NEWS~ Ebay to shut down Foreign sellers? Effects many mypoupette sellers...

I received an email from Angie at mypoupette this morning and all the overseas sellers who sell ONLY authentic LV will more than likely be selling on her site. Good for all if Ebay is not an option.

Sigh so what else is new? I was happily watching an item on eBay (authentic LV Speedy by my fave reseller Bagalley49) and it just got pulled :nuts: When I contacted her, she said all her authentic LV items were pulled for no reason too - with eBay quoting the Trademark thing.

She told me she got MyPoupette to contact eBay but guess what, eBay is not paying Poupette any heed!!

They just keep sending an auto-message to say "we suspect you have infringed trademark blah blah, we are not saying your item is a counterfeit, we just suspect it is and so we have removed your listing...we are not experts of course but if we have reason to doubt the authenticity of your item, then we will remove it...." The most irresponsible auto-email I've ever heard.

I'm so glad I'm not a reseller and have to put up with such crap from eBay!

I think in eBay's haste to sweep out the fakers, they are indiscrimately targetting all Asian LV sellers - even though there are thousands of authentic LV sellers who reside in Asia - Let Trade (Hong Kong), Bagalley49 (Singapore) and Lvlady all stellar examples.

This is sad indeed. And meanwhile, they let the USA fakers off the hook. This is worse for the innocent buyer - who now thinks it's absoultely safe to buy from the rest of the sellers left "untouched" by eBay. In fact from now onwards, I would highly advice all buyers to REALLY exercise caution when buying from eBay.

If you read Bagalley49's "me" page, you will see that she also has her own site on "Yahoo Singapore Auctions". If you can, please give these poor innocent resellers your support.

I'm sure even your sympathic emails will be most welcome in this holiday season. I'm sure all these sellers like Eeastmadison are relying on the holiday season to give their sales a boost but got a rude shock when their authentic listings are pulled for no reason:crybaby:

I can only urge eBay to fight counterfeits the responsible way....many of those poor resellers rely on eBay for their living and have never sold a fake at all. Why should people be targetted simply coz they live in Asia? Just coz you live in an area with a high crime rate doesn't automatically make you a criminal right? This is so sad :crybaby:

I agree - I think this is just awful for the authentic re-sellers. I e-mailed authentic_lvlady and I will probably just buy from her privately - I am hoping she can send me via e-mail pictures of all her bags and then I will just purchase what I want. It is really unfair. There are a LOT of counterfeit sellers here in the US - why aren't they going after them?

While I'm glad that eBay has finally taken a good stand against counterfeitors, I feel that their actions are rather extreme to the detriment of their business. This is really upsetting to me. Even though I'm not affected as badly as HK based mypoupette sellers, I'm limited to only a small number of listings per week.

I agree - I think this is just awful for the authentic re-sellers. I e-mailed authentic_lvlady and I will probably just buy from her privately - I am hoping she can send me via e-mail pictures of all her bags and then I will just purchase what I want. It is really unfair. There are a LOT of counterfeit sellers here in the US - why aren't they going after them?

And the most ridiculous thing is that USA sellers can only list their items after they agree not to ship to Asia!!! :nuts: So it's OK for fakers in China to ship to USA but we can't ship our authentic goods there? I think eBay has gone mad :graucho: :wtf: Frankly they are very happy making billions so I guess they really don't care who they piss off but this is simply crazy and just bad press. What are their executives thinking?

I agree with misspiggy and maybe more so because I live in Asia. Somehow, although I know that ebay is doing what it's doing to make ebay a safer market place for all, it doesn't help that this causes a generalisation of the Asian community as a whole. Look at the ebay boards and it'll tell you that since the announcement of ebay's new policies and plans pertaining to trademarks that there's a cultural and racial sensitivity arising and people are getting edgy. Why wouldn't they, when eBay dismisses them as criminals - for selling authentic goods, just for living in Asia?

I agree that while most counterfeit goods do originate from Asia and eBay has to start somewhere in their fight against counterfeits (which I do applaud them for btw) but shouldn't they at least review their sellers with more discretion and not simply generalising all Asian sellers regardless of their selling experiences and feedback (for e.g. the sellers mentioned in earlier posts). I have nothing to say of myself since I'm a relatively new seller and from Asia so I guess I'm "rightfully" on ebay's radar.

No, sellers from the Asian countries they are resrticting, cannot sell any brand on the high fraud list to anyone, anywhere.

OMG so it's worse than I thought :nuts: Those poor sellers :crybaby: eBay has gone mad....don't they know that Japan (yes, it's in Asia) is one of the largest market for authentic LV in the world?

