Michael Fassbender

I'm expecting critic reviews of AC to be more in line with this from Letterboxd:

I'm speechless. I was already expecting this to be rubbish, but this really went above and beyond expectations. It actually makes me feel bad for bashing 'Agent 47' and 'Warcraft'.

I'm expecting critic reviews of AC to be more in line with this from Letterboxd:

I'm speechless. I was already expecting this to be rubbish, but this really went above and beyond expectations. It actually makes me feel bad for bashing 'Agent 47' and 'Warcraft'.

Wow, doom and gloom already? There is another review on Letterboxd that is the complete opposite and goes into much more detail:

IMG_1481683295.867146.jpg

IMG_1481683321.368766.jpg

Let's hope this is a better indicator of reaction to AC!

Reactions: carmencrem
Wow, doom and gloom already? There is another review on Letterboxd that is the complete opposite and goes into much more detail:

Let's hope this is a better indicator of reaction to AC!

Here's the thing: this is actually an extremely critical review ("very meh script", "despairingly boring" dialogue, "sterile" performances). Those same issues registering in exactly the same way to professional critics is not going to result in 4/5 star reviews. AT BEST, they might give it a 2.5/5 star review.

I'm curious as to what part Callie Hernandez plays. On the same note, Alien: Convenant is becoming more and more interesting, which is a good thing especially since Prometheus had it's fair share of issues.

Looking at the snippet of that bad letterboxd review and the more positive one posted above, I'm wondering if Kurzel, Michael, and everyone involved with the production tried too hard to appease gamers and didn't focus enough on creating a story more suitable for a film, instead of a game. I'm suppressing any hard judgement until I actually see it, however.

I collected post-screening tweets in a Moments here: https://twitter.com/i/moments/808878600040710144
From what I can tell, those people appear to be connected to Ubisoft in some way or else are gamers/youtubers/cosplayers. So a friendly audience - although, gamers have the potential to be the most critical group so I guess it's a good thing the movie at least appears to appeal to them.

And then there's this, from a critic :sad:Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 10.32.45 PM.png

Last edited:
Here's the thing: this is actually an extremely critical review ("very meh script", "despairingly boring" dialogue, "sterile" performances). Those same issues registering in exactly the same way to professional critics is not going to result in 4/5 star reviews. AT BEST, they might give it a 2.5/5 star review.

I get that but you've just focussed on the critical points and in one case taken it out of context. There are several positives from that review and ultimately the reviewer says the film works and is enjoyable despite the negative aspects... and awards it 4.5.

TBH I've had a suspicion it will do better outside the USA, I've noticed that films set outside the US with a European cast tend not to do as well as those that American audiences can identify with via American locations/actors. Perhaps I'm overthinking this but I can't help suspecting it plays a part...

Just watched Trespass Against Us. Wow. I'm speechless, I liked it very very much. I found it difficult but in the end not even that much as I was expecting. Michael is so sweet in this movie, the kids are brilliant too and cute. I really really liked it. I laughed and cried, which is the perfect combination of feelings watching a movie. :heart: I'm so proud of Michael and glad he did this one. These are the movies I live for. Bonus: the soundtrack is beautiful.

Back to AC, I watched the Fallon's show and laughed so hard, from what I saw in some moments of TAU (but ADM, TLBO, Steve Jobs as well) Michael got a very funny side sometimes, even when you are not expecting anything funny at all. He should do some comedies, definitely! ;)

Not sure I'm gonna read many reviews this time, I'm pretty done,.. but well I'll read the best (which doesn't mean positive, but good clever ones) I find. :smile: