How do I buy a Birkin?

I am facinated with this thread.

Is the bottom line here that in the US not many Bikrens are allocated to the H stores as compared to Europe, thus the SA's make us "work for them".

Why is there so much emphasis on the accessories? I always thought those were add-ons to a sale? Have the SA's been instructed to only sell to someone who will represent the brand well ? ?

Again, I am facinated with this thread.

All I can say is that the Wall Street store manager told me to show up when doors open (everyday or whenever you can) and I would get a Birkin so anyone who can be in NYC should follow those instructions if they want a Birkin!!!!! This applies to the Wall Street store only!!!!

*Gulp* Still waiting after three years? Is that typical? I was thinking, a year, tops. Sounds pretty bleak:sad: . I could kick myself: several years ago, my husband was retained by the owner (confused about this - is ownership similar to a franchise arrangement??) of that particular shop (not sure if he still owns it) and he asked whether I was interested in a handbag. I foolishly passed. Ugh!:Push:

I bought my brown birkin from kop -waited 3 yrs also.Jill is a very nice SA there-go in,ask for her and introduce urself.She called me to tell me the orders were about to b put in .She is ordering the black birkin I signed up for 2 years ago(still have to wait another 6-12 months for it to come in!).It doesn't hurt to start the process-I had a bad experience on ebay with Hermes and I wouldnt buy there again.People do turn down their bags from time to time so get started!!!:smile:

I am facinated with this thread.

Is the bottom line here that in the US not many Bikrens are allocated to the H stores as compared to Europe, thus the SA's make us "work for them".

Why is there so much emphasis on the accessories? I always thought those were add-ons to a sale? Have the SA's been instructed to only sell to someone who will represent the brand well ? ?

Again, I am facinated with this thread.
I did not purchase a lot of accessories at my store-I had a older kelly reconditioned and purchased a watch in the 3 years it took for my birkin to arrive-the
sa told me how long it would b and she was right about the timing!

Honestly a lot of it is also luck & timing. The last time I was in H on Madison Ave, there was a 32cm black/palladium HAC just sitting there!! Of course, as soon as I let it slip out of my greedy little paws someone else snatched it up. If my husband had given me the OK on the phone, though, I would have walked out with it that day.

One other note, if you hear of a bag in an H boutique that is not near you, as long as it's in the same country you are in, you can probably go into your local boutique and ask them to have it sent to their store and pay for it in your local store.
Good luck!

All of the stores are a bit different, and again, it kind of depends on who you speak to at the moment.
They may or may not transfer a bag. I know for a fact that they do sometimes; it may depend on how nicely you ask though and if the person you are speaking to is having a good day or a bad day. :hrmm:

My personal take on forming relationships with SA's is that if the relationship occurs in a natural way, like for instance you just "click" with that person, it's much better than if you're sending them flowers, buying them lunch, etc. I think people will go out of their way for people they actually like a lot sooner than they will for people who are obviously tring to "get in good" at any cost (not that it isn't necessary sometimes!). If I were a SA, I would much prefer to receive a handwritten note than a fancy box of chocolates, for instance.

Of course, this is just my personal opinion and is not intended to insult anyone! Other people's approaches and opinions are bound to be different from mine, and that's what makes the world go round. :smile:

I think that Canada is like Europe, then. I've been in the store here in Toronto numerous times and could have easily walked out with any Kelly or Birkin on the floor. Today I was there and specifically said I was not interested in purchasing, only research, but the SA was practically begging me to take a Gold Swift home. And he listed all of the available Birkins in the back, too. So I'm not sure why in the US it seems to be a different system...?Maybe it depends on the SAs only?

Huh? What did you say? I was too busy running out the door to get to Toronto!!!
:roflmfao:

Seriously though, that is really awesome, and you're a lucky lady! Gold Swift, oy I bet that was a stunner. Did the Gold look lighter in Swift than in other leathers?

I have seen Birkins on the floor in Madison and they were basically up for grabs; they nearly always have Kellys available as well. Same in St. Martin when I was there recently (no Birkins, but several Kellys), and same in Greenwich, CT (not a standalone store) and to a limited extent Manhasset, NY. I actually haven't made it to the brand new Wall St. store yet, but from what I hear from my fellow NYers they do have enough Kellys and occasionally some Birkins available.

I spoke today with a store in a totally different state (but still in the US) and she was kind of hedging about sending me the bag until I offered to go into the Madison store and let them imprint my credit card, at which time they would ship the bag to Madison and I could pick it up. She said that would be totally fine. So, hmmm.

**edited because I wanted to be clear.

Europe seems to be a lot easier than the US is all I can make up from this thread.. I've walked into the Hermes store in Marbella (Spain) a few times *without having bought anything before* and you can simply ask to see one... No need to buy small accessories first.. or to "build a relationship with the SA"... which I find quite ridiculous? I mean if you want a bag they should be more than willing to sell it to anyone who pays for it, but that's my point of view. I mean surely they won't sell 10 birkins a day...

I totally agree that it's a little ridiculous to feel like you have to "suck up" to a salesperson in order to get let into the inner sanctum of Those Who Are Allowed To Buy. I honestly don't believe that it's absolutely necessary unless you want a SO or PO or something really, really hard to find.

That being said, they most certainly could sell 10 Birkins a day at Madison Ave! You would be amazed/horrified at the feeding frenzy that goes on there when there's one on the floor. It's really a sight to behold. (Not that I don't get in the middle of it, because I sometimes DO! LOL)

Huh? What did you say? I was too busy running out the door to get to Toronto!!!
:roflmfao:

Seriously though, that is really awesome, and you're a lucky lady! Gold Swift, oy I bet that was a stunner. Did the Gold look lighter in Swift than in other leathers?

I have seen Birkins on the floor in Madison and they were basically up for grabs; they nearly always have Kellys available as well. Same in St. Martin when I was there recently (no Birkins, but several Kellys), and same in Greenwich, CT (not a standalone store) and to a limited extent Manhasset, NY. I actually haven't made it to the brand new Wall St. store yet, but from what I hear from my fellow NYers they do have enough Kellys and occasionally some Birkins available.

I spoke today with a store in a totally different state (but still in the US) and she was kind of hedging about sending me the bag until I offered to go into the Madison store and let them imprint my credit card, at which time they would ship the bag to Madison and I could pick it up. She said that would be totally fine. So, hmmm.

**edited because I wanted to be clear.
Actually, I can't stop thinking about it. It was a bit lighter, yes- but not orangey at all. Just stunning. If it had sported Palladium hardware, I would be hawking a kidney right about now...
Toronto usually has Birkins and Kellys readily available and in the back. I really don't understand the discrepancy between the US and the rest of the world in this. I would never buy anything that I ws made to feel I had to be "worthy of". For that much money- they should bloody well be pleading with you to grace it with your presence!