really playing in the big leagues. For example, how is a future boyfriend's family going to judge you? If you take it to a job interviewer, how will you come off? Yeah, we can all say it's wrong to judge people by what they own, what they look like, but what people choose to put their money in says a lot about them.

In my opinion, you should own a Birkin if you want one. You gave two good reasons: you work hard, and it won't put you in debt. That's fine, some people drive nice cars, some people buy purses, some are able to do both. Just the age thing makes me hesitate personally, and makes me encourage other 20-somethings to think twice. I guess because I know I'm going to be in a field where I'm constantly judged by things like this, I don't want to step on any toes with seeming privileged to a fault.

This is just my opinion on the matter, I don't mean to make anyone feel bad for owning a Birkin. Hell, I want one! I just don't know that I'd have the attitude to pull it off at age 21.

I just wanted to add, I grew up where designer everything is the norm. It wasn't until I went to college that I realized designer goods, be it a bag or a car, really do gall some people. Maybe I'm self-conscious, but I don't like my goods to inspire other people to question my background. "Is her Birkin real?" "She must have a trust fund or a rich boyfriend paying for that?"

It definitely depends on what kind of community you live in, your job, etc. There's something to be said for having a feel for what's appropriate to your lifestyle -- nobody can make that call but you.

I agree. I have friends who think anything in the 3 digits is a crazy amount to pay for a bag. I also have friends whose bags are all designer. It really depends on what lifestyle you're used to.

This is such a wild topic when I sit and think about it. I could go both ways and I love Hermes!

I feel it has a lot to do with how you are raised and what is instilled in you. My family is old school Italian and their mentality is simple things in life...family, food, religion, friends are most important. The save your money is the best way and always have it for a rainy day. I do agree with that, but I have a part of me that LOVES HERMES and wants to spend the money on their products.

I don't really have the income level in my opinion that I should have to be purchasing Birkin/Kelly bags. I truly feel you really need to make a high income for these goods. I just make smart investments and choices which allow me these luxuries. Now, there are many people I know that don't make choices like this and they buy these goods and they are hanging by a thread in life.

I have no problem with any age buying these fine Hermes products, but I do know from experience, in my adult life, that most people I have encounterd they just buy, don't think, and don't have the money. That is where I find it sad. They appear they have lots of money to others who see them, but all they have is in their closet. That scares me.

I wish people on a whole would think a bit more before they buy. I do see so many people where I live they have these expensive bags, but their shoes are dead giveaways they have no money. You can also tell by the rest of how they are dressed.

So, you DON'T need a lot of money to carry a Birkin, but you do have to think about how you carry yourself and what you wear if you are going to carry a $7,000 and up bag. It can look all wrong. Look clean, polished, hair in order, nice quality jewelry...everything doesn't need to be designer or high end, but clean and nice.

I saw a lady carry a beautiful Birkin and she got in a car that looked like she couldn't make it another 50 miles. I shake my head and I feel that is foolish. Is it the media that draws her to this? Does it make her feel better? Why would she not put that money toward a new vehicle?

OK...I need to be quite!!! I rambled

i do not think its sane to safrice that much for a purse, if u want designer there are a lot of even cheaper brands like Dooney& bourke and Coach even LV ( i have a sologne which costs bout 600 dollars). And 1 thing bout the girls like Lindsey Lohan, nicole richie etc... not all of them BUY those bagsm a lot of celebrities get free hand outs from brands cus if those girls are seen wearing a certain brands name it gives the company a certain boost. i would not recommend buying a 10k purse. i kno this 1 woman who looks a million dollars each time she goes out even tho she is literally living pay check by paycheck. its not only her style, its also her personality that makes her worth.