Michael Fassbender

TAU won the jury prize of the first film festival & awards Macau IFFAM 2016 on 13 December . Michael 's co-star Lindsay Marshal won best actress

#評審團特別獎 -《#血濃於罪》
"Jury Prize" -《TRESPASS AGAINST US》

Jury Statement:
TRESPASS AGAINST US - What impressed us, was a first time director’s ability to hold together such disparate characters, ideas, and stories, and yet contain them into a larger comprehensive narrative. In a less competent director's hands, it would be so easy for this film to spin out of control, and yet in his very first film, Director Adam Smith showed incredible grasp over his form and content.

IMG_1481759354.043601.jpg

TAU won the jury prize of the first film festival & awards Macau IFFAM 2016 on 13 December . Michael 's co-star Lindsay Marshal won best actress

#評審團特別獎 -《#血濃於罪》
"Jury Prize" -《TRESPASS AGAINST US》

Jury Statement:
TRESPASS AGAINST US - What impressed us, was a first time director’s ability to hold together such disparate characters, ideas, and stories, and yet contain them into a larger comprehensive narrative. In a less competent director's hands, it would be so easy for this film to spin out of control, and yet in his very first film, Director Adam Smith showed incredible grasp over his form and content.

View attachment 3548505
Thanks for this! So somehow the first film festival of Macau understood and appreciated this film--but the film critic of (Variety, I think?) couldn't understand why they were all living in trailers. Got it.
I can't wait to see this!

It's clear to me that the academy, a lot of whom are old white men, don't like Michael because of Shame. That movie exposes a disease a lot of them probably suffer from.

That's the only explanation I can find for why this phenomenally talented actor didn't get an Oscar.

I have nothing against Leo, but NO, I'm sorry but he wasn't good enough.
At least he was appreciated by critics (see the various critics' polls,the LAFCA award ). SJ was damaged by the box office results and the bad press (Sorkin wasn't even nominated),but Leo had the "he's overdue" narrative" to win and he really campaigned for that Oscar. Everyone knew that he was going to win. The other actors weren't even in contention.. :lol: I agree the he deserved to win but sometimes the performance doesn't really matter.

Cinemafan, I do get what you're saying in terms of Leo being rewarded by the Academy for campaigning, body of work, etc. and I would say those are the biggest reasons he won. That said, Michael's performance itself in my honest opinion was more interesting and I enjoyed the film more than I expected to, and he should have gotten more acclaim. He didn't really campaign, however, so I think that's what hurt him the most. If anything, it goes to show how outdated and nonsensical the system is in terms of awarding Oscars. It's been more about politics than anything else for a while now.
Now they pay more attention to the critical reception of a film/performance,but if a film is not supported by a studio that is willing to campaign,it's not even considered. And we rarely see an actor who doesn't campaign winning. Last year Rylance was obviously supported by a big studio but I don't think he really campaigned . A24 didn't campaign for Vikander. But if Focus had campaigned for her in lead,she would have probably pulled off a double nomination because she became the critics' consensus choice for Ex Machina. Cotillard for Two Days,One Night was another similar case. But these are really exceptions.

People are still seeing and liking tlbo very much! Im seeing tweets and FB posts. I'm so happy, Michael is so proud of that movie.
+ it seems Assassins Creed has turned out cool and I'm so so glad of it too! Waiting to see what people say, esp what non-games say. I'm pretty sure gamers will like it, that's why I wasn't very positive at first, bc the movie looked too much like a video game (from the trailers), but then seeing some clips (+ consider the fact that I really really trust Michael) made me change my mind about the nature of the movie.
Then I also read some tweets from gamers who aren't very positive after seeing the trailer, but the great part of them seems excited. The DP is the same of Macbeth and TLBO right? I liked very much what he did in both those movies.
Im curious to see what non-gamers think, but I'm way more positive than I was before. Obviously I can't wait to see it.
LOVED all yesterday's interviews: Jeremy Irons is a king, Michael K. W. very cool and Michael and Marion too. They all seem to have a great chemistry and fun together.
I heard them talking about a sequel and I know that Kurzel had previously said that he wanted to make a sequel no matter what, no matter how the first movie went. I honestly still hope they wait to see what's the response to the first movie or it would be very riskty for them all, beyond every aspect. But... has michael ever done non-risky choices? That's probably why I love him so much. :3

Talking about TLBO,I've seen that it got quite positive reviews from French critics. Four stars from publications like Le Monde,Le Figaro Le Nouvel Observateur,Premiere.
There's no way they're going to do a sequel if this doesn't break even.