And Singapore (yes, it's in Asia too) is known for caning teenage boys just for putting graffiti on a public wall (most notorious an American boy who didn't know better oops) and drug offenders get the Death penalty...you would think they have fewer people there who dare sell designer fakes compared to USA?? eBay is amazing :nuts:

Asia includes so many other countries other than China/Hong Kong. Japan, Korea and Singapore are consumers of luxury goods and actually enforce intellectual property infringement laws, but are lumped in the same category because of geographical location. eBay is ridiculous for punishing *buyers* from Asian countries by restricting even shipping from US sellers. Oh well, I guess Asian buyers will have to try an work out alternative arrangements outside of eBay.

I think a lot of people have been complaining that ebay doesn't have enough rules and this is a response to that (and of course the lawsuit). It may be eliminating some good sellers, but it will get rid of a lot of the counterfeiters as well (as pointed out above, not all). But, I think anything that ebay does to examine more carefully potential sellers is a good thing. I think it's better to have fewer sellers and to have a cleaner operation, which currently does not exist on ebay in the handbag area. I'm sure the legitimate sellers shut out will try an alternate venue--maybe their own websites.

ITA. :yes:

I think you're right!

While it will be unlikely to significantly impact the number of fraudulently labeled merchandise on eBay, it will definitely mean some nice revenue for a new tier of western middlemen, and increase the price to the consumer of both truthfully and fraudulently labeled merchandise, and be very pleasing to western entities who do not like being undersold.

Plus, eBay will be able to cite the measure as evidence of its strong opposition to trademark violations. ;)

What I worry about, is that fake sellers will use Western middlemen, as you say, to list the items and then drop-ship the fakes from Asia.

If eBay made it impossible for sellers to drop-ship items from Asia and they had to be not only sold, but also shipped from one part of the West to another; at least (assuming the fakes were produced in Asia) it would mean that they would have had to clear Western countries' customs, in relative bulk, before reaching the middleman seller.

Rather than relying on the counterfeit bags being detected at Western countries' customs, as they are drop-shipped, individually, to the customer (individual fakes are, presumably, harder to detect).

What I worry about, is that fake sellers will use Western middlemen, as you say, to list the items and then drop-ship the fakes from Asia.

That's been going on for years on eBay, so it's nothing new. The only way to really crack down on those operations is for eBay to hire enough people to actually cull through listings of bigger sellers and examine their merchandise, listing by listing.

Hey, they could hire tPF people to do that! WE certainly can spot fakes of our fave designers a mile off!! Hmm, I think I'm on to something here!:graucho:

While at the ebay convention this summer they did announce that the most of the fake handbags and electronics have come from overseas (they said asia actually) and that they were indeed taking drastic measures and an announcement would be made in the coming months that would be drastic by ebay standards. So perhaps this is it. I for one do buy bags from some of my fave UK sellers, so I will be sad about that but if thats what it takes to crack down on the bad guys, then let it be done.

From what I understand, from reading the 4 safeguards, you will still be able to buy from the UK, just not China and HK:

The four safeguards of the program are as follows:

1) Sellers who list items that appear on eBay's list of items particularly susceptible to counterfeiting (which we'll herein call eBay's anti-counterfeiting list) must become PayPal verified. However, those sellers are not required to offer PayPal as a payment option in their listings.

2) eBay will conduct manual "seller reviews" for sellers who list items on its anti-counterfeiting list. eBay will not authenticate items, but will use various information to determine if sellers will be permitted to sell such items. eBay would not get specific about exactly what criteria they would consider during the review process, but said it would consider "a variety of factors."

3) eBay will ban 1-day and 3-day auctions of all items on its anti-counterfeiting list to give eBay members and rights-holders enough time to review items.

4) eBay will restrict cross-border trade on items on its anti-counterfeiting list. Sellers in the U.S., Germany and UK may ship such items worldwide except to Hong Kong and China. Sellers in English-speaking countries can trade such items freely with each other. But sellers in China and Hong Kong may not list these items on their local sites or on any other eBay site.

And the most ridiculous thing is that USA sellers can only list their items after they agree not to ship to Asia!!! :nuts: So it's OK for fakers in China to ship to USA but we can't ship our authentic goods there?

No, according to the 4 safeguards, it's both ways.

Sellers in China and HK can't sell directly to anyone on eBay, anymore (which, I agree, is harsh on the honest ones, of course).

ETA: Sorry, I see that allison has already replied to you. :shame:

That's been going on for years on eBay, so it's nothing new. The only way to really crack down on those operations is for eBay to hire enough people to actually cull through listings of bigger sellers and examine their merchandise, listing by listing.

Hey, they could hire tPF people to do that! WE certainly can spot fakes of our fave designers a mile off!! Hmm, I think I'm on to something here!:graucho:

Good idea! :yes:

I know, they've been drop-shipping for years, haven't they?

Presumably, after these safeguards, that'll increase ten-fold! :sad: