How do I buy a Birkin?

that's exactly what my friend said :lecture:and she could not understand why i could have passed a light green ostrich 35 birkin in paris, i just couldn't convince myself to pay a fortune for something not in my dream~ :bagslap:

OMG! Ostich 35?? I thought Hermes didn't make Ostrich in 35 anymore! That was really a find! A part from that, you did the right thing in not getting it, if it wasn't what you really wanted.:smile:

Have you done a search and looked at these threads, among others:

Thanks a lot for helping out!
In deed I only read through half of the thread u had shown there, the others I didn't locate them ...
Sorry for all the newbie question bumping from here and there, and thanks a lot for the patient!!

Hi, is there a way of talk to the SA when looking for a birkin?

Like I read a lot of post sayin, u are not suppose to jump in and ask if they have a birkin in store, u need to "work ur way to it"

But how exactly is the "work ur way around it?"

Any tips? Tks for sharing ur experience.

Akiwa, I suggest you to go to stores outside Paris, I just got back from my trip to France and got a 35 epsom blue celeste birkin by just walking in the store in aix en provence, the girl who came in 10 min after me got the same bag too! I went to Paris afterwards for 4 days and saw no birkin or Kelly or anything.

Reactions: jiayu
Oh wow~~~ congratulation!!! I m sure that had complete your trip!
I will definitely take your advice and try visit other town on the weekend.

Did you just went in and ask for one immediately?

Oh wow~~~ congratulation!!! I m sure that had complete your trip!
I will definitely take your advice and try visit other town on the weekend.

Did you just went in and ask for one immediately?

I was actually looking for a couple of other stuffs at first, like the cashmere scarf and Toolbox for my friend, then the SA said they had not received any Toolbox for quite a while and asked if I would like to see anything else, then I just tried my luck and asked if she had any B or K, she said she would check for me and came back with the big orange box!

But the other girl who came in after me, just came in and asked for a K right away, and she got it too, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

I posted this experience in the inventory thread but I think it is more appropriate to post it here instead.

I've been working on the "relationship" with my SA in the SF store, and have been buying from the same SA since Jan, because when I first met this SA, I asked about the chances to get a birkin or kelly then she told me i need to spend more (especially in RTW). But today (should be yesterday now, since already passed 12:00am. hee hee), I was there waiting for my SA, because she was working with another customer, so I walked around in the store and while I was looking around, a couple came in (the lady was carrying a KNOCK OFF birkin, the shape was off and it has lace all over the "birkin"), they asked one of the available SA to show them the 25 croc birkin which was placed on the shelf, after they finished looking at the 25 croc, they talked to the SA a lil bit, then the SA went to the back and came out with a 35 Tosca birkin. As a repeat and loyal customer, I wasn't being offer a birkin but someone who carry a knock off birkin could get it within 15 mins after they walked into the store.......I'm really sick of this "buy more" game H is playing......, I mean if they play this game with every single customer who walk into their store, I'll follow the rule but that just not the case. I was so sad when I saw they brought out the birkin to a walk in......So I believe it's not all about how much you have spent or how loyal to the SA/store, it's all about luck. Sorry this is a bit long and Thanks for listening.

you are so lucky we got empty hand in paris this year
Akiwa, I suggest you to go to stores outside Paris, I just got back from my trip to France and got a 35 epsom blue celeste birkin by just walking in the store in aix en provence, the girl who came in 10 min after me got the same bag too! I went to Paris afterwards for 4 days and saw no birkin or Kelly or anything.

Reactions: jiayu
I've been working on the "relationship" with my SA in the SF store, and have been buying from the same SA since Jan, because when I first met this SA, I asked about the chances to get a birkin or kelly then she told me i need to spend more (especially in RTW). But today (should be yesterday now, since already passed 12:00am. hee hee), I was there waiting for my SA, because she was working with another customer, so I walked around in the store and while I was looking around, a couple came in (the lady was carrying a KNOCK OFF birkin, the shape was off and it has lace all over the "birkin"), they asked one of the available SA to show them the 25 croc birkin which was placed on the shelf, after they finished looking at the 25 croc, they talked to the SA a lil bit, then the SA went to the back and came out with a 35 Tosca birkin. As a repeat and loyal customer, I wasn't being offer a birkin but someone who carry a knock off birkin could get it within 15 mins after they walked into the store.......I'm really sick of this "buy more" game H is playing......, I mean if they play this game with every single customer who walk into their store, I'll follow the rule but that just not the case. I was so sad when I saw they brought out the birkin to a walk in......So I believe it's not all about how much you have spent or how loyal to the SA/store, it's all about luck. Sorry this is a bit long and Thanks for listening.

Sorry to hear this :sad:

I think everyones experience is different, but personally I don't buy the 'personal relationship with an SA' argument. I think this helps H to sell more items, but from what I've heard, it doesn't always help the high-spending customers to get the items and service they want.

I've bought from numerous H stores worldwide, and on the two occasions I've bought bags instore (one birkin, one kelly) they were during random walk-ins (to one French and one English store), and I bought from SAs whom I'd never met before. Although, they did take my details and already had me on their computer systems, maybe from purchases in other stores or online? I'm not saying this to show off, just to say that I think H staff are probably instructed to make an opinion of you, perhaps of your lifestyle and motives, on the spot. So yes, an element of luck, but also a large dose of first impressions. If it helps, when I bought my birkin I'd walked into an H store heavily pregnant, dressed VERY scruffy and carrying an old beaten up BBK. I obviously didn't look like a reseller :biggrin:

If you're really bursting to buy a birkin in store, I'd recommend the Toronto store. I visited there twice in 2010 and only bought scarves but was shown LOTS of birkins, none I 'needed' at the time thankfully, as the exchange rate wasn't good!

I just bought my first Hermes bag ever yesterday and it was kind of unintended.I was visiting my parents and decided to check out the local Hermes Boutique( which is teeny tiny with only one SA) because I was looking to buy some Jumping Boots as the Boutique in my city never has them in stock.

It turned out they had black Jumping Boots in my size and of course I decided to buy them. The SA then asked me if I was interested in their bags and I told her that I am mostly clueless about Hermes bags and the only one I kind of would like to see is a black Constance ( a friend of mine has one in blue and it's such a great little bag).

She didn't have a Contance but she came back with the most goregous bag I have ever seen: A black 35 Birkin in Vache Trekking ( I hope that is spelled correct).

I honestly never saw myself as someone who would buy Hermes bags ( and most certainly not a Birkin) but it was love at first sight.

To make a long story short: I walked out with my boots and the bag. The bad thing is I think I am hooked now.

I posted this experience in the inventory thread but I think it is more appropriate to post it here instead.

I am sorry to hear this. I am quite new to these forums as well but I also don't buy the whole relationship thing. I think you should try another salesperson. They are a profit-making company at the end and I have a feeling if they can see I am planning to buy the bag, they will show it to me. Having said that, I have not brought a Hermes before.