You and me both. I have my doubts he will, he likes to explore new roles and there's little scope for that in XMen, he didn't seem very enthused about making the last one...

I agree,even if I like what he has done with the character. The next XMen film is New Mutants,so I guess we'll not see other news in the immediate future.

Reactions: pearlyqueen
Blurb from Deadline about Fox presentation of Alien:Covenant:
Waterson spoke about how Scott gave her and her fellow actors Michael Fassbender, Billy Crudup the freedom to work on the dark stuff in the film. “We’d then show him what we came up with, and if he didn’t like it, we reworked it,” said the actress about the actors’ sci-fi playground.

http://deadline.com/2016/12/alien-c...of-the-planet-of-the-apes-preview-1201870891/

Based on that and the quotes from Callie Hernandez I posted yesterday, I think Billy Crudup is basically the third lead of the film, sort of like Charlize Theron in Prometheus. It seems like Crudup and Waterston are MF's main scene partners.

Reactions: Morgane
I'm expecting critic reviews of AC to be more in line with this from Letterboxd:

I'm speechless. I was already expecting this to be rubbish, but this really went above and beyond expectations. It actually makes me feel bad for bashing 'Agent 47' and 'Warcraft'.
Judging by his other "reviews",I can't say that I care about what this guy has to say. I find the other letterboxd "review" more interesting because I expect similar reactions from people who are familiar with the game.

I'm curious as to what part Callie Hernandez plays. On the same note, Alien: Convenant is becoming more and more interesting, which is a good thing especially since Prometheus had it's fair share of issues.

Looking at the snippet of that bad letterboxd review and the more positive one posted above, I'm wondering if Kurzel, Michael, and everyone involved with the production tried too hard to appease gamers and didn't focus enough on creating a story more suitable for a film, instead of a game. I'm suppressing any hard judgement until I actually see it, however.
They've always said that they've approached this as a film that has to stand alone for those who don't know the game,and while I think that new characters give a bit of room to breath,this remains an Assassin's Creed movie that is supposed to be faithful to the franchise. Based on what I know about the game,I think it's one of the few games suitable for a film adaptation,but honestly I don't expect great character development or an intricate plot,and I'm pretty sure that minor characters will be thinly drawn. I've always thought that Kermode was right when he said that Macbeth was a fitting training ground for AC,so at least I expect a good response in terms of production values.

I collected post-screening tweets in a Moments here: https://twitter.com/i/moments/808878600040710144
From what I can tell, those people appear to be connected to Ubisoft in some way or else are gamers/youtubers/cosplayers. So a friendly audience - although, gamers have the potential to be the most critical group so I guess it's a good thing the movie at least appears to appeal to them.

And then there's this, from a critic :sad:View attachment 3547821
Yes,I agree. Apparently this guy is an AC community manager and it looks like many fans value his opinion.
‏@loomer979
I HAVE SEEN THE AC MOVIE!! Overall would give it 8.5/10, meaning I thought it was great. The historical Assassins being a highlight.

Great acting all around. Action scenes gave me chills. Biggest quibble is some slight contradictions with established lore, but...

Overall it fits VERY well in the established canon and universe of AC. Great job Ubisoft and Fox, you exceeded my expectations! :smile:
I don't know if that guy is a professional critic,and it looks like he doesn't know the games. The fact that he found it boring is his personal opinion,but I totally expect the "it's implausible" kind of criticism from those who don't know anything about the game.

Last edited:
Thanks for this! So somehow the first film festival of Macau understood and appreciated this film--but the film critic of (Variety, I think?) couldn't understand why they were all living in trailers. Got it.
I can't wait to see this!
:lol:

Live with Kelly:
tumblr_oi6y9gi4De1v7bb9qo1_400.gif

tumblr_oi6y9gi4De1v7bb9qo2_400.gif

tumblr_oi6y9gi4De1v7bb9qo3_400.gif

tumblr_oi6xsijwxI1rpfvpno3_400.gif
tumblr_oi6stiIQ6D1v7bb9qo1_500.gif

tumblr_oi6stiIQ6D1v7bb9qo6_400.gif
tumblr_oi6sa6Zibj1v7bb9qo1_400.gif
tumblr_oi6stiIQ6D1v7bb9qo9_400.gif

The last gif is scary.:P
Source: http://thefass.tumblr.com/

I'm expecting critic reviews of AC to be more in line with this from Letterboxd:

I'm speechless. I was already expecting this to be rubbish, but this really went above and beyond expectations. It actually makes me feel bad for bashing 'Agent 47' and 'Warcraft'.
I'm so torn on trusting this guy. On the one hand whose favorite movie is DONNIE ****ing DARKO, on the other hand he's spot on about Nocturnal Animals...

I'm so torn on trusting this guy. On the one hand whose favorite movie is DONNIE ****ing DARKO, on the other hand he's spot on about Nocturnal Animals...

Lol - can't work out why we're giving this one "review" so much weight and attention?? Ideal for natural born pessimists but I prefer to look for positives where possible! I've read several reactions from people who've seen AC and were wowed by it so.... fingers crossed that's replicated by at least some critics ... although there are very few of them I respect anyway!

At least he was appreciated by critics (see the various critics' polls,the LAFCA award ). SJ was damaged by the box office results and the bad press (Sorkin wasn't even nominated),but Leo had the "he's overdue" narrative" to win and he really campaigned for that Oscar. Everyone knew that he was going to win. The other actors weren't even in contention.. :lol: I agree the he deserved to win but sometimes the performance doesn't really matter.

Now they pay more attention to the critical reception of a film/performance,but if a film is not supported by a studio that is willing to campaign,it's not even considered. And we rarely see an actor who doesn't campaign winning. Last year Rylance was obviously supported by a big studio but I don't think he really campaigned . A24 didn't campaign for Vikander. But if Focus had campaigned for her in lead,she would have probably pulled off a double nomination because she became the critics' consensus choice for Ex Machina. Cotillard for Two Days,One Night was another similar case. But these are really exceptions.

Talking about TLBO,I've seen that it got quite positive reviews from French critics. Four stars from publications like Le Monde,Le Figaro Le Nouvel Observateur,Premiere.
There's no way they're going to do a sequel if this doesn't break even.

I agree,even if I like what he has done with the character. The next XMen film is New Mutants,so I guess we'll not see other news in the immediate future.

Why is why Oscars are largely meaningless; they should be awarded ONLY for an individual performance, nothing else should matter. Michael knows this and hence has a proper perspective [emoji6]

Why is why Oscars are largely meaningless; they should be awarded ONLY for an individual performance, nothing else should matter. Michael knows this and hence has a proper perspective [emoji6]

Every game has its own rules. If actors want to win they have to follow the rules of games , campaigning hard and do lots of handshaking.

I think the influence of Oscar worth the effort. It is very well known and reach to many corners of the world. Europe's 3 main film festivals are still not as commercial and well known.

Reactions: aprilmayjune
Well i like Donnie Darko so it's a matter of opinions/tastes but I don't agree with 90% of that guy's reviews, so...
I'm reading mainly positive stuff about AC, so far...

Re the Oscars, they're pretty ridiculous and don't aways praise good actors or good movies, just movies that stands out for some reasons. To me, Oscars don't have much to do with talent, and very few times I see a performance I love being rewarded. I put my "trust" way more in festivals. Esp Venice, Cannes, TIFF, Sundance, Berlin.. of course it is great when your favourite actors get a nom cos it's humbling and you get to see them during awards season.

Btw I'm so so so so glad AC is getting nice "reviews", I am less worried now, and the only reason I worry for is Michael's project, he put so much trust in AC I hope it turns out a success for him. :heart:

Loved his outfit @ live with Kelly!

Btw..
A French friend listened to a radio programme this morning and the presenter is a girl who loves artsy movies / independent movies which are movies I love too. This morning she talked about AC saying it's not the kind of movie she generally goes to see but she enjoyed it very very much, it's well made and she really liked it.

Reactions: Morgane