Do you smell fish, too?

azia

Aug 27, 2006
Hi there,

I am the seller of the BALENCIAGA MOTORCYCLE MEDIUM BAG CARAMEL MILLION% AUTH,Item number: 250037463259.This is the link with my auction on which you have bided AU $800.00 through the eBay system:
eBay.com Item Bid History
and I've just been contacted by the eBay staff who informed me that the winner of the item I sold, withdraw his bidding and was rejected due to security reasons. The eBay policy automatically proclaims you to be the winner by default. I need your agreement on this so I can contact eBay to confirm you that you're the winner, otherwise I'll relist the item. I am sorry for the inconvenience, but I need an answer asap. Your last given bid prior to being outbid is taken into consideration. If interested just contact me at xxxxxx

I will wait your mail soon!

After I said I would only do this if she did it through eBay officially (as in, click on that Second Chance Offer button in the auction itself) she sent me this reply.

Hello,
Thank you for your e-mail.I can't use PayPal because my account was corrupted and I can't use it for another 2 or 3 weeks.Someone made payments with my account and now I must wait until PayPal will restore it to me.For the moment I can't make or receive payments.eBay will contact you with instructions about the payment method.
I must tell you that now I'm in Italy with business but this is not a problem because once the payment is confirmed through an eBay payment method,you will receive the item in maximum 3 days.
I will provide you 5 days money back guarantee, no questions asked. That means within 5 working days you decide if you don't want to keep the item.
The item is for sale again using eBay's Second Chance Offer because the winner of the auction was unable to buy the item and didn't respond to my emails, so you will be able to buy the item at the last bid you placed on my auction.For your security we will make the deal through eBay using Square Trade Service.
In order to start the process,all you have to do is to send me exactly those info:
First name:
Last name:
Address:
City:
Zip:
The deal will be made through eBay Square Trade,I will forward all the details to them and right after that they will contact us with all the instructions to proceed the deal. Shipping and handling will be supported by me since this is a Second Chance Offer.
Best Regards!

This smells INCREDIBLY fishy to me! What do you think?

*I edited out her e-mail, please don't post other people's personal e-mail addresses.

I officially hate Ebay! At least you were able to see through this scam. I hate to think about all of the people that fall for these type of things. It will probably take some more time (maybe several years), but if Ebay doesn't do a better job of protecting it's honest buyers/sellers, I think someone will come out with a better option for buying and selling that puts them out of business.

^ I totally agree with you. Right now none of the alternatives are strong enough on their own (especially since eBay holds a monopoly....*cough* paypal, too *cough*) and so eBay can bully them out. But soon, we're all going to get way too tired of this.

Blech....:yucky: The only thing more irritating than the scammers and fake bags on ebay is getting an email from one who can't even communicate their scam in a orderly fashion with correct verbage. :busted

Did you report this to ebay?? They can do investigations and even prosecute if they find fraud (it recently happend and made news here in Seattle, a woman was scamming thru ebay and was arrested.)

Did you report this to ebay?? They can do investigations and even prosecute if they find fraud (it recently happend and made news here in Seattle, a woman was scamming thru ebay and was arrested.)

No, I'm so lazy. :shame: :shame: :shame:

However, if someone has the e-mail address I'll forward it on. :biggrin:

yea i do! the email address is [email protected]
ebay sends you a letter back and stuff too, it's funny
ive gotten those and then i'm always like, nooo, i'm too lazy to send them in, but then i got irritated the other day and was like, if your going to try to steal my money i'm kicking you off ebay, (potentially) they probably don't kick these people off, but i'm a wishful thinker.

This has been the latest rampant scam being run by the bottomfeeding slimeballs to rip off trusting eBayers. I've seen this letter more times than I can count....

Ewwwwwwwwwwwww that well and truly STINKS!!!:confused1:

Second chance offer is something the seller decides to do (or not do) once an auction has ended - usually if the seller has multiple items or, if after a reasonable amount of time has elapsed, the original buyer is unable to complete the sale.

These con-artists use Ebay (and other sites) as a front to conduct their misdemeanours.:cursing:
It gives these sites a bad name, sadly.

They (Ebay etc) can only do so much, they advertise on the site warning of spoof emails etc and they send emails to your account with your registered name to show that it originated from Ebay - and as fast as 10 con-artists are booted off the site, another 50 come in...ugh.

Hmm, same situation happened to me recently. I bid on an item, was outbid at the last second. I received a second chance offer from the seller a week later due to the winner not going through with the purchase. However, I noticed that the original winner did a feedback on seller's site saying that "bag was exactly as described".

So I emailed the seller and called him/her out on it. He has not since returned my email.

More fishiness on these second chance offers!

After I said I would only do this if she did it through eBay officially (as in, click on that Second Chance Offer button in the auction itself) she sent me this reply.

This smells INCREDIBLY fishy to me! What do you think?

*I edited out her e-mail, please don't post other people's personal e-mail addresses.

definetly stay away...and I would also forward that email onto ebay...

this is clearly a SCAM...and be careful..I was just reading on Ebay about these types of things..and if you hit respond on the email page she sent you, it could be going directly to their website..and they could obtain your personal information...

CONTACT EBAY right away..

^ I've since received several other fake second chance offers from different addresses. Great, I'm now on their mailing list. :cursing:

I've forwarded them all to eBay but they only send me back generic responses even though on one of the e-mails I told them the whole situation, how I've been getting all these different e-mails from the same seller under different names. Sighhh...