NEWS~ Ebay to shut down Foreign sellers? Effects many mypoupette sellers...

let-trade has a website, though... we can still purchase that way instead of through ebay.

i wonder how long this will be in effect... i'm sure they'll eventually realize it's not going to stop the fakes altogether. i've seen so many fakes from the U.S.!

1) Sellers who list items that appear on eBay's list of items particularly susceptible to counterfeiting (which we'll herein call eBay's anti-counterfeiting list) must become PayPal verified. However, those sellers are not required to offer PayPal as a payment option in their listings.

2) eBay will conduct manual "seller reviews" for sellers who list items on its anti-counterfeiting list. eBay will not authenticate items, but will use various information to determine if sellers will be permitted to sell such items. eBay would not get specific about exactly what criteria they would consider during the review process, but said it would consider "a variety of factors."

3) eBay will ban 1-day and 3-day auctions of all items on its anti-counterfeiting list to give eBay members and rights-holders enough time to review items.

4) eBay will restrict cross-border trade on items on its anti-counterfeiting list. Sellers in the U.S., Germany and UK may ship such items worldwide except to Hong Kong and China. Sellers in English-speaking countries can trade such items freely with each other. But sellers in China and Hong Kong may not list these items on their local sites or on any other eBay site.

Good Morning All,

Clause 4 is the key point here for buyers. I list on the UK site as a UK resident and offer shipping to certain other countries. Per clause 4, I am still able to do that subject to clauses 1 to 3. What I cannot do is list on the US site which I very rarely do anyway and only have one item currently listed that way for more exposure. So if you still search for items that are "available to USA" instead of "located in USA" then the sellers you wish to purchase from will still be available to you. You will also still be able to access sellers that you have in favourites or searching "by seller" to check out what your favoured overseas sellers have available.

The China/Hong Kong based sellers are going to be put out of business on EBay I think. Let-Trade has its own website as many have said and mine will be back next year when it's been re-vamped behind the scenes.

My Poupette is already a VERO member and PayPal accept their authentication letters so, hopefully, their sellers will not be caught out under clause 2. But I guess that remains to be seen.

I have not yet seen this annoucement on the UK site but the UK site is rife with fakes also. It is nice to see positive steps being taken but I still think an LV VERO system would be the better way to go. Sounds like EBay is running a little scared to me.

If ebay refuses foreign sellers in the USA, just go to the ebay sites in France UK, Germany, I think most countries have there own ebay site. I always go to the local sites, because sometimes you can find real treasures there, elske 1952

elske, as long as you don't block sellers from other countries, you can still purchase from them on the US site. You just wont be able to purchase from any sellers from China/Hong Kong because they won't be allowed to sell anything designer on any eBay site.

i am also a seller in the UK and this is the first i have heard of this, having read through it thoroughly i agree with vernis-lover that you will still be able to access our items for sale quote (So if you still search for items that are "available to USA" instead of "located in USA" then the sellers you wish to purchase from will still be available to you. You will also still be able to access sellers that you have in favourites or searching "by seller" to check out what your favoured overseas sellers have available.) i think we wiill all have to wait and see how it will be implemented and if it will effect us in any way. At least its a start for e bay to weed quite a percentage of the counterfiet listers

scottie

I think a lot of people have been complaining that ebay doesn't have enough rules and this is a response to that (and of course the lawsuit). It may be eliminating some good sellers, but it will get rid of a lot of the counterfeiters as well (as pointed out above, not all). But, I think anything that ebay does to examine more carefully potential sellers is a good thing. I think it's better to have fewer sellers and to have a cleaner operation, which currently does not exist on ebay in the handbag area. I'm sure the legitimate sellers shut out will try an alternate venue--maybe their own websites.

Ebay is taking a step in the right direction. There are so many fakes comeing from outside the US. This will hurt the sale of sellers of authentic product as I personally like working within the protection of Ebay and Paypal. I'm not a big fan of personal websites selling LV or other authentic goods on a second hand basis. You'll note that Let-trade will list some things that were on his website on Ebay as per special requests because others want the Ebay protection also. I've never bought from them as I'm not much into the 2nd hand LV market after my disastous loss a few years ago, but they are fun to watch as they often have lots of neat things and I'm sure they are 100percent. We'll see how it all turns out.

I think a lot of people have been complaining that ebay doesn't have enough rules and this is a response to that (and of course the lawsuit). It may be eliminating some good sellers, but it will get rid of a lot of the counterfeiters as well (as pointed out above, not all). But, I think anything that ebay does to examine more carefully potential sellers is a good thing. I think it's better to have fewer sellers and to have a cleaner operation, which currently does not exist on ebay in the handbag area. I'm sure the legitimate sellers shut out will try an alternate venue--maybe their own websites.

Totally agree.:yes:

It's not just Ebay either..you've just got to check eBid and the likes....counterfeits are all over the d%@* place.:cursing:

Most originating from Hong King/China, whenever i've looked.
You know the ones - Buy it now for £50 and suchlike - the blatant fakes.
It seems as though Ebay is targetting the sellers who list hundreds of the same item over a short period of time.

Of course, there are fakes that are painted up to be genuine, all over the world, not just HK and China, but us, as consumers should always do our research.

The sooner this mess gets cleaned up, the better. A few may well suffer some losses in the process, but surely Ebay have to start somewhere...?

If Ebay did nothing, there too would be complaints about that, so i personally think this is a much needed, long-awaited, step in the right direction.:yes:

Point 2, according to EBay this morning, is going to be on a volume basis. Those historically consistent accounts should not suffer or be restricted but if your account activity for sales suddenly changes and 30 items that fall under the counterfeit policy suddenly appear then the account will be restricted. All manner of information will be examined such as listing with stock photos, listing with the same photographs, out of the ordinary activity etc etc etc - this team are going to be very busy indeed !! The hope, in the long run, is to reduce the number of fakes listed on the site considerably thus increasing confidence in buyers thus securing higher prices for sellers. I agree with the confidence but I can't see prices increasing.

3 of my 4 handbag purchases on eBay came from Europe. 2 from the UK and 1 from France. I guess I'll have to do more work now to find the auctions.

eBay pulled 5 of my authentic auctions because they were "suspicious" that I had so many purses listed. It was a Coach, Fendi, Chanel, and a few others. I thought I was safe because they all had their tags attached, 12 enlargable photos including date codes and holograms, and everything in the listing. They were all listed weeks apart and were all different brands. I have been fighting this or 6 weeks and haven't heard anything back. I think they are in particular targeting Chanel and LV sellers. I am definitely staying away from Chanel from now on. The funny thing is the Coach was used and had makeup stains on the inside and I was selling it for a reasonable price. Ebay must think a lot of people want makeup stained couterfit items.

I don't know how preventing sellers from Hong Kong/China to sell on eBay will prevent sellers from selling counterfeits though.
I haven't seen a lot of LV fakes originating from eBay sellers in China/HK, personally. Most of them are located in the USA.
The fakers in the US can just buy counterfeit bags from Hong Kong/China, and sell them on the eBay US website.

I think you're right!

While it will be unlikely to significantly impact the number of fraudulently labeled merchandise on eBay, it will definitely mean some nice revenue for a new tier of western middlemen, and increase the price to the consumer of both truthfully and fraudulently labeled merchandise, and be very pleasing to western entities who do not like being undersold.

Plus, eBay will be able to cite the measure as evidence of its strong opposition to trademark violations. ;)