Travel San Diego

hi Pwecious! i'm from San Diego. A couple recommendations:

-La Jolla Cove. great place to walk along the park and watch the seals on the beach from the water walkway, see kayakers. There's also a "Cave Store" where you can pay $4/person to walk down a man-made staircase underground into one of the caves that open into the ocean. Great place! you can wave to the kayakers, maybe see some seals swimming around. anytime during the day is great for the Cove.

-Sea World/San Diego Zoo are classics. there are fireworks every night at 9:00pm at Sea World. they can be seen at the park and from Mission Bay, great place for bike riding, water sports, and picnicking.

-take a walk to Seaport Village, its right own the street from your hotel. Great little shops, a beautiful walk to the Embarcadero Park, which is surrounded my the bay & boats.

-Coronado Island. drive over the Coronado Bridge, (great views of Downtown San Diego), and check out the historic Hotel Del Coronado. its so quaint and lovely, and the backside of the hotel opens up to the beach! I swear this beach has the best sand in San Diego, i wonder where they brought this sand from! LOL. They have a great outside patio area where you can buy an alcoholic drink, grab a table overlooking the beach, and sit out in the sun and people-watch.

Balboa Park is lovely if you like museums. My favorite are the San Diego Natural History Museum & the Museum of Man. the entire park have great spanish mission style decor, a lovely koi pond, and a very nice botanical building. last tickets for the museums sold at 5pm.
Restaurant recommendations: Phil's BBQ on Sports Arena Blvd. Casual atmosphere. Reeeally good ribs with DELiCiOUS sides. my favorite are the macaroni salad & baked beans & cole slaw. also have onion rings (TDF!!), fries, corn on the cob, etc. I recommend the full rack of ribs (comes with 2 sides), the 3-rib tickler, or the BBQ Broham (pulled pork sandwich w/ coleslaw). Very reasonably priced, between $7-18 for full rack of ribs.

i was actually just at Extraordinary Desserts tonight! it was very good! my favorite dessert was the cheesecake covered in berries. definitely do dine-in, they decorate the plates with rose petals and delicious sauces. nice ambiance over candlelit tables.

i agree with eventuality, Yelp is a great website to get more ideas of things to do. Hope you have a great weekend here!

I live in San Diego so Im going to recommend that you simply must go to Fashion Valley while you are here. You would fall in love. There are many designer boutiques and shopping like Nordie's, Sak's, Neiman's, Bloomies, and also tons of great restaurants.

Marriott Marina is very nice. I've stayed there and the beds and rooms were very comfortable. It's walking distance from the Gaslamp district, where there are tons of bars and restuarants. I'd suggest that you do your trip to La Jolla and wherever else you're going by car during the day and spend the evening in the Gaslamp. It will be crowded in La Jolla and parking is difficult so you might want to go there early in the morning if you can. The coastal area north of La Jolla (Del Mar, Cardiff, Encinitas) is a nice drive with some nice little towns to explore.
Have fun.

So DH, DS (7 months) and I are going to San Diego for 5 days. I am going on business and DH will be staying with DS for 2 days in the hotel while i am at a conference. Which hotel is nicer and easier(to get to local attractions, shopping/restaurants etc) to stay at with an infant? Any help on deciding b/w these two would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

I just got back from SD where my DH had a conference and we stayed here

http://www.parkmanorsuites.com/

I loved it. You can literally walk across the street and be in Balboa Park or you can walk one block down and get a free trolley to take you into the heart of the park. You have the Zoo, playgrounds, museums...you could spend days there and not get bored.

^ I have to say I just got on tripadvisor and looked at the reviews and the photos...which tell alot and the hotel and it looks very, very outdated. thanks for the suggestion though.

Any other suggestions out there?

Well, I stayed at the Westin a couple of years ago -- it was before the W opened because I would have picked it over the Westin. I'm SPG Gold, so I always try to pick a Starwood property. We got a room on the top floor and it had a great view. The pool area was very small, but nice.

The Westin is exactly what you'd expect it to be - comfortable, unassuming, sort of generic....I'd probably try the W if I were deciding between the two.

Personally, I didn't care for the Gaslamp area at all. Way too touristy. The restaurant row was tacky and the prices were sky high. We spent most of our time in the Little Italy area, where the design galleries are located. There are a couple of new hotels there like La Pensione or Porto Vista.

Hey all,

My department in my office is going off to SAN DIEGO next month! But us ladies don't know what to do... We most likely will be staying at the Westin Hotel and Resort in the Gaslamp District (?)

We want to know what are some great/relaxing things to do? We want to go to the spa, SHOP (What are the BEST shopping area's, outlets etc), what are the MUST go places to eat or even if they aren't all that relaxing.

We could use your help! :smile:

Thanks!
She

Hubby and I are taking a long weekend getaway in September. :biggrin:

We are thinking either Half Moon Bay staying at the Ritz or San Diego staying at Hotel del Coronado?

I would love to hear thoughts/ideas/opinions on these two!!!

Thanks so much!

The Half Moon Bay Ritz is one of my favorite hotels with impeccable service and dining options. Definitely try Navio (inside the hotel) if you do stay there.

The Coronado is a great hotel, but I love the vibe of Half Moon Bay.

if you are after a warm-weather getaway, San Diego is by far the warmer choice! Half Moon Bay will likely be quite chilly! I've never been to San Diego myself, so I can't comment on the hotel; I've never had any complaints with the Ritz at Half Moon Bay, but it doesn't really "wow" me.

Have you considered someplace in Napa or Sonoma? I love the little private cottages at the Carneros Inn, it's a perfect long weekend getaway spot for couples!
http://www.thecarnerosinn.com/thecarnerosinn/accommodations_cottages.aspx