How many pairs of shoes does a person need?

ashlend

Sep 9, 2006
How many pairs of shoes do you think a woman reasonably needs? And how many do you own?

I think I have about a dozen pairs of fall and winter shoes. This would include everything from office shoes to boots to evening shoes to the most casual knockaround shoes (i.e., Chucks).

For summer, I probably have slightly more due to my somewhat oversized collection of Havaianas :whistle: but I still think I probably have 15-20 max. Hard to recall though- I haven't checked out my summer inventory in a while now.

So I'd say I probably have a total of 30 pairs. I could probably do with 20-25 if they were the right shoes, but I'd obviously prefer to have more. :biggrin:

How about you?

I'm guessing that I have about 20 pairs of shoes total - I think I have 5 pairs of boots, 5-6 pairs of nice dress shoes, probably 5-6 pairs of summer sandals and flip flops, and the rest are tennis shoes. I could definitely see owning more though, especially dress shoes, all of mine are strictly business.

lol! icechick has got it right on the dot.

IMHO you can never have too much. you need dress shoes, casual shoes aka relief shoes, shoes that match that particular dress, boots that will go with everything -- in several shades of course. but cost wise it'll be too much if you get it all at once.

thats why i constantly find myself shoe shopping, esp. during nordy's half-yearly sale

which starts next wednsday! btw. and if your sales person is nice enough, like mine, they offer you a pre sale thing.

Of course, I forgot to say in my original post that closet space is always a factor. LOL. For a New Yorker, I actually have a fair amount of closet space (my husband and I each have our own closets in the bedroom), but my closet doesn't have nearly enough room even to hold all the shoes I currently own at one time, at least not in an organized manner. I have to store spring/summer shoes in a box under the bed in fall/winter, and vice versa.

These are always funny.

To my husband, I should "need" about 3 pairs. My "reasonable," is totally incomprehensible to him.

I think 20-30 pairs is reasonable.

My husband would agree with your husband. I, on the other hand, don't think I could ever impose a limit on myself, but your 20-30 pairs probably is reasonable.

I have at least 100 pairs of shoes. And today, I bought three more pairs. I don't think I will ever have enough shoes. I am not sure you can actually put a number on how many pairs one needs, everyone is different. But I know for sure, that I don't actually NEED any more shoes. I just can't help it.

My fiance actually does not mind my shoe habit and most of the time encourages me to buy more.....He, however, only owns five pairs of shoes.

I think you can reasonably justify needing at least 11 pairs, for all four seasons:

2 pairs of sandals (day)

2 pairs of shoes (day)

2 pairs of evening shoes/sandals

2 pairs of boots

1 pair of wellies

1 pair of snowboots

1 pair of slippers

The categories can borrow from each other, according to personal taste/lifestyle/regional climate. :biggrin: