Lvs and Education....

What is your highest level of education?

• No High School

• High School diploma/GED

• Associate Degree (2 year college degree in US)

• B.A. or B.S.

• M.A. or M.S.

• PhD.

• M.B.A.

• J.D. (Law)

• M.D.

• R.N. or related nursing degree

Results are only viewable after voting.
i have a lot of friends in the same field who did that..every individual has their own preferences! :yes:

I think most education is good, don't get me wrong, but I often question how much you really get back for the effort. Oh, and I didn't give up on my bachelor because of school, it was the thought of being stuck in the lab that got me running.

I think most education is good, don't get me wrong, but I often question how much you really get back for the effort.

So true. My first job after I got my MS was paying less than what DH pays his receptionist who has no tertiary qualifications. Talk about getting a bum deal.

But I switched into the commercial world (where I am still using my science background) and my pay has tripled. So, the education was absolutely neccessary, but I had to pay my dues.

I work at a University and I'm glad everyone who is getting their PhD's here are getting them! Congratulations, but my personal opionion not meant to offend anyone is that PhD's are absolutely nuts, and can't deal with the real world. That's none of you here, only the ones I've been working with for the past 15 years. The academics I have worked with have not one iotta worth of business sense. Sometimes, going through the PhD process will ruin your life, if it's not right. So, kudos to all those who are trying, you must be very passionate about your field, and that is too fabulous. Please, I hope I didn't offend anyone, it's just that this is what I have observed over 15 years of University employment.

LOL Veronika...no offense taken...I go to school with some too! We just get so immersed in one little facet of the world (our research) that sometimes we're oblivious to everything else. Honestly, I think having a family (well a hubby and a dog) keeps me grounded in the real world. That and the fact that I took about 5 years off between high school and college...keeps me grounded in the 'real' world.

Yes, being grounded is imperative. I worked with a Classics Professor when I was running the Foreign Language Department who never had his fly zipped. Looked like he was living on the street. I worked with an Engineer when i was running the Electrical Engineering Department who was living in her faculty office because she had run up so much credit card debt buying all kinds of weird electronic parts and gadgets that she had gone underground. And, ps: she ended up dead, and I had to try and go find her... I mean, the University is a freaking trip. I also worked with another Professor where I am now in Public Health, who decided to live in her faculty office cause she was going through a bad divorce and cut her job down to .50 fte and couldn't live on it, so brought all her birds and dogs into her office and everyone was throwing a freaking fit. The University is NOT the real world, but it's definately it's own crazy world....

I'm wondering ... a lot of time I buy LV's or other bags as a reward for a job well done/mission accomplished sort of thing. Maybe it's something I picked up while at school as I always felt very generous toward myself after exams/final papers etc. :angel: There, I managed to blame my bag obsession on education :P

I'm wondering ... a lot of time I buy LV's or other bags as a reward for a job well done/mission accomplished sort of thing. Maybe it's something I picked up while at school as I always felt very generous toward myself after exams/final papers etc. :angel: There, I managed to blame my bag obsession on education :P

Good job icechick! I think you should reward yourself for rationalizing!!!:yes:

I took two years of nursing and minored in English Lit (purely for entertainment)...but before I finished the last two years I was married. So when my last little one is in school full day I am going back to take more Lit courses (again---purely for entertainment!).

Theoretical PHYSICS!!! wow. That's awesome, did you see "What the bleep do we know" I'm into reading quantum physics stuff, it's the artist in me,,, maybe or maybe not the Vuittonist...

I think this would be more "scientific" if you only asked for people within a certain age range.... Because some people are only in high school (and will most likely go to college, but may not know if they will pursue MA/PhD/JD/MD/MBA/etc.)