Travel San Diego

I would have to disagree with the opinion on Ocean Beach. I really like Ocean Beach, there is some good food there and it is more 'real' San Diego than many other places. There are also some fun antique stores around. The beach itself isn't anything to write home about but I like visiting the area. It isn't swanky in the least though :smile:

Ladies and gents in San Diego, I need your help!

My boyfriend and I have to unexpectedly go to San Diego this weekend for a funeral. He's trying to be very stoic and wants to stay somewhere interesting and busy so we can go out Fri and Sat nights and forget that he feels broken. Also I won't actually be going to the funeral on Saturday during the day so somewhere I can walk around and window shop or otherwise entertain myself while alone would be nice, although I'm pretty happy in bed with a book so a neighborhood that is dead during the day but alive at night is ok too.

So do we stay in the gaslamp area? He found somewhere cheap in Mission Valley, but the hotel listing says it's suburban?

Thoughts? We also need something on the cheaper side since this is so last minute. I haven't been to San Diego since I was 11 so I'm a little clueless and running out of time.

Thank you!!