Best Offer - int'l buyer is requesting first class shipping

mink

O.G.
Jul 15, 2006
Hi, I could really use some advice!

An international buyer just sent me an offer for an item. As part of the terms, she requested shipping via first class and stated she would accept all responsibility for missing, damaged, or lost mail.

I normally ship via Express Int'l only since it offers tracking and insurance. However, if the buyer accepts responsibility in the terms, does that mean I am not responsible if there are any delivery issues (or if she later claims she never received it?)

Also, I'm wondering if a Certificate of Mailing with first class mail would provide me with any protection in a potential Ebay/PP dispute.

Has anyone had experience with this situation? Thank you very much!!!

Last edited:
Hi, I could really use some advice!

An international buyer just sent me an offer for an item. As part of the terms, she requested shipping via first class and stated she would accept all responsibility for missing, damaged, or lost mail.

I normally ship via Express Int'l only since it offers tracking and insurance. However, if the buyer accepts responsibility in the terms, does that mean I am not responsible if there are any delivery issues (or if she later claims she never received it?)

Also, I'm wondering if a Certificate of Mailing with first class mail would provide me with any protection in a potential Ebay/PP dispute.

Has anyone had experience with this situation? Thank you very much!!!

It doesn't matter what she says, if the package goes missing believe me she will be right there filing a dispute and PayPal will find you responsible. I would not do it, I wouldn't even consider it. A Certificate of Mailing is not proof for PayPal, it's not something they can track online.

I would not accept her offer and tell her you only ship Express Mail with full tracking and insurance.

Linda

^How expensive is your item? If it was only a couple of bucks I'd go for it. I'm in Germany and have had great experiences with USPS First Class Mail. It's usually pretty quick and the chances of customs getting to it are rather slim (as opposed to Express Mail which has a fee on it in 9 out of 10 cases)

HOWEVER
You are responsible for getting the item to the buyer and eBay and Paypal will seek the fault with you if anything should happen. It's not relevant that she says she will take responsibility for them. If she opens a claim for INR and you cannot show them proof of delivery you are out of luck.

Thank you so much for the quick replies! The item is about $100 so I will definitely insist on Express only. I have never had a bad international transaction and I hope to keep it that way.

Thanks again!

hmmm... a buyer saying "I'll be responsible" is akin to your accountant saying they will be responsible if you get audited. UH... NO. Never believe either one of those statements. ;)

Last edited: