Travel San Diego

I'm planning a family vacation and here are my choices? Beach front hotel in San Diego or 1.5 blocks from a beach La Jolla (continental breakfast included) not available for SD? People from there? What is the best choice and why?????:P

I went to college in San Diego years ago. La Jolla is in San Diego. It is a more upscale, monied community. You can't go wrong with La Jolla. It is beautiful, has pretty beaches and wonderful restaurants and shops. San Diego is a pretty big city. Where is the San Diego hotel?

It's a Best Western on the beach for San Diego; for La Jolla another BW but 1.5 blocks away. The only other hotel on the beach is in La Jolla but they are booked up. (I guess August is a very busy tourist month). My DH really wants to walk out of the hotel and go on a beach so I'm trying to weigh my options.

Thanks Lawchick any information would be appreciated!

All I know is, I'd rather be right on the beach on that fabulous boardwalk. If you are anywhere near Mission Beach, you can walk to any beach restaurant, bar, coffee house, etc., and have a fantastic time. You can always rent a car and visit La Jolla.

La Jolla is very pretty, more of a relaxed atmosphere...the only downside is that it isn't really a city center so there are more tiny shops and restaurants than anything. Like lawchick said, La Jolla is in San Diego, so it's not like you'll be too far away from anything you want to see while you're in the area. It also depends on what area the first Best Western you mentioned is in, in regards to which area would be better.

Also, I'm actually surprised the hotels are booked up around here, the news is always talking about how much tourism is down.

^I guess hotels on the beach are another story :sad:. San Diego it will be then! That BW hotel is right on the boardwalk and then you have the beach!! Cool!!

I read other posts and know now to rent a car and visit La Jolla.

Also I'm reading about kayaking and biking through the mountains? Sounds like fun? Has anybody actually done this? Locals in La Jolla?

Does anyone have any recommendations? I've looked online but it's so overwhelming and I've never used any of them so I'm unsure how trustworthy they are. Would love to get tix for Legoland, Seaworld, and San Diego Zoo for starter.

Thanks!

Hi Ladies,

The DBF and I are going to San Diego with friends on July 5th-8th (the 4th is one of the busiest days in DBF's industry). We were supposed to discuss and then book rooms with our friends, but a couple we're going with booked their room anyway. Needless to say we're a bit annoyed and aren't particularly fond of their hotel choice. Does anyone have a recomendation? We're looking to probably spend around $150 a night (less would be great).

Thank you!

If you haven't booked yet, I'd recommend avoiding the Gaslamp area. Way too touristy and all of the nearby restaurants were really expensive (and not really worth it).

I'd recommend staying in the Little Italy area. Check out Trip Advisor for specifics.

Ladies, i'm finally taking a trip after having my baby with my husband, so i'm super excited. MIL is going to look after the baby while we take a short trip from LA to SD during Labor Day weekend (Sunday + Monday). We have booked the Marriott Marina in SD -- any1 been there? I got mixed reviews so not sure about the experience.

Also, got any suggestions for restaurants with nice ambiance but not too expensive (arond $20-25 a person is good dessert places to check out (heard Extraordinary Dessert is a must!). Any other cute places to check out?

We will also go to La Jolla - got any places there too? restaurants? sight-seeing? We will go to the famous Cove area, what is the place like? when is the best time to go? Please advice. thx :smile:

I went to college at UCSD so I'm fairly familiar with the area but I've also been on a college budget most of the time so I'll leave it to others to recommend more sophisticated things. :smile: If you like scenic or ocean views, I'd definitely check out Mount Soledad in La Jolla and the Cabrillo Monument in Point Loma. The views are beautiful at both places.. and the lighthouse is really pretty too.

I've always had an apt here so I can't comment on the service of the hotel but the hotel is in a really great location. There are so many good eats in Gaslamp, you could just look up reviews on www.yelp.com for whatever you're craving. I really like Fish Market on N. Harbor Drive, it has a great view too and it's inexpensive. Extraordinary Desserts is far and away my favorite (the location on Union and not the 5th ave location).. they have the BEST fudge and you must order at least one chocolate cake :smile: I also like Caffe Italia on India St for gelato.. Little Italy in general is worth at least one meal. There are lots of little dessert places around La Jolla so if you walk up from the Cove, I'm sure you can find something. I've always tried to go to the Cove during low tide so I could see the tidepools and I've never timed it well.. but there isn't really a bad time to go to the Cove unless it's really windy. Be prepared to spend time looking for parking since it'll probably be busy. The cove is scenic, relaxing and everytime I go there, there is some couple taking their wedding pictures :smile: Downtown La Jolla is a nice shopping area though in my college immaturity, I was more impressed by the houses and cars.

SD has great beaches but my favorite is Coronado and you can take the ferry from the Broadway Pier to Coronado in 15 minutes. The ferry is two miles away from the beach so you can take bus 904 or maybe some others too.. the Hotel del Coronado is pretty famous and right on the beach! They have better sand than the other beaches.. too bad about alcohol being banned from beaches now :/ If you can't make it out to Coronado, Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach, and La Jolla Shores (in spite of all the college kids) are great neighborhoods too. Balboa Park is nice looking.. the museums themselves have always been underwhelming to me. If you like Mexican food or burritos at all, you must try it here. If you haven't been to the Wild Animal Park or Zoo before, WAP is more intimate but the new panda cub was born at the zoo a couple weeks ago! Hope this helps!

Last edited: