Will SAs from Chanel store know the purse's authenticity when you send it for repair?

So that booklet is without doubt real because? Maybe I'm a super skeptic but if bags can be faked what more a booklet?

You may be a super skeptic, or perhaps you're the type of person who always has to be right. The SA said that book had never been made by Chanel. That's different from saying the booklet was a counterfeit. But whatever. We could lobby back and forth with no resolution, so I'll capitulate.

ETA: Based on some of your other posts, you're pretty confident in your own abilities to spot counterfeit details and make declarations online, even though you're relatively new to Chanel.

Last edited:
Oh.... I have never bought my bags on eBay. I used to buy in bloomies and bergdorf, and at the Chanel outiques.
I'd agree with the department stores return policies, it's too easy to switch the bags.

Forget it. After reading all THAT, I don't trust anyone anymore... Even the stores. Only Chanel boutiques! And only in Paris.

I will not warn anyone in this thread again. I was crystal clear already. Do not question the authenticators again in this thread. It's off topic, it's combative and it is over. If you do not trust these member's opinions, then do not ever post authenticity questions - easy math.

I have not read this whole thread yet. But let me make something clear, DO NOT ever insinuate or accuse w/o unequivocal proof that an authenticator here or in any other forum or on any other website is somehow in cahoots w/ a counterfeit sale. It's reckless and not okay. I highly doubt anyone here wants to be accused either.
Remember that a bag pictured is not always the bag sent. Often a scammer will post tons of great photos of an authentic bag but send a fake. You cannot possibly blame an authenticator for this.

Our authenticators answer the AT thread on their own time, are not paid or otherwise given any kickbacks by tPF. Most of them have done this for years and if you pay attention they are not only giving the thumbs up to certain sellers and not others.
It is their opinion only, not a guarantee and they are not approved by tPF - we have no "qualifications" to authenticate here.

Anne, I apologize for the wicked rudeness in the hijacking of your thread. Your question was very valid.

**Members, if you are not directly answering this post below,
kindly do not participate in this thread any longer.**

Hi ladies!

I just have a quick question, I recently just purchased a Maxi off of ebay and had it authenticated by our lovely authenticators. I received it and immediately shipped it to the nearest boutique to have it cleaned and change the turnlock logo since there is discoloration. The SA or person in charge of sending it for repair called me and said that the bag is in great condition and verified the list of things I wanted to be done. Now my question is, will they immediately know if a purse is fake or not once they were able to check and touch it? Will they know the difference? I am not doubting our authenticators expertise though, I am just triple checking everything. I will assume if there is something wrong with its authenticity they will let me know immediately right? The purse has been with them for a week now and they told me it will take 4-6 weeks to be cleaned and repaired. I am just curiuos if these SAs have trained eyes on whats fake or authentic.

Thanks a lot for your time ladies!

Swanky Mama Of Three said:
I will not warn anyone in this thread again. I was crystal clear already. Do not question the authenticators again in this thread. It's off topic, it's combative and it is over. If you do not trust these member's opinions, then do not ever post authenticity questions - easy math.

Anne, I apologize for the wicked rudeness in the hijacking of your thread. Your question was very valid.

**Members, if you are not directly answering this post below,
kindly do not participate in this thread any longer.**

Yeah. Did not realize that by starting up this thread, it will create such a hot debate. Thanks for reposting my original question swanky just to remind everyone. Lets just move on ladies, its still everyone's choice where to buy their purses. Its your choice, your money anyway. Cheers! :smile:

annechinky said:
Yeah. Did not realize that by starting up this thread, it will create such a hot debate. Thanks for reposting my original question swanky just to remind everyone. Lets just move on ladies, its still everyone's choice where to buy their purses. Its your choice, your money anyway. Cheers! :smile:

So sorry Annechinky :sad: I'm sure your purse will be fine :smile: I went to my SA yesterday and she says mine should be back any day now. She says they now add the serial number of your purchases at the boutique to your name in the system to stop unscrupulous sellers on eBay inflating the prices. Basically they'll go after the person if they ripped you off in price since in the system the bag is under their name. Don't know if this is brand new or they've been doing this a while. But it won't apply to vintage of course. I thought that was interesting so I thought to share :smile: I guess it adds another authenticity piece in their system for everyone as well.

So sorry Annechinky :sad: I'm sure your purse will be fine :smile: I went to my SA yesterday and she says mine should be back any day now. She says they now add the serial number of your purchases at the boutique to your name in the system to stop unscrupulous sellers on eBay inflating the prices. Basically they'll go after the person if they ripped you off in price since in the system the bag is under their name. Don't know if this is brand new or they've been doing this a while. But it won't apply to vintage of course. I thought that was interesting so I thought to share :smile: I guess it adds another authenticity piece in their system for everyone as well.

That's interesting, but I'm not sure how effective. Ebay isn't going to release seller personal information and furthermore, I think someone could claim "it was a gift from a friend".

LadyEnoki was your bag cleaned or repaired? When was it sent to Chanel? Please share your experience. Thanks!:smile:

akillian24 said:
That's interesting, but I'm not sure how effective. Ebay isn't going to release seller personal information and furthermore, I think someone could claim "it was a gift from a friend".

I don't know. She said it was the new corporate policy. I guess they can threaten with legal action for price gouging. Doesn't matter where the bag is from since authenticity is not what's being questioned.

Last edited:
LadyEnoki said:

I think this is a good idea by Chanel. Thanks for sharing Lady! Im glad your getting your baby soon! Let us know what happen to her and show some photos if you can :smile:

Chanbal said:
LadyEnoki was your bag cleaned or repaired? When was it sent to Chanel? Please share your experience. Thanks!:smile:

Hi Chanbal :smile: I haven't gotten it back yet so I don't know about the results. But I sent it in to be repaired. It had a lining made from a synthetic material and it was peeling. She told me they know this is happening to bags that had it so they are repairing it for free and relining it. Also I'm having the outside redyed since it was old. The charge for that is 110. I'm excited since it was a beautiful lipstick red :biggrin:

I don't know. She said it was the new corporate policy.

I suppose the could monitor *all* the resale sites, cross-reference the serial number and then keep track if they are seeing a certain buyer pop up repeatedly. I would just be shocked if they would put that much effort into it. Hermes doesn't even do that.

ETA: What it might help is if someone sends it to Chanel for repair, they have a purchase history, no question... especially since fakes can get so close to the real thing these days.

akillian24 said:
I suppose the could monitor *all* the resale sites, cross-reference the serial number and then keep track if they are seeing a certain buyer pop up repeatedly. I would just be shocked if they would put that much effort into it. Hermes doesn't even do that.

ETA: What it might help is if someone sends it to Chanel for repair, they have a purchase history, no question... especially since fakes can get so close to the real thing these days.

It's not about fakes. It's more about people price gouging the second hand market. So that's what they're monitoring. As far as I understand. And they can take legal action if the bag is priced higher on eBay than at their stores. Like CJ is way overpriced on eBay compared to the stores.

annechinky said:
I think this is a good idea by Chanel. Thanks for sharing Lady! Im glad your getting your baby soon! Let us know what happen to her and show some photos if you can :smile:

I will for sure :smile: I'm really excited and also that I would have a record of it at Chanel so no one can question its authenticity in the future should I choose to sell it. It didn't come with the authenticity card and I'm worried that relining would eliminate the hologram. So I'll have proof and that's still reassuring :smile:

Btw what did you send your bag in for? Is it just being cleaned?