Do you have to have a lot of money to carry a birkins?

gigi leung

O.G.
Feb 14, 2006
pursemama said:
No, not necessarily. If you can afford it and it won't put you in debt, go for it! ....if you could afford to buy a Birkin on your own without asking daddy or mommy for the money that is successful to me!
I totally agree! :biggrin:

Kellybag

O.G.
Mar 9, 2006
Help me out here...what is age OLD? I am thinking about buying an orange potiron Birkin, but that "old" comment above hit home a bit. I am not old enough to be your mother, but I am getting up there.

At what age are you too old for and orange or red Birkin? Do you think an older woman should stay with a classic color?

As for spending your money on a Birkin....I was raised so conservative you would never spend that kind of money on a bag. However, I see it differently no matter what people think. Someone will always have an opinion. It could be jealousy or it just might be they think you could have made a wiser purchase with your money. That is where you have to make the choice that fits you and that you can be at peace with. IT is all about being an adult.

IFFAH

"..."
Jan 22, 2006
Kellybag said:
Help me out here...what is age OLD? I am thinking about buying an orange potiron Birkin, but that "old" comment above hit home a bit. I am not old enough to be your mother, but I am getting up there.

At what age are you too old for and orange or red Birkin? Do you think an older woman should stay with a classic color?
There's no age limit as to carrying a bright colour birkin. Whatever colour of birkin you made, make sure it's something that you love it. Recently at a party, I've seen a middle-aged lady.....[she's still sexy......] carrying a Red birkin. She looks so classy and fantastic with her black top and jeans together with, a scarf tied around her neck.:idea:

Kellybag

O.G.
Mar 9, 2006
You know what...you are all so sweet. I never felt old, but I know I am not young anymore. Everyone seems like a young lady to me and I know in a few years my youthful look will be gone. It is tough. You never want to think you will get old or it will catch up to your outward appearance, but it does and it happens ever so fast.
Have fun...treasure your youth and your beauty now because time does move fast and I can't believe how it did for me!

I still think a color Birkin is topping my list unless a neutral gets in my hands first and it makes my heart pitter patter.

IFFAH

"..."
Jan 22, 2006
Kellybag.......what you're saying will happen to me in the future. I'm scared of losing my youthful look.......can't imagine how is it like having wrinkles. However...u noe what, that's life. I can't hope to be looking like some hot 20 year old chick when I'm 60. But there's one thing she can't win me which you can't win me and the rest of the girls......your experiences in life. You definitely have experienced marriage life, going through pregnancy, realities of life and many else.........I've yet to experience all those things.

I'm glad that you've never felt old. It's important.....some people can do all the plastic surgeries that they want to, but if they don't feel young and happiness in their life, nothing in this world will satisfy them. I believe you must have had a happy life and that's why you've never felt old.

Remember.....nothing in this world not even millions of dollars can buy you happiness.

Kellybag

O.G.
Mar 9, 2006
True enough IFFAH...nothing can buy you happiness.

Look, what is so neat is I am nearly twice the age of some ladies on here, but I enjoy the same things that you all do. So, that should tell you that in a way we never really get old. I am sure you all would really enjoy my company and we would have so much fun together. I do have a great deal of experience in life and the is the most wonderful part of getting old. You always wish you knew what you know now way back when you were 18-20. It does pay to respect your elders and find someone you enjoy spending time with. They can really teach you alot.

I need to post a pic of myself. Hee hee

gigi leung

O.G.
Feb 14, 2006
Kellybag said:

KB, I agree with IFFAH that there's no age limit to wearing a bright color Birkin. I think a lot depends on how you dress and how you carry yourself. If it makes you feel better, I'm not that young, I'm a mother of two and I carry a Potiron Kelly! :lol: Anyway, my point is..if a woman has no sense of style, a colored Birkin would not look good on them even if they're younger.

gigi leung

O.G.
Feb 14, 2006
IFFAH said:
Kellybag.......what you're saying will happen to me in the future. I'm scared of losing my youthful look.......can't imagine how is it like having wrinkles. However...u noe what, that's life. I can't hope to be looking like some hot 20 year old chick when I'm 60. But there's one thing she can't win me which you can't win me and the rest of the girls......your experiences in life. You definitely have experienced marriage life, going through pregnancy, realities of life and many else.........I've yet to experience all those things.

