How many pairs of shoes does a person need?

I could find a legitimate reason for owning almost every pair of shoes I've ever laid eyes on. Realistically, though, a person doesn't actually NEED more than one or two pairs of shoes/boots.

But it isn't about need most of the time, is it? I am not sure I could function without at least a pair of heeled tall boots, heeled ankle boots, flat tall boots, winter/snow boots, sneakers (exercise), evening pumps in at least two colors, evening sandals in at least two colors, daytime sandals in at least two colors, flip-flops for beach wear, heeled clogs, lower clogs, two pairs of casual and non-sneaker shoes...

I counted mine two months ago after I took photos of all of them and put them in boxes from The Container Store. It was about 112 or so but I just bought several new pairs, including Chanel ballerina flats. I may throw all of them out now and just wear them. TDF.

Realistically, though, a person doesn't actually NEED more than one or two pairs of shoes/boots.

Yikes- talk about minimalism!

I think I legitimately NEED at least one pair each of flip-flops, sneakers and work shoes (so that's three). Those three shoes serve totally different practical functions that cannot be combined, IMO. If one were an extraordinarily careful dresser, one could probably get away with those three alone. But to be at all comfortable, I really don't think I could survive without a list rather more like the list you made.

I think my husband owns Tevas, sneakers and one pair of black work shoes and that pretty much takes him everywhere... but us women have rather more refined needs for specific outfits. :smile:

I agree - a woman can never have too many pairs of shoes! Especially pumps and dressy sandals... I read in a magazine recently that a woman should build her shoe collection based on 4 colours: gold, silver, black, and nude.

Theoretically...?

One pair of sports shoes
One pair of dressy heels
One pair of work shoes
One pair of casual flats
One pair of knee high boots
One pair of ankle boots
One pair of non-descript shoes

The reality......?

X that lot by...ooooh at least 80 and you have my collection...:graucho: :nuts:

as many as a person deems necessary :lol:
maybe in an ideal world i'd say one pair of sandals, one pair of tennis shoes, one pair of boots... basically one pair of each style? But then when you take into account cold/hot weather, and different colour outfits and casual vs formal outfits it becomes obvious that one can never have too many shoes... which is just fine with me :yahoo:

I have probably about 50 pairs of shoes ... but always end up wearing the same 2 pairs to work (nice flats and sandals). :Push: Whenever my kids see me in a different pair, they say they like them, so they must notice, haha.