name that leather...

aml716

.. cut off ..
O.G.
Oct 10, 2006
anybody know the type of leather they used for the carly (and zoes) vs. the leather they used for the madison line?

i love how buttery the carly and zoes are...
anybody else feel that sentiment?

I'm hopin' to feel that sentiment. I want a certain Zoe real bad and can't wait to feel it's leather. I do not have a Carly so it will be great to finally feel that Zoe's leather goodness. Hurry up and come to the outlets, miss Zoe!!

I don't know the name of it, but I have a parchment leather Carly and I just love the soft buttery feel, it's one of the reasons I love my Carly so much. I just picked up a pearl white Carly at the outlet but it feels like a different kind of leather, much more light weight, I'd like to know what that leather is, too.

Hopefully some of the experts will chime in and help us.

:smile:

I dont know what its called, but I refer to it as Carly Leather!!! To me there is nothing like that silky smooth, sleek Carly leather. Its really one of my all-time favorites from Coach, and I do hope they do more bags with similar leather. Very weather and everyday-wear friendly, too.

I noticed that too and had the same thought :smile:) I love the buttery soft carly leather, I got the black w sv hw and the pearl one from the outlets, the black is more stiff, where the pearl is soo smooth and cuddely... this is when i noticed how awesome the carly leather is... i didn't know some zoe's have the same leather type? to me zoe always felt "rougher" than carly...

I noticed that too and had the same thought :smile:) I love the buttery soft carly leather, I got the black w sv hw and the pearl one from the outlets, the black is more stiff, where the pearl is soo smooth and cuddely... this is when i noticed how awesome the carly leather is... i didn't know some zoe's have the same leather type? to me zoe always felt "rougher" than carly...

i remember caressing a platinum/grey zoe (i believe it retailed for $1000) and it was soooooooooooooo buttery. i loved it.

i currently own a sabrina and julianne and the leathers arent as soft... you cant even use the coach conditioner on them..

if the julianne was made with a carly leather, i'd be in heaven.

Okay, I've got my XL Black Leather Zoe and my Large Black Leather Carly in front of me. I'll just recite the creeds if that helps.

From my XL Black Leather Zoe:

COACH

THIS IS A COACH BAG. IT WAS HANDCRAFTED IN CHINA FROM FULL-GRAIN COWHIDE LEATHER. VARIATIONS IN THE GRAIN ARE A CHARACTERISTIC. ITS SUPERIOR CRAFTSMANSHIP REFLECTS OUR COMMITMENT TO ENDURING QUALITY.

NoG0826-12664

From my Large Black Leather Carly:

COACH

THIS IS A COACH BAG. IT WAS HANDCRAFTED IN CHINA FROM NATURAL COWHIDE LEATHER. THE VARIATIONS IN THE GRAIN ARE A CHARACTERISTIC OF NATURAL FULL-GRAIN LEATHER. ITS SUPERIOR CRAFTSMANSHIP AND ATTENTION TO DETAIL REFLECTS OUR COMMITMENT TO ENDURING QUALITY.

NoJ0873-10616
I hope this helps. As you can see, the Zoe creed is centered and there is much less wording than the Carly creed that is left flushed. The Zoe is made from FULL-GRAIN COWHIDE LEATHER whereas the Carly is made from NATURAL COWHIDE LEATHER/NATURAL FULL-GRAIN LEATHER so I am not really sure what the creeds is trying to say. They're both full-grain cowhide leather. I guess it's where on the body they take it from the cow, I guess? :wtf:

Well, it gave me a chance to take these two bags out side by side. I am uploading pictures for your viewing pleasure. As far as texture is concerned, they feel the same and smell the same. According to the thickness, the Carly leather is thicker! There is a difference. The Carly leather feels significantly lusher because the leather thicker than the Zoe leather. The Zoe leather feels more 'refined' in texture. Isn't that funny? I thought it would be the reverse. This Carly came out in January of 2008 whereas the Zoe came out in June of 2008. It's scary to think that they are 'cutting back' on the quality and thickness of their leathers in this short period of time. They definitely cut back on the wording in their creeds. Well, the deep purple lining is identical, that's for sure.

I'll report my findings here and then add the photos soon.

Here are some comparison shots--sorry, I don't have a Large Black Zoe to compare with the Large Black Carly, but at least you can appreciate the size difference between the two. I sure do. :biggrin:

Here they are side by side resting:

Here they are sitting up nice and slouchy:

Here is a slouchier look of the two sitting together:

As you can see, the Zoe leather is shinier than the Carly.

Carly at the front and Zoe at the back:

Here is a side view of the two. You can see the brass versus nickel accents are different:

Next thread we'll look at the innards.

As you can see, the lining in both are identical--a deep rich purply colour:

Here is the XL Zoe's creed:

From my XL Black Leather Zoe:

COACH
THIS IS A COACH BAG. IT WAS HANDCRAFTED IN CHINA FROM FULL-GRAIN COWHIDE LEATHER. VARIATIONS IN THE GRAIN ARE A CHARACTERISTIC. ITS SUPERIOR CRAFTSMANSHIP REFLECTS OUR COMMITMENT TO ENDURING QUALITY.
NoG0826-12664

Here is my Large Carly's Creed:

From my Large Black Leather Carly:

COACH

THIS IS A COACH BAG. IT WAS HANDCRAFTED IN CHINA FROM NATURAL COWHIDE LEATHER. THE VARIATIONS IN THE GRAIN ARE A CHARACTERISTIC OF NATURAL FULL-GRAIN LEATHER. ITS SUPERIOR CRAFTSMANSHIP AND ATTENTION TO DETAIL REFLECTS OUR COMMITMENT TO ENDURING QUALITY.

NoJ0873-10616

Okay, here are the last two pictures of the Carly/Zoe combo. As you can see, the Carly leather has bigger 'pores' and spongier in texture.The Zoe has tighter, thinner, and more refined leather.

Here is a picture with the XL Zoe and Large Carly (from top down):

Here is a picture of the Zoe and Carly head to head (left to right):

Phew! That should dispel any more questions of the two. I am so done and need some breakfast! BTW, I checked my Madison Teal Crossbody and the creed (sorry, no more pix!) says that the bag is "handcrafted with the finest materials and leather," so that is not particularly helpful at all. It's a more waxy thinner and shinier leather totally different from the Zoe and Carly leather shown above.

Okay! That was very interesting and I've learned the difference between the Zoe and Carly leather. No wonder I have been unconsciously drawn more towards my Carly bag over my Zoe. It's much lusher and thicker even though less shiny than the Zoe. The Carly is quite huggable even though the XL Zoe is bigger.

I know eh, cz22? I love a good Coach question. This is the most attention to fine detail as I can make it. I have actually been waiting to get a chance to compare and contrast between the Zoe and Carly in my collection. Now I can appreciate how both have been made and how the leather of the two have been selected for their purposes.

It is great that you have both to compare for us! I couldn't have done that, but I love your attention to detail with all the differences. Now I want to find a (non-patent) leather Zoe to touch so I can feel the differences!

Wow, great comparison shots!!
I feel like the leather on the Carly and the Zoe is a lot 'hardier' than the leather on the Sabrina... like the Madison leather feels thinner and more susceptible to damage. Is that just me??

T-GIRL ! you are AWESOME! thank you for the detailed comparisons.

I thought I was over the carly's and Zoes, but now you are making me want them again. I fell in love with the XL Zoe in grey? (but couldn't bear to drop $1000), and I own a Large choc canvas carly -- now i'm wishing i had a leather one...

Anybody know if the XL Zoes are in the outlets?? and how much they're going for?