I'm glad that you've never felt old. It's important.....some people can do all the plastic surgeries that they want to, but if they don't feel young and happiness in their life, nothing in this world will satisfy them. I believe you must have had a happy life and that's why you've never felt old.

Remember.....nothing in this world not even millions of dollars can buy you happiness.
Well said IFFAH!!! :amuse:

kitskats

bizzy making jools
O.G.
Jan 17, 2006
USA
I'm very young in spirit but also I'm closer to twice the age of many of the fantastic women on this board. I got such great encouragement on my recent thread (link at bottom) "My Hermes handbag and er, not high end lifestyle"

My basic casual (jeans) style will not change when I've finally got my dream bag, and I think the bag will inspire me to emulate at least a bit more fashionable look with my basics, put a little more thought into the outfit while staying true to myself. You know, wear these scarves or jewelry I have that will accent the outfit, not just dash out the door. Not a bad thing, huh? ;)

I was in Hermes a nearby city for the first time last week (*swoon*) and I strolled in like I belonged there. I think I do. Me, in my black jersey and jeans: a fleece jacket and my funky comfortable shoes, carrying my beloved Chanel tote. To be honest I looked casual and average, not like a wealthy suburbanite. But I don't care! I was greeted and treated nicely and that left an impression.

We deserve nice things. And this is right up there on the top of the list!:love: I'm getting mine while I still have plenty of time to enjoy. I don't have excess funds, as in don't have a lot of $ but this bag is doable and an investment for me.

http://tinyurl.com/ly2wx

shu

O.G.
Jan 17, 2006
Yes, I agree. What's the point of saving up all your life if you don't have time to enjoy what your hard work is able to get you? Yes, it's wise to save up and not go into debt. And if that's not going to be a problem, I say buy what you want when you still have time to enjoy it and make it look good!

With that said, I personally prefer the orange birkin because 1. it's signature Hermes and 2. it's a bright, fun color that will also go with lots of different clothing. But maybe I'm just in the orange phase haha. Other than that, I would choose basic black even though I prefer the white (but that's way too expensive a bag to get dirty). And I also LOOOOOOOOVE deerskin. It's very delicate though...I already got a rub on my Prada wallet, so now it's in retirement for the moment until I can get a leather protectant. Does Hermes do deerskin or just goatskin and calfskin (no exotics)?

I'm 21 (or will be on Sunday :biggrin:) and my current view is that the first year I'm working, there will be NO saving. You're finally earning your own money, enjoy what it can get you! Then after that high, I'll save. But you'll always have something that looks good and is sophisticated.

GIAGIAJA

Mar 9, 2006
You could think of yourself as a successful Salesperson too!

Pleaseeeeeee..e... Get it if you wanted it for a while.

We only live once.

La Vanguardia

PAPER DOLL
O.G.
Dec 21, 2005
Kellybag said:

As for spending your money on a Birkin....I was raised so conservative you would never spend that kind of money on a bag. However, I see it differently no matter what people think. Someone will always have an opinion. It could be jealousy or it just might be they think you could have made a wiser purchase with your money. That is where you have to make the choice that fits you and that you can be at peace with. IT is all about being an adult.
Kelly - you're never too old to carry a colored bag and I think it even spices up your outfit a bit. What's important is how you feel, your happiness and your confidence!

Greentea

O.G.
Feb 28, 2006
at the bottom of a cup of Jasmine Pearl
Great thread! I'm in my early thirties and plan to carry bright, beautifully colored bags (be they LV, Birkins, Kellys) until I can no longer wallk! hehe
I also enjoy my neutrals, but love statement colors, too. IMO, you need a healthy mix of both.
KellyB, Potiron is such a stunning, classy color. Full of life, too. I think carrying a bag like that would just keep a big smile on my face (sometimes a necessity when I'm dealing with my two lovely but active children!)

clanalois

i <3 bags
O.G.
Dec 29, 2005
New York City
I'm relatively young but I plan to get a Birkin as soon as I can so I can enjoy it for the majority of my life. I have decided against black. There is something about the bold, understated Hermes colors that really brings out the best in each skin...why hide it in black? (JMO of course)

I also agree with pursemama's statement...you can afford it if you don't go into debt. It is an investment -- excluding accidents, an Hermes will last through your life longer than any car or even home. You can pass it down. It is an investment, an heirloom. You can easily spend more on any car than on this beautiful bag.